“True 5-star experience.”

The Jefferson, Washington DC
Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The most annoying thing when staying in any hotel is when the property or the service doesn’t meet the expectations associated with the hotel’s class. The Jefferson Hotel completely met all the expectations. When we arrived in our own car, the doorman got our entire luggage, put it on a cart, and showed to us where we can check-in. There are 2 receptionists sitting at their individual desks, who greet you, and offer you to sit to go through the check-in process. Even though I reserved a deluxe king room, we got a free upgrade to the suite. The suite was amazing with all the amenities you could possibly want in a hotel room (you can take a look at the pictures that I took to see for yourself). The only thing missing was the coffee maker, but with very good coffee available every morning in the lobby it wasn’t a problem at all. The water in the hotel’s fancy bottles is complimentary, the wired and wireless internet as well as shoeshine services were complimentary as well. Apparently, the hotel offers complimentary garment pressing (1 item per person), but since I haven’t used it, I can’t really comment on it. We used the hotel’s concierge service to find what places to visit and where to eat, and were completely satisfied. The parking charges are quite expensive at $45 per night, but since we stayed here for only 1 night, it wasn’t a big deal. If you’re staying for a lot longer, you’re probably better off parking the car elsewhere.
If I were to come back to Washington DC, this is the place I would pick again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vkramaro
Write a ReviewReviews (1,170)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was in Washington DC for business at the Capitol so I selected this property for amenities and location. All of my unique and specific requests were met. I wanted dinner for 4 from the restaurant and not room service in my suite... no problem! I needed car service at the drop of a hat... no problem.

The decor is contemporary american to its finest. The staff was warm, highly competent and professional. The linens and toiletries were first rate. There was great natural light and windows in the living room, bedroom and bathroom.

The spa was small but had all the details needed for a massage services. I really enjoyed the therapists escorting me from my room.

The room ceilings are a bit lower than I like and the hallway layout is a tad confusing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ShareBug
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed here 1 night however thoroughly enjoyed it. It's in a great location has a great decor' & provide good service. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in DC. Its almost like you are staying at a really nice house from the 50's.

2  Thank pickascreenname090
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent three nights over Easter weekend at this lovely city hotel. It is centrally located close to Dupont Circle and the White House is visible down the street. It is a small and intimate hotel with a cozy lobby that feels like walking into a townhome. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies which we enjoyed discovering, such as a library with a fireplace and two little lounge rooms with comfy sofas. The staff is very friendly and personable. We had a large room with two queen beds, since we had our two children with us.

Staying with Children
We were a little nervous to bring our children along (ages 4 and 9). We thought there would be lots of stern stares from staff and other guests, so we were pleasantly surprised to find out there were some 30 other children at the hotel over Easter. This hotel welcomes kids with many little touches. They were allowed to pick a toy each from the welcome cart by the front desk. Then there were little surprises in the room each day, such as pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate and crushed m&ms (yum!) and one day there were pop tarts with our children's names in chocolate on them - so cute!

Dining
We ordered room service on two mornings, wanting to relax in the hotel bathrobe and slippers. The food was excellent, albeit pricey, to be expected in a fancy hotel. The kids had waffles, we had scrambled eggs and coffee. We tried the fruit and yogurt smoothies and they were very good. Both times the waiter was very friendly (bit of a character calling my husband "Boss") and on time. The third morning we attempted Saturday brunch in the Greenhouse. This is a lovely room off the lobby and we had a another wonderful meal of eggs benedict and mimosas. There were other children at the brunch, so we didn't feel uncomfortable. We also enjoyed a drink or two in Quill, the bar. They serve meals there too, but we just had heavy snacks (smoked salmon for Dad and cupcakes for the kids) and beverages. We hear that dinner at Plume is one of the best meals in DC, but we didn't have time in our stay to try it.

Summary
This hotel is beautiful! It celebrates Thomas Jefferson with a large collection of his papers and artifacts from Monticello. The decor is traditional, which is in keeping with the city. We loved walking all day, visiting famous sites and museums and then coming home to the cozy, warm hotel which is a respite from the urban chaos outside. It was a worthwhile splurge for us to celebrate Spring and Easter.

Room Tip: This is an urban hotel and some of the rooms are tight. If you are traveling with kids, make sure t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank HalandCatherine
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Wow. I checked into this small hotel in the heart of the embassy district, and was immediately immersed in its discrete style and luxury. I was settled at a business desk, and after signing in was taken to my room.
The hotel is under a hundred rooms, but apparently enjoys a celebrity group of clients. A well known actor was in the lobby at one point, and the President recently hosted a dozen or so Republican congressmen to dinner. Anyway, everything about the hotel was superb, from the fabulous, personable staff, to the well appointed rooms, outstanding food and beverage, and wonderful service. I wish i could have stayed longer than the two days i had there.

Room Tip: My room only had a shower, which suits me. If you require a bathtub, ask for one
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MichaelBroadhurst
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice small hotel, excellent service, great location. Decor is authentic to the period and very tasteful. Our room was handicap accessible, which was not our choice. While we would have preferred a standard room, the changes to the room were relatively unobtrusive. Our room (#301) was on the third floor near the flagpoles. Unfortunately, we were there on two very blustery March days, and the noise from the clanging hardware was disruptive. I will request a higher floor the next time. Location is very convenient to the Metro, shopping and restaurants. Quill is a lovely bar and the perfect spot for an evening cocktail.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kmcelvany
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a weekend getaway. We were able to check into our room early, and while our bags were brought up, we enjoyed a quick lunch at Quill. I had the Croque Monsieur, which I always wanted to try, and he had the burger. Both were delicious. We had a package that included two complimentary drinks from the bar and they were prepared well.

The hotel itself is beautiful and small. We requested a tour and the concierge was happy to oblige. She showed us the various rooms and described the history of the hotel.

Our room was the king deluxe. The room itself was small, but still comfortable. The furniture was nice and there was a desk and an extra lounge chair. The hotel doesn't give bottled water, they fill up glass bottles with filtered tap water, which is environmentally friendly. The bed was soft and I used the extra pillow from the closet. The bathroom is nice with the usual amenities. The hair dryer was an 1850, but it was small, so it takes a whie to dry your hair. We took advantage of the free shoe shine, and they did a very good job. Our turndown service was nice. The hotel had robes available and while they were not the typical plush kind, they were very comfortable. They also offered slippers. We were in a room directly overlooking 16th street, but we didn't hear any noise all night.

We had Easter Brunch and although we were seated in a thoroughfare (staff entrance on our left and a wait staff station on our right) it was a good meal with a unique selection.

The hotel is centrally located to main attractions and right across the street from the National Geographic Museum. Walk across and go see the photos, which are free (as opposd to the tickets for the museum).

Overall, it is a wonderful hotel and I would recommend it to those who want a special getaway.

Room Tip: Room 300 is next to the elevator and overlooks the street. We didn't have a problem with the no...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple