“Comfortable Luxury” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“Comfortable Luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Comfortable luxury is how I would describe my stay. Friendly staff, excellent service without being too stuffy. Rooms were beautifully decorated and the bathrooms small, yet spacious. Housekeeping was fantastic and the meals I ate (Room Service and Post Script) were delicious! Looking forward to staying here again on my next trip to DC!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheRoad2Nowhere
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear TheRoad2Nowhere,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! I’m so happy you enjoyed it, and experienced the comfort and luxury we work to provide for every guest’s stay. It is wonderful hearing you found our staff friendly and the service top notch. They are a dedicated team, and we’re certainly proud to hear your recognition of them! I’m also glad the food and décor were such enjoyable parts of your stay. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we can’t wait to welcome you back when you’re in DC!

Justin Adam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Great choice for business or pleasure. Super friendly staff. They let me use the gym to freshen before travel as I had no room any more. Stylish and delicious a la carte breakfast. Impeccable in all ways.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear PekkaBrussels,

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay. I’m so happy you enjoyed our hotel all around, and found us to be impeccable. Thank you for commenting on our friendly staff – they’ll be excited to know they are recognized. Our staff at PostScript restaurant will also enjoy your remarks! Thanks again for sharing, and for choosing Loews Madison Hotel. We hope to welcome you back again.

Peachtree City, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Service with a smile, conceirge with time to help plan a delightful day for the kids, a restaurant that was full of kid friendly wait staff and menu for every meal, and pleasant stylish rooms with wonderfully comfy beds. We were there for only one night and had the room reserved for us by the Loew's Annapolis where we were staying for several days which was also a wonderful experience. The reservation center for Loew's hotel's is wonderful. We had a wonderful sales rep named Nicholas who straightened out the reservations I had made directly with the hotel in Annapolis. From that point on things were as smooth as silk and fun! The Loew's Annapolis was wonderfully convenient to our activities, service was great, breakfast was delicious, even the kids loved it especially the buffets. The price of our rooms varied due to size and dates but very reasonable. Loew's will be my first choice next trip.

Room Tip: ask for what you want or need
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMLoews, Social Media Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Sally G,
What a happy experience to hear about! Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stays with Loews, and we are thrilled you enjoyed your experience so much. Thank you for recognizing our team members and our commitment to friendly, superior service. I’m very glad you enjoyed the décor and comfort of our rooms, as well as the menu at PostScript restaurant. Our concierge are definitely excited to help and very knowledgeable about the city! It’s also wonderful to hear you enjoyed our sister property, the Loews Annapolis Hotel in Maryland. Nicholas is wonderful member of the Annapolis team, and I’ll be glad to share your feedback with our Loews colleagues there. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back anytime you’re in DC. Be sure to check out our YouFirst program too, for any future Loews Hotels stays!

All the best,
Kallie Cornett
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed at this hotel after booking through hotwire. Paid $210 (rack rate was about $450). Happy with the hotel for the price paid.

It was newly renovated, stylish and very well thought through.

Service was OK - nothing spectacular. We spent most of our days away from the hotel though so this did not impact.

It is walking distance to the attractions - but it is quite a bit of a walk. About 10-15 minutes to the white house and another 15 mins from there to anywhere else really. At least we got fit with all the walking!

There isn't much ambiance around the hotel or nice pockets to have dinner - just other hotels. Recommend walking up fourteenth street - there's plenty of nice restaurants there mostly frequented by locals.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear MCM101,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I’m glad you were happy with your experience, and enjoyed our recent renovations! It’s great that you found the thriving culinary scene around the 14th Street area, just a few blocks from our location at 15th Street NW and M Street – there are, indeed, many exciting and plentiful dining options. I’m sorry you found our service to be just OK as we strive to surpass all of our guests’ service expectations every day. I do appreciate your comments as we take guests’ opinions into consideration with all we do and yours will certainly help us improve for the future. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and I hope we can welcome you back again the next time your travels bring you to DC.

Fort Lee NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Not quite a year ago, we stayed at the Madison Hotel just before it was acquired by the Loews chain. We had loved our stay and reviewed it here. Two weeks ago, we returned for a long (four-night) weekend. Once again, this hotel merits our rave review.
I’ll boil down our reasons to four things: Service, ambiance, value and location.
Every member of the staff that we encountered was friendly and helpful. They looked you in the eye and spoke in a cheerful voice. They asked if there was anything else they could do for you. From the doormen to the front desk to the service staff on the floor (which coffee did we like and did we want additional packets?) The concierge was especially solicitous with good restaurant recommendations and she was able to make reservations that we would not have gotten. When we checked in (after midnight) just after unpacking, I sat on my side of the bed and it sank so far it almost folded!! The other side of the bed was solid but my side was obviously broken. We called downstairs and the bellman was right back up with another room key. Unfortunately, the alternate room was opposite the elevator which I never take. The bellman expressed no impatience. He just called down to get us yet another room and, when it turned out there were no other rooms of the same kind available, we were given a corner room, much larger and higher priced but they charged the lower room rate we had booked. We were not made to feel we had imposed. Indeed, the opposite. The next morning we related our story to the concierge not by way of complaint but to relate how well the issue had been handled. When we returned to our room that afternoon, we found a bottled of chilled champagne and chocolate strawberries with a lovely apologetic note from the concierge. In my memory, no other hotel ever has made us feel actually welcomed and treated as individuals.
This hotel is not one of the larger hotels. The lobby is not an expansive, glitzy, soaring atrium. It is refreshingly warm and somewhat European in feeling with softer lighting that suggests a living room rather than a train station. There is a piano bar at one end and tables for a meal. The rooms are decorated in federal style wallpaper and the furnishings are solid. The bathrooms, however, were fully modern.
There is no point to quote my exact room rate because, as we know, room rates vary for the same room based on the particular date and how far in advance one books the room. When we decided to spend a long weekend in Washington, I went to online sites that compare hotels and promise low rates. But my experience again and again is that one does better by calling the hotel directly and asking if there are promotions. Sure enough, the Madison reservations office gave the same low rate offered online but for a better room. I would have been pleased with the rate that we paid if we had been booking a hotel on the outskirts of the city through one of the larger national chains so I was delighted to get that kind of rate for a better room in a prime downtown hotel. It may be a small point but, basic WiFi was free (adequate for email and web surfing but there is a charge for a higher level of WiFi that allows for streaming movies). On the other hand, valet parking was $50 per day but unlimited in and out access to your car.
Although not close to a Metro station, the Madison is in the center of downtown (a few blocks north of the White House) and walking distance to the Penn Quarter neighborhood where many finer restaurants are located. There is a 24 hour CVS a block from the hotel. The National Geographic Museum is also just a block away.
Often, the hotel is the place to leave your bags and return to at the end of the day. Staying at the Madison was PART OF the Washington DC experience. It is an elegant yet comfortable home for the duration of the trip.
Did I mention that I enthusiastically recommend this well-run property?

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to get a better rate than the online reservation sites. Corner room are roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMLoews, General Manager at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Barry W,

Wow, we are so excited and appreciative of your wonderful review! More than anything, it’s a joy to know you had a great time in Washington, D.C. and that Loews Madison Hotel was more than just a place to sleep – it was part of your experience. We’re on a mission to provide a supremely comfortable, unique and authentic experience for all our guests, and I am thrilled and humbled you recognize this. It’s true that we want every guest to be treated as an individual and receive personalized service while staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to detail the different positive aspects of our service, ambiance, value and location! Our staff works hard to offer the best service at every turn, so I will share with great pleasure your kind words about all of them, and particularly our concierge, doormen and bellmen. I am sorry you encountered an inconvenience with your room, but am very happy the staff resolved so quickly.

I’m so glad you enjoyed many aspects of our establishment, from the complimentary WiFi to our central location. For future stays, we wanted to let you know we are within three blocks of various Metro lines!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give this detailed feedback, and for choosing Loews Madison Hotel. We would absolutely be delighted to welcome you back for future stays, and hope that will be sooner than later!

Cheraz Ecker
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Modern decor, cool vibe, nice rooms, great beds and linens. Good service, good food...not great. Would recommend. Trip advisor wants me to ramble to fill their 200 word requirement for reviews. Dumb, there is nothing more to say. The Madison is great. I probably wouldn't stay there and pay full price. Watch for it to go on sale by using the app Hotels Tonight. Seriously? 200 words? I captured it in one short and sweet paragraph and now all this fluff. Brevity Trip Advisor . . . Brevity.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GMLoews, Director of Rooms at Loews Madison Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear scubaswenson,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay with us for the TripAdvisor community. I’m happy you would recommend us and thought Loews Madison Hotel was great and hip! We appreciate all your comments as guest feedback is important to us evolving our establishment and providing the best experience possible. Thank you for choosing Loews Madison Hotel in DC.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I were having a little staycation in DC for our anniversary. We decided to stay at the Madison Hotel, because it was located right in the center of the city and we would be able to get many places quickly without having to pay a lot for a cab. When pulled up a gentlemen came out to the car to greet us and take our luggage. We walked to the front door and there was another gentleman that had the door already open for us. When we got to the front desk Sod, the front desk agent was very polite, quickly checked us in, and wished us a happy anniversary. Soon as we turned around the concierge, Innocent, greeted us and also wished us a happy anniversary. He walked us to the elevator and told us if there is anything that we need to call him immediately. We then went up to our room and there was a bottle of champagne, cookies, and a card wishing us a happy anniversary. Nice touch! The room was huge, the TV was on a swivel so you could see it from any angle, and we had a nice view of the Washington Monument from the balcony. On our way out to dinner, I heard a great Jazz band playing in the restaurant. They sounded very classy and smooth. I wish we could have stayed longer, but had to go to dinner. I definitely recommend staying at the The Loews Madison hotel .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LarryJLockhart
Dear LarryJLockhart,
Happy anniversary, and thank you for choosing Loews Madison for your special occasion! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share feedback about your staycation with us. I’m very happy you enjoyed your room and balcony with a view, and I’m delighted you experienced our team members providing great service at every turn. They work hard every day to ensure a welcoming, comfortable environment and personal experience for all our guests, and I appreciate you recognizing this. I’ll be sure to pass along your recognition of our bellman, front desk staff, and Innocent with concierge service – they are gems. Again, thank you for choosing Loews Madison, and I’m glad we could deliver a great stay for you and your wife. Since you’re local, perhaps you can come back to enjoy our jazz series which currently has performances each Friday and Saturday evening, 8-11 pm at PostScript. We would love to welcome you back for future stays.