“Do not stay here, but do attend meeting here”
Review of The Hay-Adams

Ranked #1 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is a historic hotel in a great location. The location means that the banquet rooms on the 9th floor have a great view of the White House and Washington Monuments...even a terrace to view them. I attended a meeting here and was also impressed with the service provided by the people who provided food, drinks, etc. Of course, the banquet food was uninspiring, but one can live with that. Now a reality check:

DO NOT STAY HERE. I had the opportunity to see two rooms...both filled with a moldy smell when you clicked on the air conditioning. Want creaky floor boards? This is your kind of place. And, the rooms do not in any way measure up to typical size standards for a luxury hotel...even in a crowded city like D.C. After sampling those two rooms, I was offered the chance to play room roulette and get transferred to another room again. No thanks, I said. And, I simply made a reservation at the much superior JW Marriott a few blocks away. No muss, no fuss there. And it is truly a luxury hotel.

Bottom line: If you have an opportunity to attend a meeting at this very old historic hotel, please do. It is like going to a museum in some respects. But, please let me repeat, DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank ActiveTraveler1
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear ActiveTraveler1,
We are delighted you enjoyed the view on Top of the Hay, but are very concerned about the comments regarding your stay with us.
Please accept our apologies for a less than expected room experience and moldy smell. I will follow up with the appropriate department heads for remediation.
We certainly would like to make this up to you and ask that you contact me so I can manage your next reservation to make sure you receive an appropriate and upgraded accommodation.

VP / General Manager
The Hay-Adams Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here for only one night on a business trip, and it was one of the most enjoyable stays I've ever had in a hotel.

You simply can't beat the location. The whole place has an air of history and grandeur to it, while still feeling fresh and current (many grand old hotels start feeling a bit tired). Staff are very attentive and professional.

Can't find a single fault and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the White House and higher up in the building (I was on level 6) make for a fantas...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank voirol
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was a very special, wonderful experience for us. We spent three nights, had several excellent meals there, and were not . Of note, I needed a quiet place to make a phone call on a hard line before we could check in, and ended up using their wonderfully equipped business centre for over an hour. This is a beautiful hotel, close to everything.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank RecentlyRetired2012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our stay at Hay Adams this past August was outstanding. We were in DC for a long weekend. My husband, 6 year old daughter and myself. The staff was incredibly helpful without being at all pretentious. A rare gem.

Room Tip: We chose an inside room because we wanted limited noise at night. It was a perfect choice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank venicerules
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I can not say enough wonderful things about the Hay-Adams staff. I recently got married at the hotel, and the weekend was absolutely perfect! The entire staff was gracious and went above and beyond to accommodate every request and ensure the comfort of our family and friends. It was truly amazing. The rooms are absolutely stunning, you don’t feel like you’re in a hotel! And, the catering staff—wow! Our reception was a dream come true—food was delicious, service was excellent! Alison Okobi and her team were an absolute pleasure to work with and plan our special day!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kate S
HansBrulandHA, General Manager at The Hay-Adams, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Kate S.,

Congratulations! We are thrilled you chose us to make your wedding day special. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our team – they really do go above and beyond to make our guests’ experiences memorable. I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. I hope you will contact me personally for your return to our beautiful property for your anniversary. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

VP/General Manager
hbruland@hayadams.com
202-638-6600

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Hay-Adams is grand and luxurious in everyway. I stayed here as part of a small group holding a meeting at the hotel. Was informed at check-in that I had been upgraded to a "junior suite" - lucky me! The room was large with a seperate seating area, finely furnished, clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the Bose Wave CD player provided with a selection of CD's. Nice touch. Comfortable bed. Bathroom was functional and modern. Public spaces are beautiful and reminiscent of a bye gone era of quality construction and great attention to detail. The view of the White House from the roof top is unique for DC. Front desk staff was professional and helpful. Overall I could not ask for a better experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank DineOutOften10

Dear DineOutOften10,

What a splendid review! The preservation of traditional charm and luxury is a key element in making our hotel very special. And our views truly are the best in the City! I will pass along your thoughtful comments to our team, who will be encouraged by your remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel soon.

VP/General Manager
hbruland@hayadams.com
202-638-6600

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is a "grown-up" hotel although our three children very much enjoy staying here. There is the air of privacy and security and all the staff get to know the guests very quickly. Superb service....I highly recommend a suite interconnecting with a second bedroom for families. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in DC. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012