“Friendly Five Star Service”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed July 16, 2007

I had heard if you were not dressed well you would not be treated well at this hotel but I arrived after traveling by car for hours in simple jeans and a black top and was greeted by the valet with all the friendliness in the world. He was so helpful and nice as was the lady at the front desk who offered my teenage daughter cookies. The room was wonderful, elegant, comfy just like being at home and with lovely amenities.

Room service was splendid; the gentleman who brought our dinner both nights (we ate in as my daughter was ill) was such a nice man, very pleasant with a lovely smile, offering his services very happily and willingly. Like the wonderful valet I can’t express how much his pleasant demeanor and friendliness meant to me after the long drive and having to deal with my daughter suddenly taking ill.

I must add that there is a $35 per night valet charge as well as a 48 hour cancellation policy, the latter which I forgot when I first made reservations as most hotels require 24 hours advance notice, however they really went out of their way to work with me so I could simply reschedule and not be charged for a day. All in all everyone at the hotel was most helpful and I would go back in a heartbeat regardless of the price, it’s well worth it. The location was superb, the beds, the room so comfortable, the view wonderful, the entire experience was perfect for both myself and my daughter despite not feeling well during the visit.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank StormyWindRider
There are newer reviews for The Hay-Adams

Reviewed June 27, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights in June. I requested a high floor and view of the church. I called to confirm before I arrived. I was placed on the 3rd floor. I complained and was moved--with a 3 hour wait. I know this can't always be guaranteed and they did move me. The room was very average. The bathroom was on your left as you walk in--very small. It was also very noisy-both inside and out. Inside, we heard everything in the hall ways. We faced the front of the hotel, which was actually quieter than the White House view side. The street noise (esp buses) was constant day and night. The location was great. You felt like you were in an old home--truly charming. The lobby had only chairs, no sofa--so there was no place to sit and wait for friends without being right in front of the reception desk or right in front of the concierge. The location was pretty hard to beat. The service was also excellent. I like small hotels, but I may try the Willard next time, just because of the street noise.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank dmd
Reviewed June 25, 2007

I often come to Washington and have stayed in a variety of excellent hotels. In the future, I will always try to book the Hay Adams first. The reason is location (across the street from the White House and easy walking to where I need to go), service (it seemed they knew my name before they even met me), comfort (the room is exquisitely decorated and makes me feel like I am home), and one of the best restuarants and bars in the city. It is simply a pleasure to have breakfast in this dining room. Last week I sat next to Desmond Tutu. Amazing.
The conceirge at the Hay Adams is friendly and helpful. He even recommended a place to buy a laptop computer, printed a map so that I could find the Singapore Embassy, and helped my wife find a place for Vietnamese noodles! The doormen and the bell staff were great too for arranging transportation and other well mannered support. Working for tips? Sure, but I like to tip and its what makes things work anyway. In summary, a class act that backs up its price with a serious committment to sincere service and style.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank wacka
Reviewed June 3, 2007

We wanted a nice hotel near the attractions of DC. I didn't know what to expect w/HA even after reading reviews. We have a 19 month old who was coming along. From the second we drove up to valet, to the warm welcome at the front door. Everytime during our stay, we were always greated by warm, helpful, educated staff. All wanted to make sure our stay was wonderful. We also were given toys, and the staff helped entertain our son. We had one minor bad experience. When I booked the room, I asked for a quiet room. Oddly enough, we were placed on the 8th floor near an area they prepare food for private events. We had to ask for our room to be changed. Beyond that, everything was top notch. Even room service offered top quality food and quick service. Our rate offered breakfast and parking, and was 3 nights for the price of 2. As long as your children are somewhat well behavied, you can stay at a top notch hotel! We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: June 2007
6  Thank jaguar2b
Reviewed May 30, 2007

We booked a special 'romance' package as part of our wedding anniversary celebrations. The package was supposed to have a view of a church across the street. Imagine our surprise when we were upgraded to a room overlooking Jackson Park and the White House.

Accomodations were sparkling clean and seemed to anticipate whatever needs you might desire.

Service, from valet parking, to front desk, to the dining room were helpful, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Room service was prompt and food was warm and tastey.

Not inexpensive but definitely value for money. A world class hotel with a great location.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TruffleKing
Reviewed May 25, 2007

My husband, baby and I enjoyed a wonderful three-night stay at the Hay-Adams. The staff was more welcoming and helpful than any high-end hotel I've ever stayed at. They could not have been more kind towards us and our 7-month-old, giving us toys, entertaining him in the formal dining room and making sure we were comfortable (needless to say you don't see many babies in that button-down, politico environment). Only drag was our room faced an air shaft but we were paying much less than what the website had quoted me -- I actually called the hotel directly and got a lower rate. Room was large and luxurious. I'm also now obsessed with the gorgeous Wedgewood china pattern they stock.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank A_Picky_Angelena
Reviewed April 28, 2007

The staff was welcoming, the room was elegant and very comfortable, the dining room beautiful, and the bar/lunch spot very nice indeed. You cannot do better.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo