“Great hotel in a good location”

The Jefferson, Washington DC
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel is situated in a good location, a little off the main routes so its not super busy outside the hotel. Concierge is great - good recommendations. Room was good, decent size, clean and comfortable bed. A few of the things that kept it from being 5/5 was a few little things that were not at or above peer levels - lighting controls in the room were a bit of a pain - for example, no controls on the side lamps (have to walk to them to turn off/on), blinds in bathroom didn't close 100%. But these are small things that separate hotels in the top tier charging a high tariff from being good vs great. The above being said, we would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CANDVD

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel was a pleasure to stay at. The hotel was elegant, immaculate, and historically interesting. It is within walking distance of the conference center, White House and Georgetown, all places we enjoyed during our stay. We very much enjoyed our 6th floor deluxe king room. The room was clean, quiet and very comfortable, and the bathroom was well kept. The staff was more than accommodating, easily accessible and very professional. Does not disappoint! We will stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nomurm
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Jefferson is a friendly and spotless house in the heart of DC, with one of the best services I encountered, spotless rooms, very large baths with towels you'd want to have at home, and a lot of nice touches. Last but not least, a Mercedes S Class with driver to take you to your appointment or restaurant free of charge. A true Relais & Châteaux experience, even if unfortunately I did not get to try the food this time. I'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is an elegant, beautiful, and serene hotel with lovely amenities; we stayed for five days and were very comfortable until the last night, when the air conditioning failed. Our beds were fantastic. Our room was spacious and kept immaculately clean throughout our stay.

We were there during a Congressional recess, so the dining options in the hotel were limited---but we were not informed of this when we booked. We ate in the hotel only twice, and sadly, at breakfast on the last morning, a cheese and mushroom omelet was served without cheese, and the mushrooms used were not fresh.

There was painting in progress on the first level, and we were surprised they were not using zero or low VOC paint, which is widely available in very high quality formulas these days. I had informed the hotel when booking that one of our party is very sensitive to chemicals so they could avoid putting us in a newly decorated or newly carpeted room, so they ought to have informed us that painting would be done while we were there. The fumes did not reach our room, but we had to pass through the painting between entrance and elevator and the sensitive member of our part developed short-lived headaches and nausea each time. On balance, however, the stay was more than satisfactory and my husband announced when we left that he wanted to come back and live there.

NOTE: If you are thinking of getting a massage in the their spa while there, by all means, do so, if you can get Bud. Bud is highly trained and experienced in bodywork, a truly accomplished practitioner. Ask the concierge if he is available and don't mull over the various "named" massage options in the spa menu. Just get Bud and tell him what you want or don't want.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amateuse
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at the Jefferson for 3 nights in a king size deluxe room. One of the most comfortable beds ever ! Would recommend this hotel to anyone who is a bit jaded by the Chains as it is a DC sight to see itself, especially if US history is an interest.
The biggest asset to the hotel has to be its Concierge team, headed by the wonderful Chris Adcock. Nothing is too much trouble for Chris & he really goes that extra mile to assist guests.
Not knowing the area we had our night caps in Quill which offers a lovely all day menu & great nibbles. My review of Plume will follow ( & yes, it was worth it ). We found all staff to be very friendly. The room & all areas of the hotel we used were spotless and regularly serviced. In a good location half a miles walk from the White House it is also a short distance from Dupont Circle for Sightseeing bus & metro links.

We had a slight foible with the bill that was quickly settled, but it is certainly worth the 5 stars.

Room Tip: Was very happy with my sixth floor room looking out onto 16th street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bellefast
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stay at the Jefferson two weeks ago, I encounter a problem with the AC unit and the cleanliness of my room. I then spoke to the Director of Housekeeping who was very rude. This was a Monday afternoon that I saw her in the hallway she had a chip on her shoulder I asked her to help me and she was very rude, I then asked her name which she just walked away. I will never stay at the Jefferson again the hotel is gone down in service and cleanliness. If your looking for customer service don't stay at the Jefferson gone to the dogs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
22  Thank Elba39
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Elba39,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to hear that after you gave us a second chance, after your previously poor experience last year, we were unable to meet your expectations.
I would be grateful if you could contact me directly, so that I may personally apologize for the service and cleanliness issues you experienced.

Robert Jenny
Director of Operations
202.448.2300
rjenny@jeffersondc.com

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent our one year anniversary here. The hotel had a historic modern vibe. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom had a tv built into the mirror! Note: parking was an additional $45.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple