“Gorgeous decor with a few ants”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #84 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here together and he actually came here a second time himself as well for work. First let me say the front Desk staff member, David, is phenomenal and just knows customer service. The times we stayed here the main restaurant was under construction. There is another restaurant in the hotel with outdoor seating. This place literally ignored us for 30 minutes. My husband and I were seated by a very rude hostess. We were seated and I promise you we waited 30 minutes and no one brought us water or asked if we were being served and the restaurant was NOT that busy. It was pretty insulting. We just walked out. The hotel room decor has that old DC feel with beautiful old England style wall paper and gorgeous bathroom but there were ants in our room, our bathroom, and near the window. It was pretty gross. The location is near a lot of different restaurants and coffee chains. It is across the street from a caribou coffee. We walked to a lot of the destinations we wanted as well. Again, the front desk staff and concierge were great but the ants and rude staff from the restaurant really ruined the trip for us. My husband gave them a second chance but we won't be venturing there again. FYI the lobby is chic and they serve fresh chilled fruit drinks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Deena H
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Deena H,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback as it is critical to our success. Needless to say, we are quite disappointed to hear some of your comments. Please accept our sincerest apologies that we were unable to satisfy your needs during your visit, and for the frustrations you endured. I am glad to know you enjoyed some elements of your trip, including our helpful Front Desk staff and concierge. I would like to take a moment to point out some important changes at the property since your stay in August 2013, close to six months ago.

Since your stay, we have undergone some management changes, including a new General Manager and several other new executive team members starting. A new Restaurant GM has also been a team addition. You bring up service concerns that we heard have been issues in the past, and I’m very pleased to let you know we are extremely focused on stepping up our Food and Beverage offerings, and above all, providing top notch service to every guest. I’m very sorry you did not experience this while with us. In regards to your ant issue, I am quite surprised to hear this as it is not feedback I’ve experienced in my six months with the Loews Madison Hotel team. That said, I regret the unpleasant experience you mentioned and am comfortable to assure you this is not a good indication of the service or comfortable environment we have been striving to create. Since I joined the team as Director of Rooms, we have been extremely focused on our rooms’ quality and overall guest satisfaction. I do hope you will consider visiting the Loews Madison Hotel the next time your travels bring you to Washington DC and giving us the opportunity to show you the true Loews Experience.

I am hopeful you will see the personal TripAdvisor message our team sent, and we’ll have the chance to connect. We would appreciate the opportunity to regain your trust in Loews Madison Hotel.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at the Loews Madison arriving on a rainy day. I was totally impressed by the staff. When I arrived the doorman took the umbrella and helped us with the luggage. The service was excellent throughout and the room was spotless. Saad was very helpful and went out of his way to make our stay a memorable one. I will definitely stay here again when I am next in DC and I highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim D
GMLoews, Social Media Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Tim D,
Yes, please do come back!! Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are thrilled to know you experienced excellent service, from your rainy entry to getting tips to enjoy your trip from our front desk and concierge team. It’s always our goal for guests to leave with great memories, and it sounds like this happened for you! Please do come see us again. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and for your recommendation for others to stay with us while in Washington, DC.

All the best,
Kallie Cornett

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed at Loews for second time and LOVE this hotel. Incredibly helpful staff. Absolutley beautiful atmosphere and decoration. The location is PERFECT
I would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay in Washington DC

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear LIMOM3,
Thanks very much for your time to review your stay! You loving our hotel as a reflection of our staff’s service, our fantastic location, and our décor and atmosphere, is a superb compliment. I’m delighted you enjoyed so many features of our property and love the hotel! Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and for recommending us to others. We hope to welcome you back anytime your travels bring you to DC.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I booked a deluxe room at Loews Madison for a 2 night stay in Washington (visiting from London for a wedding) and can honestly say this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in - and I travel ALOT for leisure and business purposes. In fact, I've never even left a review on TripAdvisor before but felt compelled to by my experience at this hotel.

I had requested a room close to one of the suites where a friend was staying and was given a room on the same floor which was perfect. The room itself was great value for money in terms of space and facilities and the hotel overall was beautiful and clean. The location was also ideal, a short taxi or short-ish walk to the Whitehouse, Lincoln Memorial, Verizon Centre and other places we visited over the couple of days in town.

The staff, however, is what sets this hotel apart! Every member of staff from cleaners through to waiters and management were the friendliest, loveliest and most helpful people I've ever experienced at a hotel, without being overbearing. They couldn't do enough to make sure our stay was a great one and it really made a difference.

