“Amazing hotel, excellent staff!”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #89 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently took a weekend trip with my sister to D.C. For the first time. We decided to stay at the Loews Madison and we are so glad that we did! Upon our arrival we were greeted by Sylvia at the front desk who never stopped trying to make it the best possible trip for us. She upgraded our room and was extremely helpful answering all of our questions about the area. She honestly went out if her way, above and beyond her job description, to make this a very memorable trip. The rooms were beautiful and classy, and the bar and restaurant area was very nice and cozy. We will definitely be returning to this hotel and recommend it to anyone traveling to the area!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear a c,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We’re so glad you found the hotel amazing and experienced our staff showing you how much they genuinely care about your stay and experience in DC. The fact that our service contributed to creating a very memorable trip is an enormous compliment. Sylvia is a shining star on our Front Desk team, and we have heard from many other guests how friendly and caring she is. I applaud her strong commitment to top notch, genuine service, and we are fortunate to have her. I will gladly share this with her and other team members who are doing great work!

I’m very happy you enjoyed the rooms and public area, and found them beautiful and comfortable. We are so excited to know you will return and appreciate you recommendation to others. Please let us know the next time you’re in DC, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Justin Adam

Write a ReviewReviews (2,319)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked this hotel for a last minute 2 night trip with our 11 year old daughter. Our only plans were to visit the museums. The staff was friendly and pleasant and eager to help especially Jose the doorman and the concierge Milan.
The hotel and room were very clean. We booked an executive terrace king suite on line for $289 a night - our package included a $50 food and drink credit per day as well as premium internet (regular internet is available in all rooms). It was the same price with or without the package, so we of course chose the package. The room was big and the sofa opened to accommodate our daughter. The terrace was definitely a nice plus, but the view wasn't anything special. We also liked the fact that there was a Keurig in the room. Being an avid Keurig user and knowing about this amenity in advance, I brought some K-cups with us to use. There is a refrigerator in the room, but, it was full of expensive soft drinks and spirits. I just took the items out and was able to use it. Our only complaint about the room is that there is nowhere and I mean nowhere to put anything down in the bathroom and not even a place to put a towel to have it ready for when you come out of the shower.
The overnight parking rate is $50, which being from New York, didn't shock us. We paid it as we didn't want to be bothered with street parking and had planned to cab it to the mall anyway. Again, being from New York, we are used to walking, but, when we did walk back from the mall it was definitely a haul.
We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was maybe at best ok and not worth the price even with our $50 credit. We ordered room service for breakfast and it was good and the prices were average for hotel breakfast. We completed the breakfast order form the night before and room service arrived exactly on time! The only problem with the hotel food not being consistent is that there are not many restaurants close-by.
Overall, we liked the hotel and would consider staying there again during nice weather as long as we did some research in advance for places to eat.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Marni E

Dear Marni E,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I appreciate your positive remarks and am glad to hear you found the hotel nice, and our staff helpful and friendly. Jose and Milan are two wonderful examples of the personalized, professional service we strive for every team member to provide to make our guests feel most comfortable and welcome!

It’s wonderful you enjoyed your room’s terrace and the complimentary amenity of the Keurig coffee maker, which is in all our rooms. Also, as a standard for our luxury property, we do provide a mini-bar. I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed about the bathroom and do want to let others know that 98% of our Loews Madison bathrooms have ample counter space and areas to place a towel. Our ADA rooms do have limited space for both as they must meet requirements for accessibility. We would love to ensure on a future visit that you are in a room with plenty of counter space.

I’m glad room service was prompt and good but disappointed you didn’t enjoy the restaurant. We do look forward to opening a brand new, second on-property restaurant in summer 2014 – by Iron Chef Jose Garces! Also, we are located in a spot with numerous restaurants within 3 blocks walking distance from the hotel, largely in the 14th Street area (we are on 15th St. and M St.), and our concierge is always happy to make recommendations!

Thank you again for choosing Loews Madison, and we would love the chance to welcome you back and provide a memorable experience for your next DC visit.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I really enjoyed my brief stay at the Loews Madison Hotel! I booked my trip with one day notice and the staff not only accommodated my but also made sure my stay was pleasant one. I specifically want to thank Diana Messamore who made the reservation process extremely easy! I would definitely stay at the Madison again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Netski2014
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Netski2014,
Thank you for very much for taking the time to share this feedback. I’m very happy it was a fabulous stay, and couldn’t be more pleased you experienced the friendly, accommodating service our guests have come to look forward to when staying at Loews Madison Hotel! I have gladly shared your feedback with Diana Messamore, our Reservations Manager – she is a wonderful member of our team. Thank you for noting how pleasant your stay was, and that you would stay again. We would love to welcome you back to Loews Madison anytime you travel to DC.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

