“Great location, lots of history!”

Loews Madison Hotel
Ranked #73 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Great location, lots of history!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is in the heart of the White House district. You have a 10 minute walk to the white house, even less to the metro station. The doormen and cleaning staff were exceptionally nice. I enjoyed the restaurant, perfect for evening drinks of late night snacks. The rooms are a bit small, but pleasant. The room was very clean and tidy, there is a mini bar but no coffee maker. There is a Starbucks in the lobby for us coffee fiends. Sounds travels a bit too easily here so bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper, hall noise can be heard in the room.
1 Thank Melissa J
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Melissa J,
Thank you very much for reviewing your Loews Madison stay. I’m glad you enjoyed our ideal location which is just a few blocks to the White House and walking distance to a few Metro lines! In fact, the McPherson Square Metro is only about two and half blocks from us. Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff, which I consider to be our property’s best asset.

Our whole team is thrilled about your restaurant feedback as we just opened Rural Society by Chef Jose Garces in early July 2014. It has been well received by locals and guests! We hope our guests will take advantage of having an Iron Chef’s only DC restaurant right in the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed the room but was sorry to hear the sound may have bothered you. We do not frequently hear this issue from guests, but thank you for letting us know. We sincerely hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back anytime you visit DC.

Cheraz Ecker, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ferndale, MI
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We booked the Loews for a weekend getaway to DC in late May. My prerequisites were a central location and an upscale, comfortable (and clean!) room. The Loews delivered on all accounts. I shopped around - hotel rates were pricey for the weekend, as one would expect, so I used a discount travel site to book, not knowing exactly which hotel we'd get until the reservation was finalized. We paid $180/night, I believe, when all other hotels (most of which were nowhere near as nice as Loews) were priced way over $200/night.

I thoroughly enjoyed my two-night stay. There was no noise at night, the room was spacious enough, it was nicely decorated and clean. And we were pleased with the A/C output, which can sometimes disappoint in a hotel. I typically bring my own shampoo/conditioner, like most women, I'd imagine. I have to say I loved the products at Loews - they were top-end and a nice surprise!

Like other reviewers noted, the location is superb. We walked everywhere during our stay, hitting all the major tourist spots, while still being close enough to discover some local haunts near Logan Circle.

We had the opportunity to grab a few local craft beers at the hotel bar - a small but nice selection on tap.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay at the Loews Madison again in the future!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aliasrlm
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear aliasrlm,
Thank you very much for reviewing your Loews Madison visit. I’m absolutely delighted you had a great stay, and we delivered on all your priorities for your DC destination hotel. It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed our excellent location and the upscale and comfortable environment we have worked to create at our property.

I’m glad you found the room spacious with nice features including our bath products. We often hear from guests who thoroughly enjoy our convenient location, and I’m glad you took advantage of this to explore DC’s major attractions and nearby neighborhood areas like Logan Circle.

Since your stay in May, I’m excited to let you know we opened our new restaurant, celebrity-Iron Chef Jose Garces' Rural Society, an Argentine steakhouse offering fire-grilled meats, fish, vegetables and pastas and flatbread pizzas. It also features an extensive wine list, whiskey collection and several beers.

Thank you very much for choosing Loews in Washington, DC, and I sincerely hope you will return anytime your travels bring you to DC.

Washington
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is run by people who act like indentured servants. They act like you are an inconvenience, except for the bell staff and Mohammed in Post Script, the bar.
The staff takes a long time to check in, check out. The restaurant staff is horrible. They don't bring you water or introduce themselves. They act high and mighty, and they make fun of the guests.
If this hotel starts training its staff, it may have a prayer of a chance.
I put my Do Not Disturb sign on my door. and housekeeping knocked several times on several occasions, once because the front desk didn't tell them I was staying another night.
There's Always a threat of housekeeping waking you up and barging in, despite the sign. There's also a threat of room service waking you up for your tray! so you have to place a heavy tray on the floor outside your room within 30 minutes of ordering. very annoying bc sometimes you fall asleep after eating.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

2 Thank D B
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear DB,
Thank you for taking time to express your concerns. I am extremely disappointed to read that you felt some of our team members were less than friendly. We take great pride in our reputation for service excellence and a friendly, professional staff. Please accept my sincerest apologies for various service issues you encountered during your stay. Upon reading your feedback, I personally addressed your concerns with our Director of Rooms and Restaurant Manager. I appreciate you highlighting positive experiences you had with our bellmen and restaurant server and will make sure they are recognized.

I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to host you at a future date so we can provide a top notch Loews Madison experience which you deserve.

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Myself & family stayed at Loews Madison 30 Jun, for 7 nights on family vacation, We had a great time and thanks to all staff for making our holiday most memorable. All staff were most friendly and nothing was a problem. Reception was most efficient of any hotel I have stayed at. Every member of staff went extra mile to ensure our vacation was memorable. Staff greeted us each time by our name which was a nice touch. I have no hesitation in recommending Loews Madison as hotel to stay in Washington DC.

Dear Jim M,
Thank you very much for choosing us as your Washington, DC destination hotel recently and sharing such wonderful comments about your stay. I’m so happy our team members helped make your holiday most enjoyable. Hearing about guests who feel welcomed and that they are “at home” while staying with us always brings a smile to my face, and I’m proud that our dedicated staff helped to create this experience for you.

Thank you so much for recommending Loews Madison as a great hotel for travelers visiting DC. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back here for stays in the future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our room was very comfortable with great beds and a well appointed bathroom. Plenty of cupboard space as well. Breakfast at Postscript was always quick and delicious with attentive waitrons! We loved that there was a Starbucks in the hotel as well!It is really the staff that should be complimented: We needed a doctors prescription for my sons medication that went missing during our three weeks holiday and the concierge was quick to assist. The area is quiet over the weekend, since it is situated in a business district. However a 15 minute stroll from White House. Some great Restaurants in area! Fabulous "southern" food and Georgia Brown's two blocks down the road.

Dear Anke M,
We appreciate your time to review Loews Madison. I’m very happy you experienced our friendly staff- they work hard to provide professional service and everything our guests need. I am glad they assisted you promptly with your medication needs.

It’s great to know you found everything comfortable and well appointed! Thank you for pointing out our convenient location in DC which is a few blocks from the White House. We’re fortunate to not only have two restaurants on property but also to be located near the busy culinary scene on and around the 14th Street area. We opened our newest restaurant, Rural Society an Argentine steakhouse by Iron Chef Jose Garces, in July 2014. Georgia Brown’s is a fun spot for Southern Cuisine very close to the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you’ll return to Loews Madison anytime your travels bring you to Washington, DC.

Folsom, California, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Very attentive staff, from check in to check out. The restaurants were very good, a little pricy but I expect that in a hotel. The bed was amazing!

The only improvements I can suggest are to improve the in-room WiFi (very slow and spotty - several times I turned it off and used 4G) and swap the mini bar for an in-room fridge.

Other than that, highly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Kent R,
Thank you very much for your time to review your stay. I’m very happy you experienced our team members’ attentive and professional service as this is our top priority. I’m glad you the bed was so comfortable and you enjoyed our restaurant. Hopefully you had a chance to try Rural Society by celebrity-Iron Chef Jose Garces, which we just opened in early July 2014.

We always appreciate our guests’ feedback including positive comments and areas for improvement. I have asked my management team to conduct more checks into the complimentary in-room WiFi as a result. Regarding the mini bar, like many other urban luxury properties, we offer this as an added amenity for our guests to enjoy without having to leave the room.

Thank you very much for highly recommending our property. We appreciate you choosing to stay with Loews Madison and hope to welcome you back for future visits.

Kensington, Maryland
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I took my wife to the Madison Hotel for her birthday celebration. It was one of the best, if not the best time, we have had in over 30 years of marriage. The concierge arranged for champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries to be in our room when we arrived. Desk, luggage, housekeeping and room service were excellent. Hotel dining was a treat. The hotel was within walking distance of China Town and several Smithsonian museums. While walking, we discovered two wonderful, small museums, the National Museum of Women in the Arts, and the National Geographic, which we had never visited. We look forward to our next stay at the Madison Hotel.

Room Tip: Tenth floor suite was very roomy and well maintained. Great view overlooking M and 15th streets. A...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Dear JimL4500,
Thank you very much for your comments, and please know we are touched by your personal and positive feedback. I am delighted that Loews Madison and our team could be part of making this a very special birthday weekend for your wife. Happy birthday to her! We strive to give guests personalized and memorable experiences, and I’m glad the entire helped make this happen for you.

It’s always nice to hear about the DC sites our guests enjoy visiting, and the two museums you mention are wonderful. The National Geographic Museum is just two blocks away, with the National Museum of Women in the Arts being walking distance too. We are fortunate to be in such a convenient location, including being a few blocks from Metro lines and the White House.

We very much look forward to your future stays and welcoming you back in our doors. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison for your DC visit!

Cheers,