“Comfortable but unfriendly”

The Jefferson, Washington DC
Ranked #3 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Small room for the price. Very limited amenities - for $600 per night would have expected more than conditioner and shampoo! No tea or coffee making facilities in the room which was very disappointing! Had a cup of tea in the Quill Room before leaving and was told in no uncertain terms that I had to leave the door open because if I wanted the door closed they would have to charge me - how bizarre is that! Not a bad hotel overall, but didn't feel particularly welcome and staff weren't particularly friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear RSD_Surrey_UK,

Dear Mr. Deakin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not having met your expectations in the quality of our product and service. I was disappointed to hear that you were not made to feel welcome by our staff and that you did not feel like they were friendly. I regret the frustration and disappointment this has caused you, but did want to assure you that I am actively addressing the multiple concerns that you expressed.

If any future travels bring you to our city, please do not hesitate to contact me directly; it would be my pleasure to assist you personally.

There are newer reviews for The Jefferson, Washington DC

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I traveled with my 10 year old son during Spring break 2013 and we stayed at the Jefferson.
It was a wonderful experience. The hotel is top notch, but feels very warm and cozy, almost as if you are staying with family. The rooms were all well appointed, and the staff friendly and efficient.
It was very easy to get around from the Jefferson as our base. Cabs were easy in that part of town, as well as a few subway lines within walking. Neighborhood felt very safe at night.
We requested a room with a tub, and my son was thrilled to take his nightly baths, as it was a big tub with complimentary bath salts!
We were able to enjoy appetizers at the piano bar one evening, which he thought was great fun and loved his gourmet grilled cheese. Other days we started out our morning with room service, which was always on time, and always HOT. We look forward to returning. My son gives it SIX stars.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank VickiLosAngeles
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear VickiLosAngeles,

Six stars! Please thank your son for the great rating! I’m pleased to hear that you & your son had a memorable experience at The Jefferson and we look forward to welcoming you both back the next time you are in Washington, DC.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

From the doorman’s first friendly greeting, our recent experience at The Jefferson was one of total charm and superior service. We were surprised with an upgraded suite and received a cheerful smile from every employee we encountered. Our weekend is one that we will always cherish and remember. A dinner held in the Plume Wine Cellar was incomparable! We have stayed in many grand hotels all over the globe, but none has had the utmost attention to detail that we experienced with The Jefferson. In our opinion it is one of the finest hotels in the world! Our many thanks go out to the wonderfull staff.

Room Tip: There was no swimming pool and we did not use the hotel's spa services. The hotel is a beautiful...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights for vacation in DC. The service and attention to detail was fabulous. Felt well cared for, but not infringed upon. We asked for a king with a view (room 604). Could see the Washington monument from the shower! We didn't care about a tub, but if you do this room does not have one. As stated in other reviews the rooms (premier king) are SMALL. At first I was a little worried, but I managed to put everything away and tuck the suitcases in the corner (I do NOT travel lightly....). We called for more towels one evening and they said "certainly, right away"....and it really was RIGHT AWAY! The piano bar downstairs was so nice to come home to each evening. Rachel was awesome with lots of recommendations for restaurants (we loved Matchbox on 14th). Nice little outside patio in Quill (the bar) as well. One night we came home and realized we had left our 'do not disturb' light on all day, so the room had not been cleaned. We called and they offered 'turn down service'. We went down to Quill and when we came "home"....they had totally cleaned the room. Easy walking distance to lots of sights and public transportation. Chris the concierge was SOOO helpful. Worth every penny staying here. After a full day and/or night of sightseeing it was so wonderful to return to such pampering-but not over the top. Discreet, polite, but not stuffy. We were VERY California casual. Can't say enough great things about this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 604 was a great location. One of the smaller rooms however, if that makes a difference to you...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane T
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I went for a nights rest away from the kids. We booked the restaurant which was very nice. We chose from the al a carte menu which had some nice flavors. We enjoy michelin stars but they are few and far between in Washington if any. The service was very friendly but each course was not explained. The room was nicely decorated but quite small for a deluxe room. We also had the standard welcome card from the manager but with the wrong name on it (we are not ambassador's). All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clair H
JeffersonDC, Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Clair H,

Thank you for taking time to post about your recent getaway to Washington, DC. I was happy to hear that you found the service in the restaurant to be friendly, but was disappointed to read that you did not find them to be as attentive as you had expected; this is a matter that I will bring to our restaurant manager’s attention to ensure that this does not happen again. I’d also like to apologize for the incorrect name on your welcome card; I will be following up with my staff to find out where this mistake took place to curtail it from happening again.

We hope to welcome you back so that we may have another chance to exceed your expectations of both the restaurant and the hotel.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have stayed at the Jefferson many tines over the years and each has been as good or better than the ones before it. The staff is at the top of the heap in attentiveness, the facility is impressive all by itself, it has charm and sophistication unrivaled elsewhere in the DC area. Pricy but worth every $. My highest recommendation for a hotel in the area and convenient to all of the K Street Offices.

Room Tip: I've been most pleased with a room near the front.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank T C

Dear T C,

What kind words for The Jefferson regarding both our location & the level of service that you experienced during your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Late night room service, promised for 30 minutes, never arrived even after 90 minutes. Called front desk and was promised attention. No callback. Called and asked for night manager. 30 minutes later called again. Night manager said their was "confusion." Asked to have general manager call me next day. Never heard from anyone. Usually okay service. This time an unmitigated disaster.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Harry C

Dear Harry C,

Please accept my most sincere apology for the service issues you experienced with your late night room service experience. I sincerely regret the frustration and disappointment this caused you, and I assure you that your experience is not the standard to which we aspire, nor which our guests have a right to expect. I am actively addressing the matter and can assure you it will not happen again and I'd ask that you please give me a call on my direct line to discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 202.448.3272.

I look forward to speaking with you.