“Excellent Choice”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #85 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I've stayed at this property three times and each stay has been better than the last with all being very good experiences. My stays have been connected to meetings at the hotel and have included both restaurant and in-room dining, all of which were excellent experiences. The rooms I've experienced would be tight for a couple or family, but are not out of line with other urban hotels and larger rooms may be available. Room appointments and decor are fresh, clean and tasteful. Like many urban hotels my "views" have been over alleys and into the back windows of adjacent office buildings, so! if a street view is important, make a specific request The dining areas are exceptionally pleasant with excellent food quality and service. Room rate valuee was exceptional for a couple of the visits because of negotiated meeting rates. Meeting facilities are suitable and usable. Like all hotels, it is good to look at the particular room being offered to ensure it meets your expectations and makes possible room configurations you prefer.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank WARSAWRUN

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in an excellent location. You are just several blocks north of the White House and the Mall area, and only 3 blocks from metro stations for 3 lines. We figured out the metro system and took it everywhere in Washington, but still found ourselves doing a lot of walking . The hotel was a great respite location. We visited during Easter week and the city and the hotel were busy, but not so crowded that we felt uncomfortable. Our room was on the 6th floor and it was quiet, comfortable, and clean. We used our computer and the hotel's wifi every evening with no problems. The hotel also recommended several family friendly restaurants that were close by and we tried a couple of them out, with excellent results. My grandsons loved their visit to our nations capital. The staff was courteous and friendly. I would not hesitate to stay here in the future or to recommend this hotel.

1  Thank David1975AA
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Visited during Easter weekend for 4 nights. The Madison is located just blocks away from the national mall where you can visit all of the museums and memorials. Tip: walk to the McPherson Square station 2 blocks down 15th street and take the blue/orange line to the Smithsonian station to end up in the middle of everything. We did get a decent deal on Orbitz coming out to about $120-$130 per night. Based off of that price I thought the hotel was fantastic. I've read some reviews stating prices above $250/night and though I think that's overdoing it, the room was still fantastic as well as the service. Still, try to hunt for a decent price range. The bed was just so comfortable and so was the over-sized leather chair/ottoman. The bathroom was huge! The whole room had a very classy vibe to it, I loved it. The view wasn't the greatest, but it really didn't bother me much (I would imagine you need a very tall building to get any sort of decent "view" in DC). I did not order room service so I cannot rate them on that. However, the service at the front desk and the restaurant/bar was great (the dry-aged ribeye was amazing). The gym wasn't bad, kind of limited on free weights but that's a minor complaint. The sauna wasn't anything to write home about either, but both gym/sauna were very very clean so that's a plus. I totally recommend this hotel for a trip to Washington D.C. Thank you Loews Madison for a wonderful and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor and have 0 complaints. Not sure if any other area is more recommended.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMadison, Hotel Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our beds were recently upgraded with Englander Velvet Touch Ultimate Super Plush mattresses and we're very happy that you found them comfortable! Washington D.C. has a surplus of museums and historic sites and we're glad you were able to take advantage of them. We hope to welcome you back to Loews Madison Hotel soon!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Was recommended this hotel by our usually on the job travel agent and was very dubious when arrived having read all the previous reviews on Trip advisor. Travelled with family from SanFrancisco, arrived latest night following horrid flight experience with United - exceptional evening staff greeted us, checked in and ensured we had everything required including additional rollaway bed although unfortunately no linked rooms. Room service finished at 11 pm however staff provided Pizza takeaway menu that arrived within 40 minutes. Pizzas were very tasty and great Caesar Salad. Offered different room next day but kids happy in current room. Great location - walked everywhere. Daytime staff not overly helpful. Nice restaurant with good bar and menu. Meal was excellent and service staff made it an absolute pleasure. Business centre is well equipped and functional. Would stay here again but without the kids although the kids have been very well accommodated. Note that the cab fare from the airport was US$75 without tip.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, Sam. We're very glad you had the chance to dine with us. We apologize for being unable to offer linked guest rooms during your stay, but happy that your children enjoyed the room. Providing outstanding customer service is our highest priority and we appreciate hearing about your experiences with our staff. We thank you for choosing Loews Madison Hotel and hope to see you and your family again soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights over Easter weekend, which also hit during the Cherry Blossom festival, so the hotel was packed. Our check-in was quick and we had arrived early in the day (1:00) so the room was not ready, but they called us on our cell phone within an hour to let us know that it was. Our double queen room facing the interior of the hotel (nothing to see here) was quiet, clean and big enough for 2 adults + 1 kid, but not much more. The bath was pretty and had a good shower. Plenty of towels. Good in-room coffee/tea selection with take-away cups. Very friendly staff in general.

Easy walk to White House (10 minutes), mall (20 minutes), lots of cabs available or walk to metro. We didn't eat at the hotel, instead went around the corner for sushi at Zentan (Donovan House hotel) or to one of the many cafes nearby. Would stay again, especially for the rate I got with Tingo.

1  Thank waterwings13
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My parents came to DC to visit me over Easter weekend. They paid $270+tax per night. It wasn't worth more than ~$70 (if that). Here are the important issues (there were many):

1. Filthy room full of stains all over the furniture (they eventually moved us)
2. No hot water for a whole 5 hours one morning (they were fixing equipment)
3. Lots of animals (dog barking next door from 6am woke my parents up every day)
4. All the other residents clearly only come to this hotel because of a deal on priceline or hotwire (presumably <$100.... lots of youngish 20' or so years old).
5. Poor room service (1 hour 20 minutes to deliver a drink to the room).
6. Management unfriendly and poorly responsive to feedback.

Don't be tricked into the 'Loews' brand. If you get the chance to stay for <$75, it might be worth it (even then, I would probably try and stay elsewhere for the money).

2  Thank LonTrav2013
GMMadison, Hotel Manager at The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

We would like to express our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. We try to provide the best possible combination of comfort, quality and value and regret to hear that you did not experience the high service standards we strive to uphold. We are particularly sorry to hear about the unacceptable condition of your guest room and lack of attentiveness from our staff. I would like to assure you that this is not representative of our dedication to service excellence. I will be reaching out to you directly so we can work to rectify these issues and regain your trust in Loews Madison Hotel.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I just got back from a 4 night stay at the Madison with my boyfriend and parents. You cant beat the location of this hotel as it is within walking distance of the metro and a lot of restaurants. Its a bit of a walk to the mall (20 mins or so) but you can always take a cab for less than $10 to most attractions if you arent up for the walk. The hotel was very busy as it was Easter weekend but the staff did their best to keep up. Rooms were clean and the service was pretty quick. We did have a couple issues with our room (broken Ipod dock and bed frame) but they were quickly resolved. One thing I will say on the negative side is that my boyfriend and I noticed that my parents got a bit better service than us in general. I think this is because they are older and probably looked like they were going to spend more money. Anyway, I would recommend this hotel to friends and would stay here during my next visit to DC.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words! We are thrilled that you found our location convenient and were able to take advantage of the many attractions Washington D.C. has to offer. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your ipod dock and bed frame, but are glad that they were quickly resolved. While our goal is certainly to provide each guest with equal levels of attentiveness, we appreciate your feedback regarding your impression of our service. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, and look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Madison Hotel soon!