“liquor available to minor children in rooms; prescription med stolen”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #87 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our family stayed for a week in late December 2013-early January, 2014. When we entered our room there was a large tray on a counter top containing several large bottles of liquor. Since we were traveling with our 9 year old daughter we immediately called the front desk to have it removed. (The bottles were too large to fit in the mini bar so we couldn't put them in the mini-bar and lock it. ) We were told the hotel wouldn't remove it unless we paid an extra fee ! When we protested we were told this was "a corporate policy" and that the front desk had to charge us. We consider this policy price- gouging the hotel guests: we never requested the liquor and to charge a guest to remove it is simply outrageous for a hotel of this high caliber. The medical fact is that alcohol - even in a very small amount - is lethal to children. Aside from caring about the health and safety of a child guest, surely the Loew's Corporate office would recognize its enormous liability in the event that a child drank any of the alcohol and died as a result. And what about recovering alcoholics who are guests ? It's insensitive to have bottles of alcohol sitting out, unsecured, in the room. We wonder if it's even legal to have alcohol in a room where there is a minor child .In addition at check in, we were not given or offered the key to the room mini-bar (which contained more alcohol ! ), and when we entered our room we found the mini-bar unlocked ! Also, during our weeks stay my prescription medication (Ambien, which is a controlled substance) was stolen from our room. We immediately reported this to the front desk manager who said he would "research" the theft. We didn't expect the pills to be found and returned to us, nor did we ask for the name of the suspected staff thief. What bothered us was the fact that we never heard a thing back from the front desk after reporting this. We should have at least received a follow up phone call telling us that the theft had been reported to the Head Housekeeping Director (or to whomever) and that appropriate steps would be taken. So a word of warning to guests: use the in-room safe to lock up all your prescription medications because there is, or was, a thief in the housekeeping staff. On the bright side, we were impressed with the friendly, polite front desk staff, the concierge, the restaurant and its courteous staff, and the efficient and polite doormen. Our room was very nice and the furnishings attractive and up to date.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear misswatervalley,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel from your stay a few weeks back. As honest and critical on a few points as you were, we do appreciate your note about the positive experiences you had as well. Including your recognition of friendly, polite staff in all areas of our hotel, and how much you enjoyed our renovated rooms, and the furnishings. That said, I would like to take time to touch on the two issues you had during your late 2013 stay, as our guests’ feedback is critical and satisfaction a top priority.

Regarding alcohol which sat out in the room as part of our mini bar offering, I’m very sorry this was a concerning element of your stay. During the past month, as a result of a long examination over the past year, we have been in the process of removing alcohol which sits out openly in our rooms. This was something we had acknowledged wanting to change, but unfortunately, it didn’t help the situation in your case as the removal was not yet underway. For future guests and the TripAdvisor community’s knowledge, we will continue to offer a mini-bar as a standard for our luxury property, but any alcohol on countertops has been removed since the beginning of January 2014. Misswatervalley, we want to ensure you know we stand by our offer communicated during your guest satisfaction survey – at anytime in the future you visit Loews Madison Hotel, we will be happy to clear the mini bar in advance of your stay at no charge to you.

With the medication situation, I have gone back to our records to ensure this was immediately communicated while you were on property as we take such issues very seriously. Our records indicate that on January 1, the problem was communicated directly to our Director of Housekeeping, who then conducted an internal investigation. We are terribly sorry for the issue, and we apologize for not meeting your expectation in communicating back that we were fully aware of and investigating your report. I am continuing training and conversations with our staff so that communication is a top priority and follow through always happens with our guests.

Thank you again for the positive remarks about Loews Madison, and I hope we will have the chance to regain your trust during future trips to DC. If you would like to discuss anything further, I would welcome a call from you personally.

