“Unbelievably Appalling”

Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Portland, Oregon
“Unbelievably Appalling”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel as a returning guest. The rooms are dated. The fold-out couch, which was the second guest bed, was sagging and broken.

Dinner in the restaurant was fraught with staff noise tableside and other, incompetance and poor presentation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank WeGoGreen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Of course, there are many five star hotels round the world, and I've enjoyed staying in my fair share in the D.C. area. There's something about Hay-Adams, however, which sheds light on the gravity of why you're there. Nothing better than a view of the White House and Washington Monument from one's room is a more poignant reminder.  In case more is needed, however, being seated next to the great Senator Kennedy during breakfast in the dining room a few years back was confirmation, for me.

The staff and services here are impeccable; the furnishings elegant and refined. When you put your feet up at the end of a very long day, you may do so with confidence that quality cuisine and treatment are coming your way.

It can be pricey, but stay here and splurge at least once on a trip to the seat of power.  It is quite simply, extraordinary!

• Stayed February 2010
New York, New York
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I stayed at this hotel while attending a wedding on NYE, and it was a wonderful experience. The hotel is gorgeous - beautiful architecture, elegant chandeliers and detailing, high-caliber guests, etc. - and is located within walking distance to everything you'd like to see. The rooms are large, spacious, and comfortable, the food is superb, and the service is outstanding. The staff members addressed us by name, were very nice and professional, and made us feel completely welcomed. They accomodated us hassle-free when we needed a late check-out and somehwere to store our bags as we walked around post-check out. It was worth every penny! I would recommend reserving a room without a view because it's several hundred dollars cheaper and it's still the same wonderful stay experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MelissaRed5
Adelaide
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I picked this hotel predominantly for the location, via the internet. It looked much more "old worldly" than I would usually choose and I was more than a little concerned about how they would welcome my six year old daughter.
Yes the hotel is obviously geared towards government/diplomats, considering its location, but I could not have been happier with the staff here. We were made to feel very welcome and their interaction with my daughter was exceptional. A silver service restaurant is a daunting place for a family with a young daughter, but once again the exceptional staff kept her occupied and entertained all night. At the same time they delivered a perfect level of service to the adult guests (and again at breakfast).
I would not hesitate to book the Hay-Adams again whether for a business trip or a family stay in DC. Whilst the rooms are not the largest, newest or funkiest, they are of a high standard and the service levels and exceptional staff lift this to one of my best stays.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Georgia
Reviewed December 16, 2010

A business trip took me to DC and, given my choice of hotels, I selected the famous Hay-Adams, anticipating a quiet retreat where I could decompress from business meetings. Not quite.

Backing up a bit: the staff is unfailing polite, from the doormen to the front desk to room service. The hotel is drop-dead beautiful, and the food is well beyond what you'd expect from a hotel.

However, when I checked into my courtyard-view room on a low floor, I immediately heard the loud vent right outside the window. Construction is everywhere on the exterior of the hotel, and the courtyard was filled with a roll-off, debris and all kinds of pipes and vents that were quite noisy. I asked to be relocated, and the hotel complied. So I moved to the same room, on a higher floor. But since the courtyard is brick, the sound still carried up to my floor. During the evening, I could hear the vent turn on and off, even over my TV.

At 5:30 a.m., I was awakened by huge crashing and banging and beeping noises. Looking at the window, I saw construction trucks getting started for the day in the alley right next to the hotel. They backed up (beeping), picked up the roll-off (banging), dropped things into it (crashing). There was no way anyone could sleep through this cacophony, and it continued until I finaly gave up at 6:30 a.m.

My room was on the end of one building and I never could get it warm throughout the entire evening. Using the in-room temperature control I put it on heat, auto, everything - even cranked the temp up to 84! - and it never, ever got warm. Outside temps were in the teens, so this was really uncomfortable.

Admittedly, I didn't call the front desk about either the temp or the construction noise. I was really hoping for a little peace and quiet and privacy while there and I didn't want service people tromping in and out of my room.

I mentioned the construction noise at check-out and while the staffer was appropriately apologetic, no explanation was offered.

So, my dream of a lovely little respite during a stresful business trip came crashing down. I was very disappointed in the Hay-Adams. Perhaps after the construction is finished (some time in 2011) at least one of these challenges will be fixed. I don't plan to stay there again - there are other, just-as-nice hotels where I can get my room warm and not be awakened before the crack of dawn.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank GeorgiaGirl40
ChristofPignet, Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback of your previous stay at the Hay Adams. While we greatly appreciate your patronage I read with much dismay that your experience was subpar.
The construction work you are referencing pertains to our private roof top terrace.
The “Top of the Hay” underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation and is scheduled to open in late January 2011.
The project is completed and there will be no further noise disturbances as a result.
The all-new, L-shaped space features floor-to-ceiling windows, a wraparound terrace, and five separate rooms that will fit groups of 15 to 300 and offer panoramic views of the White House and downtown Washington.
Designed by interior designer Tom Pheasant and architectural design firm Hartman-Cox Architects, the updated decor boasts a new palette, and mosaic tiles, marble floors, and custom-designed carpets.
Your reference to not being able to heat the room sufficiently of course concerned us equally , since each unit is controlled electronically and found the thermostat had lost its ability of reading the proper temperature.
The unit was replaced. Again, we are sorry for any inconveniences suffered as a result of these incidents that caused your discomfort.
We hope that on future visit we will have the opportunity in restoring your confidence in the hotel.

Hans Bruland
Vice President & General Manager
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We stayed at the Hay-Adams for six nights during the week of Thanksgiving. The hotel was everything we expected. It is in a perfect location for sightseeing, it is absolutely beautiful inside, the rooms are wonderful and the customer service was top-notch. Our room was plenty big enough and was nicely appointed with furniture, decorations, etc. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. The restaurant was very good. The service was excellent and almost all of the poeple in the hotel knew us by name by the end of our trip. The concierge service gave us fantastic dinner ideas every night. We could see the White House from our room, and were a short walk from the monuments and the Mall (Smithsonian museums).

This hotel had been recommended to us by several friends and we were told it was the best in DC. It lived up to expectations. While it is certainly 5-star all the way, and you will see plenty of people in business suits and tuxedos/evening gowns, it was not too formal for our tourist family dressed casually either. I highly recommend the Hay-Adams.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JMBax
North Carolina
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Recently stayed at The Hay Adams for a business overnight trip. The service and recognition was outstanding. Eye contact, intuitive service and comfort are just some of the words to describe my 24 hour experience.
I had the most fabulous view of the White House. The rooms are smaller compared to other luxury hotels however, I would rather have the service levels and the ambience. Plus, the bed was so comfortable. Could not work out the shower, however, I did not mind as the Oatmeal Souffle in the restaurant was amazing.
The bar downstairs is also worth noting. Great bar staff. Very knowledgable and welcoming. Cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business