Thank you so much for a great weekend and if you are considering this hotel, book!!! I have even suggested my parents book a trip to Washington just to stay here.

Room Tip: Don't worry about which room you get, mine was one of the most basic and it was absolutely stunn...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah C
GMLoews, Social Media Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear Sarah C,
Wow, thank you so much for the incredibly kind words about the Loews Madison Hotel!! We are so thrilled by how much you enjoyed your stay, and that we could help make a great weekend while you were in town for your friend’s wedding. It is the best compliment to know our staff’s service and overall genuine care for the quality of your stay made a lasting impression – so much so that this is your first TripAdvisor review! I’m so happy you enjoyed your room and our very central location for exploring all of DC’s treasures. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us this feedback. It would be our pleasure to welcome you – and your parents – to the Loews Madison Hotel anytime you travel to DC!

Kallie Cornett

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at the Loews Madison for a business meeting last week, and wanted to rave about the staff!
I had a great stay, but what happened after my stay was even more telling.
I forgot my dobb kit that holds all of my shampoos, soaps and contact lens stuff hanging on the back of the bathroom door.
I called the night I got home as I unpacked and realized that I left it, and spoke to Naveen, the evening manager. He was incredibly professional and helpful and let me know he would follow up with the housekeeping manager the next morning.
As promised, the next morning Rasheeda (I may be off on the spelling) called to tell me she found it and would send it out the next day.
Naveen called later that afternoon to confirm this as well.
I cannot thank Naveen and Rasheeda for their help and professionalism...it is very much appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Lauren T.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Lauren T,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us this great feedback. I’m so happy our team members were able to help you so quickly and with such professionalism. There’s really no higher compliment than to know the service we provided you, driven by our staff’s genuine care for our guests, made a lasting impression. I will pass on your very kind words to both the employees who helped you, and thank you for remembering them! I’m happy you had a great stay, and please know how much we appreciate you choosing the Loews Madison in DC. I hope we have the chance to welcome you again soon, for business or for pleasure.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We have been staying at this hotel for most of the last decade on quarterly trips to DC for business meetings. We have watched some changes over the years, and it keeps improving. The rooms have improved with regard to style updates and comfort. One of the best aspects though is the location. From here, walking to the White House and Mall/Smithsonian area is well within reach at 10-15 minutes. Also, heading in the opposite direction, the restaurants, shopping and beautiful historic homes of Logan Circle neighborhood are close. The metro is a couple of blocks away, which is convenient. The only downer is that we have never had a room with a decent view of anything. We always seem to end up looking to the rear, which is like an alley or dumpster/service area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear KelekeWahine,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It’s an honor to hear we’ve been a destination for you for nearly 10 years during your business travels to D.C. – thank you for choosing Loews Madison. We have worked diligently to improve our property, as Loews strives to provide a supremely comfortable and beautiful setting, so thank you for noticing! I also appreciate you noting our central location, convenient for walking to many attractions like the White House, as well as 14th Street’s culinary offerings, Metro lines and more. I’m happy you enjoy so many aspects of our property and hope we can communicate before your next stay to discuss your room preference. We do have interior and exterior facing rooms, and we recommend anyone looking for a street view book an exterior facing room. I will reach out to you directly to get details for your next stay.

We’d love the opportunity to ensure you have many fantastic stays in the future, and we so appreciate your loyalty to Loews Madison. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Rooms were clean and upscale but not very large for $300+ a night. The hotel parking garage charges $50 a night which I feel is a bit steep considering we were paying guests at the hotel. The restaurant food was very good but the service was slow, not customer oriented and the waiter had to be asked for simple things like water and bread with the meal. Considering they tout this as a 4-5 star hotel, I was shocked to find that they couldn't even mail a small priority mail package (8"x5"x2") for me. I was told I could walk to the post office several blocks away. The hotel is large, clean, and nice looking but I have had better experiences and service at hotels charging less than 1/3 the price.

Room Tip: The rooms are nice if you don't mind paying twice what they are worth.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Victor K,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and for responding promptly to our earlier outreach to help ensure we understand the details of your experiences and address any concerns. While it’s nice to hear you found the hotel clean and spacious, I am disappointed to learn of the inconveniences you experienced. You are right to feel like we should have assisted you with shipping your package as part of our personalized guest service. I am disappointed to hear of your feedback but will certainly use it for training going forward. Also, I have followed up with our Restaurant General Manager to ensure we make immediate improvements in any service gaps. Thank you again, as this feedback is critical to helping us improve our establishment. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back and regain your confidence in Loews Madison.