“Very spacious and clean”

Loews Madison Hotel
Ranked #76 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very spacious and clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very spacious, we paid an extra $20 per night for a view looking out towards the city, although to be honest we couldn't see very much except for the street so not really worth it. The lamps in the room were not very easy to switch on etc, but we got it in the end.

The counter staff and concierge was friendly, but when asking the concierge about tours etc, he seemed a bit more interested in selling private tours rather than giving us information about the bus tours.

We had a late night meal at the restaurant as we got back from a tour late - although a limited menu, the burgers were delicious! The barman had a bit of a slip up, but he recovered well so I won't go into it. They also have a steakhouse restaurant which has a lovely looking menu.

Overall, a great stay, nice location and good service all round. I would recommend it!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Neal S,
We appreciate your time to review our property. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms to be spacious. The views we offer are either interior or exterior views, the latter of which provides a street view except for some of our top floor suites. Thank you for mentioning our friendly front desk staff. Regarding the concierge’s recommendation, I will speak with them to ensure we are offering guests the full spectrum of suggestions and tips about touring the city.

It’s great to hear your meal in PostScript was delicious! We do have a brand new Chef Jose Garces Argentine steakhouse restaurant in addition, called Rural Society, which offers wood-fired meats, fish and vegetables, and pizzas and pastas.

Thank you for recommending our property! We hope you can return for future stays with Loews Madison.

Cheraz Ecker, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

I checked into the hotel today, and had to write a review to praise the front desk staff. I arrived in the morning after a very early morning flight. I was planning to drop my bag with the conceirge and head off for my meeting. The front desk staff (Sylvia) was wonderful and immediately welcomed me and accomodated an early check in. Seeing that I am pregnant she made sure I had cold water and everything I might need to make my stay comfortable. Small things like that make such a big difference! The hotel is clean, the rooms are large and well decorated and it is very centrally located. Thank you for the wonderful DC welcome!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Duncan800
Dear Duncan800,
Thank you for staying with us while visiting DC and for sharing such wonderful comments. Our staff is the heart of our property, and I am delighted your experienced their welcoming, accommodating approach to service. Sylvia is a shining example of this, and we all appreciate her genuine warmth and care. Thank you for recognizing her! You’re absolutely right that the small things can make all the difference, and we work hard to take care of the details.

I’m glad you liked our spacious rooms and convenient location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back anytime you travel to DC.

Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Concierge's recommendation on tour guide made the most memorable part of our trip. Would highly recommend hotel. Wish they had told us about $50 charge for parking our rental car at hotel before trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Rick S,
Thank you for this feedback. I am so happy that our knowledgeable and professional concierge team, who are recognized in the city as some of the best, helped to make your trip so memorable. They delight in helping create experiences that are personalized to each guest. Regarding parking, the cost of our overnight parking with come and go privileges is communicated on our website, but I am sorry you didn’t know of this.

We appreciate you staying with Loews Madison and hope you will return!

Naples, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I are taking our kids to Washington DC for the "Big" summer vacation. We booked a 7-day stay at the Loew's Madison Hotel 5 months ago. We also made sure we chose the reservation that allowed for cancellation should anything arise causing us to have to change our trip.

Our plans have changed slightly, so we contacted Loew's regarding our reservation. We wanted to shorten our stay to a 4-day stay, but keep the same arrival date. Since their rates have now risen since we booked in March, they want to double our nightly day rates to modify our reservation. So basically, it would now cost us MORE money to stay in the same room, at the same hotel, but for 4 days rather than the 7 days should we modify our reservation.

The first representative on the phone tried to explain that I received a "discount" for booking a 7-day stay in the first place. I've never heard of such hogwash. When my wife spoke to the manager, they obviously didn't care because we all know they can rent the room out at a higher rate now, than when they committed to us in March.

Ethics people... I'm talking about corporate Ethics. I encourage ALL companies to have a business model that promotes profitability. However, there is nothing more bothersome than to have companies lie to you over the phone, and then try to extort money money from you.