The rooms are modern with plenty of room, and the bed was extremelly comfortable. Since my last stay, the room now has a Keurig, which is a great amenity for coffee in the morning. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Noel C,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us- and thank you for returning to Loews Madison! I’m so glad it was comfortable and to hear that you enjoyed the room’s features. We always strive to provide a supremely comfortable stay, and I’m thrilled we delivered. Our staff is committed to helpful, personalized service, and I’m excited you saw this! It's great to hear you liked the complimentary Keurig coffee maker and coffee in-room – we’ve heard from several guests this is a convenient and enjoyable offering, and we’re happy to provide it. We would love to welcome you back to Loews Madison Hotel whenever your travels bring you to DC.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

By reading others comments, i evidently had a fluke of a stay with several events combining to make me just not want to stay at another loews ever again. I stayed at this hotel because my husband had a conference to attend and this was the hotel we were told by the organizers to stay at.
At check in (Sunday afternoon) we were asked if we had a preference of floor level - i said, high. The desk clerk stated that with our room type, the highest we could go was five. In itself, you really cares what floor you are on as long as i'm not at ground level (for security issues). However, it seemed strange that the desk clerk would bring up "our type of room". Whatever. The room itself felt a bit cramped. In fact, I had to stand in the hallway while the bellman unloaded our luggage as there wasn't enough room for him to manuever with me in the room as well. The room itself was nicely appointed with all that you would expect.
The real issues started that night - the heating element had something lose and everytime the heat would kick in, the whole unit vibrated. I got very little sleep that night but as my husband slept thru it, didn't want to disturb him (he had a conference to attend the following day) so I put up with it. I did however go directly down first thing in the morning to let the front desk know and that it would be appreciated if someone would please fix it. I had a lovely breakfast at the hotel dining room. Everything was prepared exactly as requested. After breakfast I went back to the room and got ready for my day. I called down to have my car brought round (valet is required) and was first told, it would be ready in 30 minutes. The lady then changed it and said 15. In 15 minutes i went down stairs where the car was not but i waited another 15 minutes before going to the front desk and explaining the story and that I had been waiting in the lobby for the last 15 minutes. The front desk called to check on the status and told me it would be along directly. 15 minutes later, the car finally showed up. On a not very busy Monday morning between 10:00AM and 11:00AM - it took 45 minutes to get my car - glad i wasn't on my way to the airport. Later that evening, we came back to the room and I went to get ready for an evening out. The blow dryer didn't work. So I called the front desk and asked for another. They brought a new one up in 15 minutes. Upon coming back to the room late at night, the heater seemed fine until 2:00 in the morning, it woke me up rattling again. So, now that is two nights in a row that I have not slept better but I think, it could be worse, at least i'm not sleeping on the street and the room is warm. That morning, I went down to the front desk and let the clerk know that the issue had not been resolved. I think they really did try to fix it but the vibrations were just too much after awhile. The front desk clerk offered to move us but as my husband had to get to his conference and i had to go to work, i asked if we could move in the evening. She said no problem. This morning I called down well in advance of needing my car and was happy to see that it only took 15 minutes. Upon coming back that evening, we checked into a new room. We dumped our bags and went out to dinner. Upon coming back after dinner as we sat down on the bed and noticed white dog hair on the blanket. I love dogs but not strangers dogs and not on my bed.... This is the last night and I'm tired of moving so we tossed the cover into the closet. For $300+ a night, I expect better quality. I also would have expected a manager or someone to apologize for two nights in a row of little and interupted sleep.
However, as i stated at the beginning of this review - apparently i had a fluke bad stay. That being said though - I won't be anxious to stay at another Loews anytime in the near future.

1  Thank ThePassionLife
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear ThePassionLife,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with Loews Madison. I’m glad you found the room nicely appointed and enjoyed the amenities, and thank you also for pointing out how much you enjoyed your breakfast at our PostScript restaurant.

I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay which created frustration. The fact that you had issues with your heater and we were unable to fully fix this issue, and to only figure this out at 2am, is disappointing. Your experience certainly does not live up to our standard level of service nor our other guests’ experiences. We pride ourselves in creating wonderful memories for our guests, and clearly we failed to do that for you - for that I am truly sorry.

In regards to the valet service, we apologize for the delay you experienced on the first day. Clearly this is not our normal guest valet experience. I was happy to learn however, that upon check out, we were able to remove the parking fee for the day you experienced the extended wait time.

For both of these unfortunate scenarios we are truly sorry. As you recognized in your post, this was a fluke stay and certainly not a normal Loews Madison experience. We do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust by staying at the Loews Madison Hotel again and seeing the true service our hotel has come to be known for. I would be happy to be your personal point of contact for any future reservation needs.

Director of Rooms
202-862-1600

Reviewed February 10, 2014

The service was phenomenal from the very first minute to the regrettably last minute off
The stay. Loung area and everything seemed like the highlights of an Hgtv show. Also, the front office manger and front desk manager (meaning the list never ends)were beyond words with the genuine hospitality. The entire staff deserves a 10 % bonus across the board!

Room Tip: Over and beyond excellent...all secret guest should return any promised compensation.
1  Thank 1godknows

Dear 1godknows,

Thank you so much for your kind words, and the time you took to review your stay! I’m thrilled you experienced the top notch, friendly, dynamic service we’ve been working very hard to provide. I can’t think of a higher compliment than hearing the service was phenomenal – and how our staff conveyed their genuine interest in your comfort and your Loews and Washington, DC, experience. I will share with them as encouragement to keep up the great work. I’m also happy you enjoyed the overall look of our property, including our lobby lounge area. We’re certainly glad our renovations have created a pleasing environment for our guests! We would be very happy to welcome you back to Loews Madison Hotel anytime you visit DC.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our family stayed for a week in late December 2013-early January, 2014. When we entered our room there was a large tray on a counter top containing several large bottles of liquor. Since we were traveling with our 9 year old daughter we immediately called the front desk to have it removed. (The bottles were too large to fit in the mini bar so we couldn't put them in the mini-bar and lock it. ) We were told the hotel wouldn't remove it unless we paid an extra fee ! When we protested we were told this was "a corporate policy" and that the front desk had to charge us. We consider this policy price- gouging the hotel guests: we never requested the liquor and to charge a guest to remove it is simply outrageous for a hotel of this high caliber. The medical fact is that alcohol - even in a very small amount - is lethal to children. Aside from caring about the health and safety of a child guest, surely the Loew's Corporate office would recognize its enormous liability in the event that a child drank any of the alcohol and died as a result. And what about recovering alcoholics who are guests ? It's insensitive to have bottles of alcohol sitting out, unsecured, in the room. We wonder if it's even legal to have alcohol in a room where there is a minor child .In addition at check in, we were not given or offered the key to the room mini-bar (which contained more alcohol ! ), and when we entered our room we found the mini-bar unlocked ! Also, during our weeks stay my prescription medication (Ambien, which is a controlled substance) was stolen from our room. We immediately reported this to the front desk manager who said he would "research" the theft. We didn't expect the pills to be found and returned to us, nor did we ask for the name of the suspected staff thief. What bothered us was the fact that we never heard a thing back from the front desk after reporting this. We should have at least received a follow up phone call telling us that the theft had been reported to the Head Housekeeping Director (or to whomever) and that appropriate steps would be taken. So a word of warning to guests: use the in-room safe to lock up all your prescription medications because there is, or was, a thief in the housekeeping staff. On the bright side, we were impressed with the friendly, polite front desk staff, the concierge, the restaurant and its courteous staff, and the efficient and polite doormen. Our room was very nice and the furnishings attractive and up to date.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear misswatervalley,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel from your stay a few weeks back. As honest and critical on a few points as you were, we do appreciate your note about the positive experiences you had as well. Including your recognition of friendly, polite staff in all areas of our hotel, and how much you enjoyed our renovated rooms, and the furnishings. That said, I would like to take time to touch on the two issues you had during your late 2013 stay, as our guests’ feedback is critical and satisfaction a top priority.

Regarding alcohol which sat out in the room as part of our mini bar offering, I’m very sorry this was a concerning element of your stay. During the past month, as a result of a long examination over the past year, we have been in the process of removing alcohol which sits out openly in our rooms. This was something we had acknowledged wanting to change, but unfortunately, it didn’t help the situation in your case as the removal was not yet underway. For future guests and the TripAdvisor community’s knowledge, we will continue to offer a mini-bar as a standard for our luxury property, but any alcohol on countertops has been removed since the beginning of January 2014. Misswatervalley, we want to ensure you know we stand by our offer communicated during your guest satisfaction survey – at anytime in the future you visit Loews Madison Hotel, we will be happy to clear the mini bar in advance of your stay at no charge to you.

With the medication situation, I have gone back to our records to ensure this was immediately communicated while you were on property as we take such issues very seriously. Our records indicate that on January 1, the problem was communicated directly to our Director of Housekeeping, who then conducted an internal investigation. We are terribly sorry for the issue, and we apologize for not meeting your expectation in communicating back that we were fully aware of and investigating your report. I am continuing training and conversations with our staff so that communication is a top priority and follow through always happens with our guests.

Thank you again for the positive remarks about Loews Madison, and I hope we will have the chance to regain your trust during future trips to DC. If you would like to discuss anything further, I would welcome a call from you personally.

Director of Rooms