Director of Rooms
Direct Line: 202-587-2607

Write a ReviewReviews (2,317)

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We spent 5 days at this hotel 27th till 31st Dec 2013. We arrived in DC from Cape Town at 6am, after an 18 hour flight. Hotel advertised book-in at 4pm so we made our way to the hotel to ask if they'd store our luggage till that time. We were greeted by Sylvia - warm, welcoming and friendly, she is surely this hotels best asset !! Sylvia booked us in immediately and even offered us a better room than the one we had booked.
Fantastic, clean, comfortable room, superior linen and facilities, we were extremely impressed.
All the staff were super friendly and helpful, from housekeeping to the restaurant, but particularly Sylvia on reception and Jose, the bellhop.
We only had breakfast at the hotel, great service, excellent food and good price.
Loved the warm spiced apple juice which greeted us each evening on our return from a cold day out.
Great location, easy walk to the nearest Metro Station, 10/15 mins to the White House. Minutes to downtown shopping.
We got big hugs from Sylvia on our departure, we were treated like family - truly fantastic service.
We went on to NYC after DC and I was really sorry that we had booked at a different hotel chain - if I'd known I would most definitely have stuck to the Loews group.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough - you WILL enjoy yourself.
In a nutshell - marvelous hotel supported by fantastic staff

Room Tip: We booked a Luxury Double and Sylvia upgraded us to Executive Terrace. Large, airy, comfortable, sc...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear vanoudts,
Wow, such kind words! Thank you very much for taking the time to give such a wonderfully detailed review. I am so happy we could make your visit from Cape Town to DC such a fantastic trip. We’re incredibly proud of our staff’s dedication to service and personalized approach with guests – so I am excited you had the chance to meet Sylvia. She is a shining star on our team, and we’re lucky to have her. I’m glad everyone, including Jose, made you feel warm, welcome and at home. That’s always our goal, and we want a supremely comfortable environment for you.

Thanks for highlighting the impressive quality of your room and its furnishing, and for mentioning the details like the warm cider offered in the lobby to warm up after a day of sightseeing. I’m so glad you enjoyed our very central location for Metro access, shopping and of course the White House and attractions! It’s such a compliment to know you’ll now look for other Loews when traveling. We highly recommend the Loews Regency NYC and all our other properties!

I appreciate your recommendation, and your choice to stay with Loews Madison. I sincerely hope we can welcome you back again anytime you travel to DC.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

While it lacks some of the amenities of larger hotels the Madison has well appointed comfortable rooms and helpful staff. The rooms have well stocked mini-bars but there is no gift shop or ice and vending machines (ice is available from room service). The PostScript restaurant has a limited menu and the food is very good with reasonable prices but be warned that a small glass of OJ with breakfast is $6 .Another breakfast option is a Caribou Coffee across the street.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Sail2Maine,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m glad we could welcome you on your business trip. I’m so happy you found our staff helpful and enjoyed the comfort and décor of our rooms and our convenient location. I’m also so glad to know you enjoyed the PostScript menu which has undergone some exciting recent updates with several new culinary staff on our team. Further, I’m very excited to let you know we will be opening our second restaurant this Spring 2014- a brand new establishment by Jose Garces, Iron Chef and James Beard Award Winner!

We welcome feedback about our amenities from guests, and we’re pleased now to provide a 24-hour fitness center, business center, complimentary WiFi in every room, as well as Keurig coffee makers and the mini-bars you mention. Thank you very much for choosing Loews Madison, and I hope we have the chance to welcome you again anytime you travel to DC.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

