“World Class Service!”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #3 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The Hay Adams is one o the best hotels I ever stayed, I had a quick visit to DC with my wife, we arrived at the hotel around 4:00pm, right way we were greeted by a friendly door man, he escorted us to the reception were Franzciska checked us in, the hotel is gorgeous, Franzciska was very friendly. We were escorted to our suite by Jose, he was fantastic.
The Suite was amazing! the attention to detail is impressive, our view was amazing the white house was right out side of our window! Breakfast next morning was great, the food was great as well. The juice selection was amazing.
The best location to be in DC, all the museums and monuments are form a walking distance from the hotel.
I must say that Service was impeccable. Everyone from Management to Housekeeping does an amazing job.
We look forward for our next visit!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I have now stayed at the Hay-Adams twice in the last two years, and this is one of my favorite hotels. On this trip, I stayed by myself in a very reasonably priced room on the 6th floor. My sister stayed in a HUUUGE suite on the same floor. Why do I love this hotel? The housekeeping staff is so professional, and so thorough. Ice is left without a request. Housekeeping always manages to come when I am out of the room, discreetly and quickly and yet thoroughly.

The beds are incredibly comfortable. Service at the front desk is very attentive. And, free internet access with a desk in each room. Finally, the windows open!

I am thinking of another excuse to go to DC to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank SGNYC
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We just returned from our second stay ay the Hay Adams in Washington, DC...our first was before the new pres stayed there so i was concerned that the hotel had become to snooty. I am glad to report we had a wonderful stay and loved every minute of it! I had booked the cheapest rate available thru their website (I knew it would overlook the alley for that rate) but upon arrival I was offered an upgrade for $70.00 more a night. We took it. The room was overlooking the church on the 4th floor, beautiful room but it was across from the elevators so we could hear people coming and going at times. I did not request a room change(probably would next time) because the hotel staff was able to let us check into our room at 10AM. We had an early flight and upon arriving it was raining, and we were tired and did not feel like walking around DC in the rain. We spent a lazy morning in our room after a wonderful (expensive breakfast) in the dining room. We spent the next 4 days walking around DC and enjoying the hotel location to everything.. Also the security staff were able to escort us to the hotel roof ( closed after 9/11 except for private venues) where you have a breathtalking view of the White House and all other historical sites. From the time we walked in to the check out (late!), and the wonderful cookies at the check in reception, the great burgers in the bar , .we a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flagirl56
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Beautiful hotel, wonderful staff, unobtrusive but superb service, excellent amenities. Absolutely fabulous- could not have asked for more! From check-in to check-out, he best we have tried around Washington to date. Really a wonderful hotel.

That said, the restaurant for dinner was not very good- although the service was fine. Food, including fish and foie gras, had a bit of an off-taste to my palate.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrixFixe
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We were treated like royalty and like long-lost friends when we stayed one night on a family trip to see Washington and the cherry blossom trees. We pulled up to valet parking in our Ford AeroStar van with our mismatched luggage and even a cooler, but we picked up none of the usual get-a-load-of-these-people signals. The only signal we picked up was kindness, in both the hotel and restaurant. Because of the expense this was a once-in-a-lifetime stay for us, but every family should have this experience at least once. During the off-season, and when congress is not in session, the expense might be manageable, as it was for us. We took this family trip a few years ago, but we still talk about it, and remember it fondly.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank ClearBlueOcean
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Stayed at end of June for 5 nights - 5 wonderful nights. The hotel is an icon & everything lived up to it - rooms, service, everything. This was the 2nd time we've stayed there and we've never had a problem. Great location across Lafayette Park from White House. You can eat in the hotel restaurant and overlook the White House. It's a bit like Cheers in that all the staff somehow knows your name. Cookies at front desk. Cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Prof01
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Stayed here over the Fourth of July with my family. This hotel is like the luxury hotels that I remember when I was very young. Everything is extremely professional. The staff all know the guest names--nothing is overlooked. I travel a lot on business and pleasure and its a rarity to encounter service of this quality in the United States. Other than the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco (my favorite city hotel in the US), nothing else comes to mind.

Another attribute that struck me was how good the food was. I know the Obamas love good food and chose this as their hotel while awaiting their White House move. This is some of the best hotel food I have had (again the Ritz Carlton San Francisco comes to mind). All ingredients are fresh and local and expertly prepared by the chef. We stayed for the Fourth of July and the hotel hosted an enormous party with entertainment for children--again really excellent food and so much of it.

The location also simply coudn't be better for a visit to DC. Its right across the street from the White House--need one say more?

The property is beautiful and historic. The hotel is the product of merging two old DC homes (MR. Hayes house was merged with Mr. Adam's house). It is maintained perfectly and is kept meticulously clean. However, keep in mind that it is old, so the rooms while beautiful are NOT sound proof. Little sounds do travel here (as they do in old historic houses). If you are a very sensitive sleeper, this hotel may not be the best choice. However, by opting to go elsewhere, you will miss a wonderful, historic, oldworld experience.

I have traveled to DC a lot in the past few years and stayed at a lot of its hotels (3 of the Ritz Carltons, the Fairmont, The Mandarin Oriental, The Mayfair, The Willard, etc). This is by my favorite hotel in DC. It carries my highest recomendation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family