“Very upscale be but not stuffy.”

The Jefferson, Washington DC
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We just stayed at the Jefferson for 7 days. We booked this through our timeshare. When we arrived we discovered this was not the usual type of hotel we stay in. Upon our arrival we were greeted by several helpful and friendly employees in very formal suits and tuxedos that dealt with our luggage. We were escorted to the reception desk and then to the room. The room was outstanding. A very classic style but with all of the modern amenities needed. Free WiFi, flat screen TV (with HBO). For a basic room it was very spacious with high ceilings. The bathroom was very large with a walk in shower. There was a TV built into the bathroom mirror!!! The fitness center was very clean and they provide fresh apples and bottled water. The room comes with bottled water. Turn down service with robes and slippers. We used the room service 3 times. All the food was good. The burger was a little too done! Great location, the White House was about 4 blocks away. Concierge service was great. Every time we passed a staff member they always smiled and wish you a good day or ask if there is anything we needed. Your choice of newspaper hanging on the door every morning. Walking the halls I never saw a maid’s cart. On checkout they called and said my bill was ready and do I need help with my bags. I told them no I was good. But the minute the elevator opened there was 2 staff members, “Let me take those Mr. … . Would recommend this hotel if it is in price range. As I stated above we booked through our T/S and we did not fit the normal clientele, but the staff did not make us feel uncomfortable. The hotel and its staff really helped to make this vacation one to remember and want to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dean M

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel grew on me. My first reaction was that it was classic and beautiful but sort of cramped (lobby, elevators, etc.). A wonderful bellman helped me to my room which was also not big, but once i wrapped myself into the crisp robe and got into the fabulous sheets, poured water from a beautiful glass bottle, i didn't want to leave. I had room service breakfast both days i was there, listening to classical music which they had programmed on the sound system. Delicious. The mirror in the bathroom has a hidden TV which was very cool. The location is great for walking to the mall or DuPont Circle, and the staff all very personable and welcoming. It was well worth the money! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cmaz
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Upscale. We stayed for several nights in May 2013. On May 8 there was some kind of an official event on the premises and the President of the United States himself participated. Thanks God we were travelling that day and didn't get under examination by the Security Service (not that we have something to hide, but this is never pleasant). Concierge called us one day before the event and warned that the whole block will be blocked by the Security Service and we need to have IDs on us to get inside. But all in all this is really classy hotel. Top notch. The concierge looked so important at his working desk as if he was an executive VP of some major investment bank on Manhattan. I was always in doubt whether I have to say "hello" to him or better not to bother such an important man. But the service was great. The room service very nice (I liked that they offered an option of salad instead of french fries with the club sandwich - healthy choice!) The room was exceptionally clean, the linen and all materials and furniture in the room were of really high quality (then again I would be surprised to have anything of lower quality for such price). Great minibar. The room itself was not large, but OK. The bathroom was great and very comfortable. Walking distance from the White House and the National Mall. Great place to stay, if you can afford it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank maxim_bobin
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Caveat- we were a banquet. I did not stay in a room, so that eating should be n/a. This hotel is in the middle of the city, close to everything, and DC the way DC has always been. It is elegant, full of history, and beautiful. The staff were amazing and efficient. They were there when we needed them and invisible when we didn't need them. The food was wonderful! Inventive and tasty, each course complimented the next. I was, remarkably, not hungry or stuffed- it was just right. I highly recommend this venue for intimate banquets. Our group was 50 people.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank S K
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed at the Jefferson for 5 nights in April 2013. Our room was clean, good size and excellent amenities. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a classy hotel in a good location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Clazman
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We found a great deal for a room at TheJefferson in DC and my wife and I checked other travelers opinions on TRipAdvisor.
Not only were the reviews on target but we loved the room-the concierge-the location-the service
A total winner!!not only was the. Hotel great but our deal included parking and breakfast-both are a tremendous value
You have to stay at the Jefferson if you are. Going to DC

Room Tip: Stay away from the second floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmmorea
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent a weekend at this hotel for a quick getaway. It is a beautiful hotel in a quiet neighborhood approximately six blocks from the White House. We reserved a Deluxe King room which was very nice and the bed and pillows were extremely comfy. The television in the bathroom is a nice touch when you are getting ready in the morning. We particularly enjoyed The Quill bar and Luca made a fabulous mint julep (it was Kentucky Derby Saturday) and we really enjoyed speaking with him! Because The Plume restaurant was closed on Sunday we had dinner in The Quill's bar outside patio, a truly spectacular setting. Our waitress was wonderful and the food was delicious. All the staff were very helpful and we did enjoy our time there. For future reference, the Deluxe King room we stayed in was not how it is described on the website's floor plan for that room and was located in an alley not a rooftop or city view. Unless you are lucky enough to be given the bigger Deluxe King I would reserve the smaller Premier King. The Plume restaurant is closed on Sunday and Monday and the house car is not available on weekends and when it is will not go to either Union Station or an airport.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear nph24,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, but in particular that you found our staff very helpful and wonderful. Our team takes great pride in providing genuine service and it will be my pleasure to share your comments with them. I did want to apologize that our web site’s floor plan description did not match your impressions of the room. As a result, I am reviewing all of our room descriptions to ensure we are providing guests with a more accurate depiction. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Jefferson, on any future visits to Washington, DC.

Robert Jenny