What is unique about the Madison is that the staff, from the bellman, to the front desk and the concierge remember you and welcome you back. It is almost like returning home for the holidays. They sincerely want to ensure that your stay is wonderful and that all your needs are met. They are currently renovating one of the restaurants, but the Bar and grill restaurant is great, light, open and airy and the food fresh and tasty with reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a Madison Suite Room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Annette G,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. What a great compliment to hear our staff makes it feel like you’re coming home again each time you stay! That is exactly the kind of warm, personalized service we strive to provide every day. I’m very happy you know that we truly care, as every guest should have their needs met while with us. I’m glad you enjoy the food and atmosphere in PostScript, and hopefully you can return soon to experience our new restaurant underway now – being opened by Iron Chef and James Beard Award winner Jose Garces. It is scheduled to open in Spring 2014! Thank you so much for choosing Loews Madison, and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here together and he actually came here a second time himself as well for work. First let me say the front Desk staff member, David, is phenomenal and just knows customer service. The times we stayed here the main restaurant was under construction. There is another restaurant in the hotel with outdoor seating. This place literally ignored us for 30 minutes. My husband and I were seated by a very rude hostess. We were seated and I promise you we waited 30 minutes and no one brought us water or asked if we were being served and the restaurant was NOT that busy. It was pretty insulting. We just walked out. The hotel room decor has that old DC feel with beautiful old England style wall paper and gorgeous bathroom but there were ants in our room, our bathroom, and near the window. It was pretty gross. The location is near a lot of different restaurants and coffee chains. It is across the street from a caribou coffee. We walked to a lot of the destinations we wanted as well. Again, the front desk staff and concierge were great but the ants and rude staff from the restaurant really ruined the trip for us. My husband gave them a second chance but we won't be venturing there again. FYI the lobby is chic and they serve fresh chilled fruit drinks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Deena H
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Deena H,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback as it is critical to our success. Needless to say, we are quite disappointed to hear some of your comments. Please accept our sincerest apologies that we were unable to satisfy your needs during your visit, and for the frustrations you endured. I am glad to know you enjoyed some elements of your trip, including our helpful Front Desk staff and concierge. I would like to take a moment to point out some important changes at the property since your stay in August 2013, close to six months ago.

Since your stay, we have undergone some management changes, including a new General Manager and several other new executive team members starting. A new Restaurant GM has also been a team addition. You bring up service concerns that we heard have been issues in the past, and I’m very pleased to let you know we are extremely focused on stepping up our Food and Beverage offerings, and above all, providing top notch service to every guest. I’m very sorry you did not experience this while with us. In regards to your ant issue, I am quite surprised to hear this as it is not feedback I’ve experienced in my six months with the Loews Madison Hotel team. That said, I regret the unpleasant experience you mentioned and am comfortable to assure you this is not a good indication of the service or comfortable environment we have been striving to create. Since I joined the team as Director of Rooms, we have been extremely focused on our rooms’ quality and overall guest satisfaction. I do hope you will consider visiting the Loews Madison Hotel the next time your travels bring you to Washington DC and giving us the opportunity to show you the true Loews Experience.

I am hopeful you will see the personal TripAdvisor message our team sent, and we’ll have the chance to connect. We would appreciate the opportunity to regain your trust in Loews Madison Hotel.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at the Loews Madison arriving on a rainy day. I was totally impressed by the staff. When I arrived the doorman took the umbrella and helped us with the luggage. The service was excellent throughout and the room was spotless. Saad was very helpful and went out of his way to make our stay a memorable one. I will definitely stay here again when I am next in DC and I highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim D
GMLoews, Social Media Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Tim D,
Yes, please do come back!! Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are thrilled to know you experienced excellent service, from your rainy entry to getting tips to enjoy your trip from our front desk and concierge team. It’s always our goal for guests to leave with great memories, and it sounds like this happened for you! Please do come see us again. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and for your recommendation for others to stay with us while in Washington, DC.

All the best,
Kallie Cornett

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed at Loews for second time and LOVE this hotel. Incredibly helpful staff. Absolutley beautiful atmosphere and decoration. The location is PERFECT
I would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay in Washington DC

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear LIMOM3,
Thanks very much for your time to review your stay! You loving our hotel as a reflection of our staff’s service, our fantastic location, and our décor and atmosphere, is a superb compliment. I’m delighted you enjoyed so many features of our property and love the hotel! Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and for recommending us to others. We hope to welcome you back anytime your travels bring you to DC.