The property may be nice, but I strongly encourage you to reconsider staying at this hotel, or any Loew's property. Such a shame. The CEO and management of Loew's should be ashamed of themselves. There are many other choices in ALL cities where Loew's is available. Please choose another provider.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Kevin K
Dear Kevin K,
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. I am extremely disappointed in reading your comments. Although you have spoken with my Director of Rooms since posting your review, I am glad for the chance to respond to you as well. First and foremost, please accept my sincerest apologies for the frustrating experience with your reservation. As with most hotels, longer lengths of stay may often receive a lower rate than shorter stays. That said, in the future or if other guests experience a reservation challenge, please know we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you from our property level to alleviate any concerns or challenges before your plans are changed. Our management team works hard to ensure we meet guests’ individualized needs as much as possible. As a result of this, I will speak with our reservations team about our change in reservation policy and ensure we are effectively communicating with our guests.

Thank you again for your review –we take very seriously all guest input including where we are doing well and constructive feedback. Mr. Adam or I would welcome a call from you at (202) 862-1600 to discuss any other details of your experience. I hope you might give us an opportunity in the future to regain your confidence in Loews.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Spent two nights here while attending a conference at another hotel.
Check-in was efficient and friendly, even though front desk had to be reminded that rate included continental breakfast. Breakfast in the restaurant was efficiently served. The guest room was plush and comfortable. Dealing with the thermostat to change room temperature was technically challenging. A bit difficult to adjust the exact water temperature for showers.
I would have traded in the mini-bar for a refrigerator and coffee maker. There is Starbuck's near the lobby.
I took advantage of the free shuttle within 3 miles of the hotel. The two drivers were personable and helped me tolerate the traffice jams.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Kelvin L,
Thank you very much for reviewing your Loews Madison stay. I’m glad you encountered our friendly staff but I do apologize for the inconvenience with continental breakfast as part of your rate. It’s good to hear the room was comfortable, and I will message you privately to get your room number so we can investigate your thermostat and shower. Guests should be able to adjust both of these with ease.

Like many other urban, luxury properties, we do offer a mini-bar in our rooms. The Starbucks barista bar in our lobby is a recent property addition as a convenience for our guests. I’m glad you enjoyed the complimentary FIAT drop-off ride service – it has become very popular with our guests!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to DC.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Great hotel in a convenient location for a holiday trip. Polite friendly staff, lovely breakfast in restaurant where staff were very attentive. Bright and airy lobby area very welcoming. One of the nicest hotels we have stopped in.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Gillian S,
Thank you very much for your review. It’s such a compliment to hear we on your list of nicest hotels, and we appreciate the positive feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed our convenient location, which both our leisure guests and business travelers appreciate, as well as breakfast in the restaurant. Thanks also for highlighting our friendly staff- they are the heart of our property!

Thank you very much for choosing Loews Madison in Washington, DC, and I sincerely hope you will return anytime you are in our area.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

The hotel is ideally located, especially for those who enjoy a bit of a walk it is possible to get to Union station and Georgetown in the opposite direction. The hotel is what your would expect from a fairly large chain hotel. The rooms are big and the quality of the decor is high. However they are starting to look dated. The lamps in my room crackled before coming on properly and the pillows and bed sash re-placed onto my bed everyday looked shabby and (being honest here) unhygienic.

The hotel is what you would expect from a business hotel. Nice bar in the rural society. Great mix of drinks and a lovely terrace on the side of the hotel. The location was quiet but felt like a safe area.

• Stayed July 2014
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Han230,
Thank you very much for your time to review your stay. I appreciate you mentioning our ideal location in Washington, DC, which is walking distance to the White House and within about two miles of both Georgetown and Union Station as you note. Although you found the décor high quality, I’m disappointed hearing you thought it was dated. We renovated all our guests rooms in the past couple of years – that said, Loews is continuously looking to improve and update our properties and this feedback is important to planning how we will invest in Loews Madison going forward. Thank you for sharing with us.

I’m excited that you enjoyed our brand new restaurant, Rural Society! It is celebrity Chef Jose Garces’ first ever Washington, DC restaurant – a new Argentine steakhouse concept. Excited you liked our beverage selection (including hand-crafted cocktails, extensive wines, whiskeys and beer). We do have a lovely outdoor patio too!

Thank you again for your feedback and for staying with Loews Madison.