2,566 results
All reviewsrural societywhite housenice hotelroom servicefew blocksmini barwithin walking distancehotel restaurantsight seeingnational mallfitness centervalet parkingmetro stopdupont circleloewsconciergelobby
Reviewed December 12, 2017

I planned to stay here twice in August. Once for one night at the start of the month. And my next visit 10 days later for 3 nights. I left a review for my first stay which i loved. I didn't think i'd need to write another review for my second stay, but i feel i must. I took a risk booking the same hotel but i booked the same type of room twice, which was a 'terrace room'. Even though they messed up my booking, the stay was pleasant and i liked the staff a lot. They worked hard to rectify their mess up and my issue. They made sure they block the correct room so when i came back for my second visit there wouldn't be any surprises. They upgraded my booking and gave me a free dinner and breakfast to keep me happy. As i checked in this time round, the lobby was so busy but i was seen to quickly. This time, the staff was not as pleasant. In fact, a bit pompous and argumentative. I had come off a long flight, and to be told with an eye roll that no staff can block a room and that i've just been given a regular room was very upsetting. Made his previous colleagues sound incompetent. After i told him what the staff did last time (i remember the check out lady said i've made sure nothing can get in the way of the booking and getting the room i PAID FOR) - he kept repeating himself that i'd be getting a regular room. He wasn't even trying to look into it. Then when he got over his pompous attitude he realised i was right and they had blocked a terrace room for me. Which is what i paid for. He made some lame excuse about why he was being stubborn and blamed the site i booked with... typical. The room i chose is dearer than the room he was trying to put me in. The whole thing was just unnecessary and total polar opposite to what i experienced a few weeks before in the same hotel. Moving on, i asked for my stored luggage (left it with them after i checked out first time round, and they kept it safe for me for 10 days which i appreciated). I handed pompous receptionist the luggage tag that i was given last time upon check out. Low and behold, a whole different suitcase comes out. I tell the doorman and the pompous receptionist that this isn't my luggage. His response 'well thats the ticket you gave me' ...i said it isn't... he said it is... he is trying to tell me what suitcase i own.... interesting.
Me: it's not my bag but if you insist i can take it up to my room and open it
i said it with a smile and joking attitude which is not how i should have handled that staff member at this point....i then turned to doorman and described exactly what my backpack was (which was a small shoulder backpack not a huge suitcase) ... doorman disappeared and came back with the correct luggage. Once again the receptionist was adamant he was right and i was wrong and had another lame excuse as to why he thought he had the right to act the way he did.
It's just not what you are used to in a hotel - the customer is always right....and I WAS RIGHT. He needs to accommodate me and humour me even if i am totally wrong. Thats his job surely. He needs to take a huge step back and put on a game face when dealing with travellers. I'd spent the last 3-4 weeks in diff hotels in America and no one spoke to me like that. I came down again from my room later on to settle the hotel fees in cash and he proved even further that he was just downright rude. I chose to not deal with him for the rest of my 3 days. I noticed an attitude shift when he asked what i did for a living and i told him. I don't need to wear my work uniform around to get respect from you. Even a young traveller with no 'impressive' job deserves good customer service as any paying customer....not just who you deem is at your level. Disgraceful. Never had that type of interaction and i've stayed in better hotels in every single continent.
Considering how nice everyone else was during my first stay, this was a big unpleasant surprise.
Aug is hot month and i got a few bottles of water from a supermarket, the fridge in the room had a sign saying if you move something you pay for it. I called housekeeping and asked them to make room for me in the fridge to chill my own drinks, they said it will cost me $25 to do that. Obscene. Once again, i've made that request in 10's of hotels and the response is yes sir. Not please pay $25 to use the fridge in you room....?!!!!
The room itself was perfect and exactly what i thought i was paying for. Spacious, the balcony is private and beautiful. Furniture and housekeeping / room service all good. Breakfast was great. My only issue with the room is the water pressure in the toilet. It was VERY poor. Same comment with the other room i stayed in during my first visit. Shower pressure is soooo weak and NEEDS to be improved. The silly fridge embargo is ridiculous and my interaction on multiple occasions with that staff member made this visit average/poor. Shame really, ruined all the hard work the staff did on my first visit. I loved DC and would happily go again. Would i go back here for a third trip? Not sure now....had the room been a disappointment the 3 star would be a 2 or even a 1.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
Paolo P, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2017

Dear Abdulwahab A,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience; I am truly sorry that you were treated in such a manner at this hotel. Since your stay in August, this hotel has gone through a complete service re-training and has converted to a Hilton property. I can assure you that your previous experience is not indicative of this hotel and the high standards that we hold in place. Please feel free to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to the Washington D.C area so that I may ensure that your next stay with us is flawless.

Reviewed December 9, 2017 via mobile

This place looked like a quaint place to stay. We came in, put our belongings in the room and left for dinner and a symphony. We got back to our room about 1145. The remote and TV would not turn on. We called the front desk. 30+ minutes later someone showed up to check it out. The TV would not turn on with the remote or at the tv. With any Hilton resort I expect much more. Functioning rooms. Amenities that work. Etc. very disappointed. Plus the $50 a night parking. That’s 1/2 as much as the room. Absolute sham. Especially that they don’t give that information up front. I won’t be back to this hotel again.

Stayed: December 2017
1  Thank Bryanwvu
Paolo P, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2017

Dear Bryanwvu,

Please accept our apology regarding the unsatisfactory service you experienced during your recent stay with us. Service is our number one priority and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. The appropriate managers have been informed of your experience and they will address them to their team members. We hope this experience does not tarnish your image of our hotel. We know it will be difficult to re-grain your trust, but should you decide to give us more opportunities to be at your service please do not hesitate to reach out to DCAKE_GM@hilton.com.

Reviewed December 8, 2017

I travel with Hilton so was pleased to be offered a fun upgrade at no charge (it was Thursday) to a suite-style room. The room was a huge corner room on 14th floor with great views. Only down side was I do agree the in-room snack prices were extraordinary as was the super-crazy restaurant prices ($19 for a burger and fries, so for two of those with three mixed drinks our bill with tip was over $80) But ok, it is DC. The room was gorgeous though, bed comfy and the staff was super-nice. I only live an hour away so it was just a fun night out in DC. Cabs right outside hotel (just $10 including tip to go to Lincoln Theater event) didn't even need to bother with Uber.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear Lab12345,

On behalf of the entire team at The Madison Washington D.C, we thank you for sharing the details of your recent visit to our hotel on TripAdvisor.

At The Madison Washington D.C, we pride ourselves on our personalized service, and we are so glad that you were able to experience this first hand.

Please let us know when you will be returning to our Nation's Capital, as we would love to welcome you back as our guest.

Reviewed December 7, 2017

Extremely disappointed, no in room coffee or tea, in room water and snacks overpriced. Housekeeping either doesn't come or comes very late. Bed sagged and dipped, needs updating. Lighting poor, some lights did not work. No usb plugs.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank sistemadellastella

Dear sistermadellastella,

Please accept our apology regarding your unsatisfactory experience during your recent stay with us. Providing remarkable service & delightful amenities are our priorities and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. The appropriate managers have been informed of your experience and they will address them to their team members. We hope this experience does not tarnish your image of our hotel.

Reading your feedback was not easy; we genuinely apologize again for having disappointed you so much.

Reviewed December 6, 2017 via mobile

No coffee in room. Beds are a little uncomfortable. TV works sporadically, randomly changes channels, half the functions on the remote don't work. Prices for snacks in room outrageous. Room is nice, although smaller than most I'm used to in DC. Lobby is beautiful. Great location. Wonderful bar

Stayed: December 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael F
Paolo P, General Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2017

Dear Michael F,

Feedbacks with issues help us strive to do better, your positive feedback make it all worth while. We genuinely appreciate the positive comments and we hope you come back soon and tell us how we did the next time around.

Kind Regards,