“Excellent Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
NY/Miami
“Excellent Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

Excellent Stay! Spent 2 nights with girlfriend in an Executive studio. All requests were met promptly and effeciently. Concierge happily took care of everything from restaurant reservations (try Marcels!) to arranging theatre tickets. Beds were extremely comfortable and overall stay was on par with any other 5 star hotel in the D.C area. The front desk staff never forgot my name and there were always several staff members waiting to greet upon return. Location cannot be beat! Off the Record Bar downstairs was excellent aswell. Pricey but well worth it. Will rturn next time in D.C!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank MainEventHospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2007

Our family with two children loved this hotel. The service was five star in every respect. The staff went out of its way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. We recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Liked — Outstanding Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank CLReviewer
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2007

I just encountered some very rude service at the Hay Adams.

First, I called from San Francisco to speak to someone at the hotel and was told that they were too busy to talk and could I call back in 10 mins. I have never had someone say that to me at a hotel I am about to give $800.

Second, when I called back 10 mins later to explain that I had to cancel the reservation for one of the two rooms I had reserved only last night because my mother couldn't join me for my trip after all, the manager told me that I would be charged the entire price for the room anyway because of their 24 hour cancellation policy. When I explained that the person in reservations I had spoken to never mentioned this policy -- and that most hotels do mention if they have this policy and that if they had mentioned it, I would have called 3 hours ago because I do not generally like to waste $400 -- he told me that he didn't believe me.

The fact that I only reserved the room about 12 hours ago, making it fairly unlikely that they would have rented it to someone else, seemed to make no difference.

Needless to say, never staying here again, and I recommend that you don't either. Situations like these are the real test of good service, and no hotel with rates this high should treat customers like this.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank SFTraveler36
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

We stayed at the Hay Adams from December 28 - 31st and absolutely loved it. We got a package where the third night was free and included breakfast and valet parking. Upon arrival we upgraded to a junior suite overlooking the White House and were given a interconnecting room with our grown children. What makes the Hay Adams special is its history, location and the charming decor as well as modern conveniences like wireless Internet in the rooms and an excellent business center free of cost. The rooms were beautifully appointed and tastefully decorated. Linens and all furnishings were top of the line. The bathrooms were a tad smaller than most hotels but more than made up for it with its beautiful marble and elegant fittings. The staff were friendly and very happy to take care of your every need. The turndown service in the evenings was always welcome with a bottle of water and chocolates at your bedside. There was always soothing music playing when we returned to our room after a day of walking. The Lafayette room where we had breakfast and dinner was elegant and superb. The Bar in the basement was excellent and provided light fare upto midnight in case you wanted a snack. If you compare it to other luxury hotels like the Ritz or the Four Seasons - what sets the Hay Adams apart would be the building and its history which has been maintained with the utmost care while providing absolutely first class service. Definitely deserves to be one of The Leading Hotels of the World. Would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

• Liked — Quality of rooms and service
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Tips/Secrets — May be worth looking at specials available during the dates of stay - try and include valet parking
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Lovegoodthings
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2006

It is hard to say a bad thing about my stay here. From when we first walked in the hotel staff were courteous and welcoming. Our room was 406 looking straight out onto the White House. The room was above expectations and all staff were professional. The children were given cookies and milk at bed time, The room service was pricey but the hotel is positioned near some great restaraunts and the kids absolutley loved 'Old Ebbitt Grill' opposite the US Treasury Building. Beds were comfortable and I could not fault one thing about this hotel. Yes it is expensive but worth every cent. Dont forget to go to the roof garden to take great photos of the White house!! After 4 days here it is hard to leave. I was impressed!!

• Liked — Didnt want to leave the room!
  • Disliked — Wish it was more afordable for everyone else to experience!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Roof garden for photos, Leaders club upgrade
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank Hornet22
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2006

They did their best to give us a special rate package. We enjoyed breakfast in bed over looking the White House. I'm sure secret service knew our every move, the hotel did. When we left the room the staff went in and replaced everything used. It was Amazing. Good bell service. Nice tour of hotel and roof. Fresh Orchids around.

• Liked — The Fine Linins, the veiw of the White House
  • Disliked — Queen bed is really a full size bed, small
  • Tips/Secrets — Call front dask and ask for special package price
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank GOALTOGO
Cynthiana, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

My husband and I spent six wonderful nights at the Hay-Adams July 23-28, 2006. We were enchanted even before we stepped inside. The staff seemed genuinely happy to see us and eager to take care of us. Sean at the front desk was friendly and efficient without being forward. The bellman not only delivered our luggage, but gave a thorough introduction to the room and its features.
The room itself was beautifully appointed and the bed was absolutely sumptuous. The housekeeping staff did a meticulous job and the turn-down service was complete, down to the mat and slippers at bedside.
We dined at the the Lafayette restauant the second night of our stay. The food was carefully and thoughtfully prepared and the wait staff was diligent and attentive, always arriving at the perfect time. One waiter even recognized us at the "Off the Record" bar on a subsequent evening and remembered our drink preferences. Yes, he had paid that much attention.
For a dinner reservation nearby, but beyond comfortable walking distance, the hotel car and driver were offered to us.
There was plenty to love about this property and I was disappointed by only two things. We stayed in room 632, an "interior" room. We knew the view would not be impressive, but were surprised by being awakened by the sounds of the emptying of dumpsters in the alley very, very early in the morning. Other parts of the building probably don't have this problem. Secondly, while adequate, the bathroom reflected the history of the building and was beautiful but rather small.
I would certainly recommend this gem of a hotel and would book a room here again in a heartbeat! The tagline, "Where nothing is overlooked except the Whitehouse" is the truth!

• Liked — Quintessential Washington DC location across from the Whitehouse
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a suite, not an interior room.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple