“Great location - historic and beutiful!!”
Review of The Hay-Adams

The Hay-Adams
Ranked #1 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We chose to stay at this hotel because of the location and we got much more! We had a great time!
The staff was wonderful. The man that checked us in was so friendly. They gave us a map and directions. They made us dinner reservations at cafe milano - great food! The staff was always very friendly! To agree with the other reviews the hotel is small and very intimate so when you are in the lobby all eyes are on you but that comes with a small, historic hotel with tons of charm.
Our room was small but clean and very pretty. The bed was great! We can't wait to stay there again.
When we were leaving it was so hot and the doorman ran out two bottles of water -very nice. We loved the whole experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank crnewjersey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,345)

Reviewed May 20, 2009

We decided to treat ourselves to the Hay Adams Hotel based mostly on the location and the good reviews. However, our stay was a bit disappointing. For one thing, the hotel staff, while helpful, seemed a bit snobby (looking you up and down) and sometimes I had the feeling I was interrupting them by asking for help. I often had a difficult time locating the valet or other staff members and when I went to the front desk the staff seemed annoyed that I was asking them instead of the valet/doorman/bellman. I don't know if they were annoyed with me or at their own staff, but it was off-putting.

I was in DC on business and a few times I dressed up, but many times I was dressed casually. I felt out of place when I did so. One time I headed downstairs to grab some breakfast from a nearby bakery and the lobby was filled with men and women in dark suits at 6:30am just milling about and talking to each other while giving me nasty glances as I spilled out of the elevator wearing sweats.

We did dine twice at the hotel's restaurant (breakfast and dinner) and once at the bar beneath. The experience was good, with a very friendly staff. Prices were perhaps too high to justify, but my expectations (as they always are at hotel restaurants) were low and they exceeded them.

The worst part of the experience happened the first day. I went off to my conference for the day and my left my travel companion in the room, which was kind of a small, quirky and oddly shaped room in the back of the hotel but which had some charm. When I returned to the hotel that evening, she said that a work crew started jackhammering outside her window! In addition, the room overlooked at alley and the trash trucks made a horrendous racket in the wee hours of the morning! I brought it to management's attention and he explained the brick outside the hotel was being repointed and he could move us. When we asked how long that would continue to wasn't sure but thought it would be a few days. Given that, we asked to be moved. He actually showed us a few available rooms in a price range higher than what we paid, although none of them overlooked the White House. However, the one we chose did overlook St. John'sl. That was kind of nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for that privilege. It wasn't like overlooking St. Patrick's in NYC (at The Palace) was, as St. John's is a very small and rather non-descript church. The new room was quiet, but to our horror the people doing the brickwork started to creep over to the front of the hotel. By the last day of our stay they were making a loud racket on our side of the hotel. We felt lucky we were checking out or we would have had to move again!

Positives: EXCELLENT Italian toiletries, staff willing to try to make things right, great location across the street from the White House

Negatives: Far too many people who are not hotel guests filling the lobby, extremely high prices, inconsistent service (from example, the valet)

I laughed when I found out Obama stayed at this hotel prior to moving in to the White House. I'm sure the penthouse suites are extremely nice and have a wonderful view, so it was fit for the President. However, for a business traveler like me it was not a good value. The room I ended up staying in would have cost about $700 per night (if not for the hotel allowing me to pay my original rate of about $450 per night for the upgraded room) and I thought even $450 would have been too much for it. The hotel has very few amenities (e.g., no pool, no parking) and always felt stuffy and cramped. There are some other luxury hotels nearby I would likely consider first before staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank dvg_loves_cali
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Loved the "small-ness" of the hotel. Very elegant. Tiny lobby. Discreet service. Beautiful and historic. The concierge was VERY helpful and answering my questions and obtaining tickets for me.
Free wi-fi.
MOSTLY, right across the street from the White House (actually, from the La Fayette Park), which made the National Mall within walkin distance. LOVED the location.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank attymom
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Staying at the Hay-Adams Hotel is an event in itself because of the historical aspects. I would have liked to have had a view (my room had a view of the alley), and a bigger bathroom (small, even for one travelor). But the touches were nice, i.e., bed turn down service in the evening, slippers by your bed on top of a little towel, and chocolates on your pillow). If I had the extra $, I would probably stay here again and get a room with a view. The service was fantastic. The only recommendation I would have is that the bed blanket had a square pattern to it, and I could feel the square pattern through the bed sheet, so it didn't make for a comfortable night sleep.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2009

Stayed here a year ago. Back then it was rated no. 1 hotel in DC, and has come down quite a few notches since. I wonder if they've 'jumped the shark' since the Obama's stay? Anyway, I would generally agree with most the reviews thus far and have very little to add. We had a superior queen room, up on level 5, looking onto a dull alleyway. I strongly agree with the reviewers about the noise level. We could easily hear the doors closing adjacent to our room at all hours. The bathroom tap came loose twice during out stay, although staff were reasonably prompt it fixing it...each time. The lobby staff were generally efficient, and always opened the door irrespective of how I was dressed.
The location was great. Most sightseeing spots were within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank aferraro
Reviewed March 29, 2009

When I logged on to write this review and saw the Hay-Adams was ranked only Number 14 among Washington, DC hotels, I was shocked! My wife and I just finished a two-night stay there and, in my never-to-be-humble opinion, it was absolutely flawless.

From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel like welcome guests in someone's home, which is exactly what the staff intends. The Hay-Adams is more like a home than a hotel, with no "reader boards" announcing someone's wedding or meeting or who-knows-what. But if you are looking for something or someone, there's always an attentive staff member nearby who -- quite honestly -- will probably ask you if they can help before you can ask them.

Virtually every time we entered or left the hotel, someone greeted us by name. And it wasnt' just the people behind the counter, who might have had the advantage of seeing our name on a computer screen. It was the host, the concierge, the doorman... GREAT service from everyone.

The hotel has an on-site restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The excellent food is also available in the Off the Record Bar downstairs, which is adorned with caricatures of the politicos of the moment as well as many from bygone eras.

Our guest room (610) was beautiful. Lovely furnishing, comfortable bed, robes and slippers waiting for us, a Bose sound system with a small selection of CDs to choose from, a flat-screen TV, and high-end Etro amenties. But its proximity to the White House makes the Hay-Adams truly unique (not a word I use lightly). Simply put, there is no other hotel that offers guest rooms with a view of this most important, impressive structure. Our room faced Lafayette Square and the White House just beyond and I know it's a view -- and a stay -- we will never forget.

But the view alone wouldn't make the Hay-Adams great; it's the attention to service and detail that does it. The people at the Hay-Adams truly understand what the word "hospitality" in the term "hospitality industry" means, and I recommend the Hay-Adams without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank TheTravelPro_us
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Just spent 4 days and 3 nights at the Hay Adams. We arrived on New Year's Day which was very quiet. We stayed in one of the "interior" rooms. I have explored staying here numerous times and always abandoned the idea due to the high cost. We were able to get an amazing deal on Expedia so decided to finally try it out. The room is very small but beautifully decorated. The hotel is quaint and a PERFECT location. It was particularly exciting since Michelle Obama and the girls moved in on Saturday. The bar is cozy. The restaurant was ok. Service was not great. The hotel staff was very helpful. I would not return at the normal rates but would always take advantage of a deal -- just not sure it is worth the standard price. Ranking is based on our deal.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family