“The Rich Are Different”

Ranked #5 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“The Rich Are Different”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

They get to stay in very nice hotels like this one. I got in at Fed Govt rate on a business trip and was heartilly impressed. My personal highlight was the shower. To paraphrase Spinal Tap: these showers go to eleven. Seriously. Big shower, lots of water, and impressive water pressure. A personal major dislike is hotel showers that scrimp on water pressure. I like the water and energy savings ethic that may prompt some hotels to go that route - but they should find those savings elsewhere. Not an issue at this hotel. My room, though small, was quiet and comfortable. I did not have a drink in the bar, but took a look - very nice. Everything about the hotel spoke quality.

One quibble. At higher levels of hotel quality, some hotels do not offer guests a coffee maker in-room. I guess the idea is if you can afford to stay here you should be willing to call for room service. I got a coffee maker by calling the front desk, but shouldn't have had to do that. Don't force guests to feel like they're cheap.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank YosemiteSam1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 11, 2012

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The bellman asked us if we would like a quick tour on our way up to the room. After we were escorted to our rooms our bags arrived shortly after. We brought a bottle of champagne with us and after returning from a quick walk through DC we found our champagne on ice. We didn't have to call or ask for this to be done, it was the bellmans attention to detail. What a nice surprise and delight.

Tip: check out the library they have original books that were read by Thomas Jefferson and they also have signed books by authors that have stayed here. Look on the top shelf you'll notice everyone from Bono to Bill Gates.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank apnomadk
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I have travelled to many cities and stayed in numerous hotelsThere is no hotel that I have been a guest at compares to the Jefferson. The rooms are spaceous and I absolutely feel pampered while I am there. The bathroom is a perfect size and the tv in the mirror, amazing. One last comment, I had dinner one evening in the restaurant and 2 unexpected things happened. The first was a velvet stool was delivered to my table so my purse didn't have to hang on the chair and the other was after the meal, I was handed a gift bag that included a small box of chocolates. What a touch.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Nancy S
New York, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Based on other reviews, I was looking forward to my stay. However, I found it hard to sleep due to the incessant traffic noise. Next time, I'll try one of the other high end hotels in DC.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank john23
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear john23,

The fact that you were looking forward to your stay with us and we were not able to meet your expectations is a major disappointment to me. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor night's sleep you experienced during your most recent stay at The Jefferson. I regret the inconvenience and frustration that the traffic noise caused you, and I assure you that your experience is not the standard to which we aspire, nor which our guests have a right to expect.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back and personally ensure that you have a great night's sleep without any noise disruption.

Robert Jenny
Director of Operations
Richmond Virginia
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Jefferson has a European Boutique hotel feel. Our room had beautiful french fabrics and furniture. The shower only bath was small but had a fabulous shower, and a t.v. in the vanity mirror. The service from the staff was attentive, not suffocating and top notch! We took advantage of the cosy and professional spa and I had one of the best massages by Darlene! We dined in the Plume Restaurant and chose a 3 course meal. The food was divine, and the service impeccable. The staff made every effort to make our anniversary celebration romantic and fun. We walked to the White House after dinner and had a nightcap in the Quill lounge. We also had lobster eggs benedict in the morning room which was regal! This hotel is a wonderful place to celebrate anything special, or to just spend time in Washington DC.
The staff acts like family, and makes you feel like that too. We cannot wait to visit again. Thanks to the staff for such a wonderful visit!

Room Tip: Use the pre-visit survey to ask for what you want.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank love2travel2209
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Beautiful hotel, superb personalized service. Room elegant and comfortable. Loved the wood paneled library with fireplace - a great place to sit and read the paper. Staff very attentive. Great place for a weekend trip to DC. Looking forward to staying again in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VA_travels60893
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I stayed at The Jefferson, Washington, D.C., for six nights in the first week of January 2012. This is generally a quiet week in Washington, D.C. It's cold but otherwise a great time of the year to visit the capital - the museums and monuments are all open but without the crowds of spring and summer.

The hotel is a boutique property (with around 90 rooms) housed in a beautiful 10 or 11 story beaux-arts style building on the corner of 16th and M Streets. It's in an upscale area surrounded by embassies, other luxury hotels and professional and not-for-profit organizations (the National Geographic Society is next door). The location is great - walk about four blocks south and you're in the White House precinct and a couple of blocks north and you're in the lively Dupont Circle area. The nearest Metro Stations are less than 10 minutes walk away.

Although housed in a historic building, The Jefferson was renovated completed in 2008. The restoration is very impressive - the rooms and public areas are sparklingly fresh and modern yet preserve the hotel's old world charm. Somehow the hotel manages to be grand and opulent yet homely and intimate at the same time - I don't how they do it!. In the six nights I stayed there I didn't see many other guests and the staff always recognized me, greeted me by name and made me feel welcomed.

Which brings me to the service at this hotel. It's simply superb in every way - every single staff member I interacted with - doormen, front desk staff, concierge, housekeeping staff - was warm and polite and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. They were so genuine, without any trace of haughtiness. All my requests and queries were dealt with promptly, efficiently and professionally, and always with a smile and sense of humour. The staff struck the perfect balance between being attentive and pro-active while remaining unobtrusive. Being a relatively small hotel, service is also quite personal - for example little comments I made to staff were passed on to and remembered later by other staff.

I was very pleased with my room. Furniture was custom-made for the hotel in an 18th plantation century style reminiscent of Thomas Jefferson's home in Monticello. Having been renovated a few years ago, it was also very modern - iPod player, Bose sound system, climate control air-conditioning, 32 inch TV with dozens of U.S. and international channels and high-speed free WiFi. I loved that all room phone calls within the United States were free of charge - more hotels should adopt this policy. The attention to detail was excellent - light switches were thoughtfully positioned and there was even a stationery kit in my desk drawer (very useful!). One of the best parts of the room was that the window actually opened - I like having fresh air in my room!

The bathroom was luxuriously appointed (faced with sandstone I think) with plenty of bench space. Toiletries were the hotel spa's own brand. There was a very spacious glass enclosed shower - this was a treat, but I found the controls fiddly and difficult to get the water temperature right. Towels in numerous shapes and sizes were thick, fluffy and plentiful.

Room housekeeping was excellent - I returned to my room each evening to find it immaculately made up with little details taken care of (e.g. water bottles refilled). I was amazed at how clean the room was kept.

I ordered room service a few times and had breakfast in the Conservatory restaurant once. The food, mainly classic American fare, was delicious. I also had drinks with friends in the Quill bar (inside the hotel) once - this is an upscale place that attracts a wealthy D.C. crowd and offers interesting people-watching.

Overall, I was delighted with The Jefferson in every respect. The feeling of luxury and elegance matched with warm and personal service made me feel like I was a guest at the private mansion of a wealthy friend rather than at a hotel.

Highly recommended!