“Wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed at the Jefferson because my regular hotel (Hay-Adams) is closed for renovations. I arrived after 10 pm and was greeted graciously and immediately shown to a lovely room. Room service came much faster than the 30 minutes I was told it would take. Bed was luxurious and very comfortable. Hotel was extremely quiet--my room was on 16th street and I heard nothing. My sole complaint is that the water pressure was lacking in the shower. Bathroom was otherwise very nice. There was even a tv imbedded in the mirror. Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank NYCTraveler21592

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

The Jefferson is one of our favorite hotels in the world. We have been going there for seventeen years. The service is beyond great. It is so elegant and graceful. We
do not have to walk out of the door. The bar is unreal and dinning at Plume is beyond.
We love you Jefferson, see you next year. !!!!
Lisa and Jeff Bruno, Akron, Ohio

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

I have stayed at this so called luxury hotel on and off this year. After a series of observations I decided to gather my thoughts. The Jefferson is a fine example of money well spent on a product, however a service level which has zero soul. I witnessed the service standards decline dramatically, especially most recently.

Being a lawyer I am well aware there are two sides to a story. So here are the pro's: The hotel itself is by far without any competition in DC. Its a type of product this city needed. The rooms are beautiful, restaurant is elegant, and overall every aspect of Jefferson's renovation should be featured as a role model to the industry.

Now the UGLY: The hotel has successfully received accolades from numerous publications, however I am not aware of an official diamond or star grading. With the service standards and motel level staffing levels I highly doubt anyone can call this luxury. My most recent stay (end of August/Labor Day weekend) resulted in the decision to stop going. On the weekend there was absolutely no management around. The front desk was staffed by kids in "training" (a badge similar to a fast food joint that makes it clear they are in training) The concierge desk was always unstaffed. AND... the fine dining room was closed all week. To make matters worse - when ever I called for a late night snack via room service, the man at the desk will say "we actually don't really offer 24 hours of room service". I don't think there is a need to say more.

I gave this property an overall 3. A fair value given a 5 for its product, and 1 for service. However, I will not recommend. At this point I plan on being back to another luxury/historic/independent hotel which re-opens again this Fall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RSH_TheRainmaker
JeffersonMarketing, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent review of The Jefferson. We greatly appreciate your open and honest feedback.

We strive to provide to highest levels of customer service to all our guests, and in your case, we have clearly failed. For this, you have my deepest, personal apologies.

I would be most grateful to have the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your recent experiences.

Please feel free to contact me at 202.448.2300 at any time.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
Franck Arnold
Managing Director
The Jefferson, Washington, DC
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at The Jefferson the weekend of August 28th. From the moment we walked into the hotel we were greeted by the very professional and friendly staff. The rooms were lovely and immaculate. The Jefferson is head and shoulders above the chain hotels, and the location is great. We will definitely stay at The Jefferson again on our next trip to DC.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

I could go on and on about the ultra-superb the customer service , how quiet the room or even the beauty of the the hotel, but I choose to go on and on about that bed. Between the large, cloud-like pillows, the smooth feel of the Porthault sheets and the luxuriousness of the soft and supportive mattress, let me just say I was in heaven!

I was leading business meetings and it was a real treasure to have the Jefferson to come home to each evening to recharge my proverbial batteries. I would definitely stay here again and I recommend the Jefferson!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

The new lobby is simply stunning. We loved the Jefferson before, but the recent redesign and renovation bowled us over. Our room was beautiful, with a few over-the-top touches like an in-mirror TV for the bathroom and a double-vaulted ceiling. The sheets and towels were luxurious.

The staff was extremely helpful. As we left the hotel for the first time, they asked if we needed a map. On a raining morning, they asked if we needed umbrellas. Returning from a late night out, they offered us bottled water (not so earth-friendly, but a nice gesture).

The hotel is located in a great spot, right across the street from the National Geographic and not far from other tourist sites, but for us, having lived in DC for years, we loved being close to Dupont Circle, U Street and Adams Morgan. We could easily walk to Georgetown, as well.

The bar has outdoor seating overlooking 16th Street and a solid drink menu. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and found it all to be delicious -- malted pancakes, OMG!

Of course, I'd highly recommend The Jefferson for leisure or business.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We could not dream of a better hotel for our first stay in Washington! From the welcoming in our mother tongue (French) to the room service, through the kindness of all the staff members, our experience was unforgettable.
We can assure you it is good value for money. We enjoyed so much the bathroom, with the TV screen in the mirror and the huge shower, the queen size and the sleep quality of the beds.
The atmosphere of the hotel was so pleasant and we really appreciated the numerous and well thought advice given by the reception.
We will not hesitate to come back at the Jefferson Hotel to enjoy another great stay in Washington!
Xavier, Vincent & Thomas.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends