“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

First, thanks to all the previous reviewers. Your comments truly helped me out! Second, I'm normally a fan of big chain hotels (I'd been burned in the past by not-so-up-to-par boutique hotels), so the Madera was a stretch for me. I booked it solely on the recommendations of TripAdvisor contributors who, I must admit, managed to sway me to the other side.

Visiting DC for the Thanksgiving weekend I wanted something nice. We were promptly and pleasantly greeted by a very personable and efficient person at the front desk! He highlighted the nightly wine reception and late night milk-and-cookie gathering. We JUST checked in and took advantage of the wine reception, sipping up the elevator and all the way to the room.

The room was a blessed surprise! Funky decor, clean, and great location on the floor (we got a balcony room).

Hotel is just a few short blocks away from Dupont Circle, a mall, and more importantly, the Metro! Great location! I'm a convert; THIS boutique hotel is a welcome breath of fresh air!

TIP: Join Kimpton's InTouch program which offers discounts on mini-bar goodies AND free internet access.

I love the DC area and look forward to my next visit, AND, a repeat stay at the Madera.

3 Thank LarrySF0523
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Hello LarrySF0523,

First, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad you took a leap of faith based on our other guest’s comments and reviews. That is what TripAdvisor is all about and also what we want you to be able to do. I am glad that you were not disappointed and truly enjoyed your stay. We know we’re different from chain hotels because all Kimpton hotels are unique in décor but offer the same high level of guest service with a friendly and welcoming smile. Thank you for giving us a go, and please come back and stay again soon…if you’re in another part of the company don’t forget to check out Kimpton Hotels first!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
New York
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I'm staying at the Madera over the Thanksgiving holiday, checked in yesterday. 1) Arrived 1 hour before check-in and was given a room right away. 2) This hotel's specialty is "yes". Can I have a room on the top floor? YES. Can you give me directions to 5 different places? YES. Can you print this out for me? YES. I've never had better customer service anywhere, and I've traveled extensively. The room is huge for the rate, I really like the modern art, and every single person I've interacted with has been friendly and helpful (shout out to Winfield). I walked to the White House and the Smithsonian Museums today and taking the Metro back took about 20 mins. Walked to the Kennedy Center for the Nutcracker yesterday and a cab ride back was $5.25. I will stay here again and again, and am motivated to try other Kimpton Hotels. Of note: If you are a picky perfectionist that values lack of minor room flaws (yes, there is an unidentifiable stain in the carpet and some nicks on the wooden platform bed) over personal and cheerful customer service then this isn't the place for you. But as a solo traveler, I'm thrilled.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank TamekaNikki
Hello TamekaNikki,

Thank you for visiting over Thanksgiving holiday. It is certainly a good time of year to be traveling. I am happy to hear you were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and the staff. What makes me most pleased is that everyone you interacted with was friendly and helpful. Everyone here tries their best and I know they will all be happy to hear how mush you enjoyed your stay. We do hope you’ll be back again. See you again soon!
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2009

What a nice experience, This was our first trip to Washington DC and the hotel staff was very helpful. The hotel has a warm home feeling with great value. The restaurant was locally well acclaimed and the food was first class. The Metro is close by and convenient. Checkout was fine with no surprises. Although the building is older it was well maintained and fitted with modern appliances.

1 Thank Skippermitch
Hello Skippermitch,

I am happy to hear on your first trip to Washington DC you chose to stay with us. Thank you! I am glad that you liked the hotel and the décor. You’re right we are in a great location. Thanks for staying and come back again soon!
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Recently stayed here in a King Balcony room. Hotel room had more of a loft feel. Great space and overall great service. Room rate was very well priced. Balcony view not spectacular but still welcomed. Yes bathroom is small, but vanity area isn't. The large room more than made up for it. Only minor complaint would be pillow size is too small. Large couch, desk and IPOD docking station were very nice to have. Dupont area is fantastic, with a strong european charm. Hotel bar has a nice ambiance.

1 Thank al_d555
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Hello al_d555,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your spacious room and the great service the staff provided. I know they will be happy to hear that they did a great job! I do apologize for the pillow being too small for you. I am glad that the room made up for it as did the location. Thank you again and please come back again soon!
Georgia
Reviewed November 16, 2009

My friend and I spend 7 nights here and were very pleased. The rooms were very big and comfortable, the location is perfect (close to Metro and many restuarants) and the staff is WONDERFUL. We were greeted upon arrival with smiling faces. Everyone was helpful through out our entire trip. One day we broke a pair of glasses and they helped us find an optomotrist very quickly (who happend to be only one street over). Every day when we returned to the hotel someone from the staff asked if we'd enjoyed our day. And I really believe they cared. Our only complaints are that the pillows are uncomfortable and the bathrooms are small. Other than those two things, we definately recommend this hotel. Be sure to ask for a balcony room!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgiaHarpo
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Hello GeorgiaHarpo,

Thank you for staying a week at Hotel Madera. I am glad that you and your friend were very pleased. We do have large rooms that are comfortable and conveniently located to Dupont Circle where many restaurants are located. I know that everyone at the hotel will be happy to hear they were wonderful and made such a good impression with their smiles. I do apologize that you didn’t enjoy the pillow and the bathroom was small. Having a good night’s rest is important to us and at Kimpton we’re working on an initiative and some hotel’s offer a pillow menu so that you can find the exact right one for you! Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
rhode island
Reviewed November 10, 2009

just got back from my first ever trip to dc and based on travel agents reccomendation we chose the hotel madera. very satisfied with the entire experience. staff is young and eager to please and have a great sense of humor. especially Nikki. our room was very large and was at the back of the hotel so very quiet, even slept w/the windows open a few nights. Bathroom is small but the vanity was outside so that helped. there is wine in the very small lobby between 5 and 6 and milk and cookies later as well. nice touch
Everyone we worked with was uber helpful and genuinely pleasant. Only down side is the valet parking fees w/tax $40 per day. we looked around for better parkign but it wasnt easily available. a common problem in dc i understand. we are 50 somethings and low key travelers so this worked just right for us. my husband loved the big flat screen tv and the animal prints on the pillows and bathrobes
easy walk to the sites and the metro was 1 block away
all in all a good experience and wouldnt hesitate to return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
Hello RhodeIslandLola,

Thank you for staying with us during your first trip to Washington DC. We appreciate it. I see that the Madera was recommended to you and that you were not disappointed! I know that Nikki will be pleased that she did a great job and had a sense of humor! I apologize about the small bathroom but I am happy that you enjoyed your room otherwise and took part in some of the extra perks like the cookies and bathrobes. Thank you for staying and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Kingston, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2009

For over $330 (that includes $36 overnight parking) we got a large room, a very tiny bathroom with two towels and no in-room coffee pot that is found in any other hotel I've ever stayed in. There were lots of big pillows on the bed but no duvet cover, only two sheets — one above and one below the duvet. It felt shabby and not very clean. There was a charge of $6 for 15 minutes of online usage at their "business center"—a tiny closet off the front lobby. It felt like a lot of glitz and no substance.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank runes1
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, October 26, 2009
Dear runes1,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent trip to DC and The Hotel Madera. Your feedback is both helpful to future guests and our hotel's management staff. Please accept my sincere apology for any discomfort or inconvenience caused from the bed make up and for not having a coffee pot in the room. We do offer in room coffee pots on request and serve complimentary coffee in the lobby between 6am and 9am. Our sheets are top of the line Egyptian cotton. We do not have duvet covers due to the many requests we receive for hypo allergenic blankets in place of duvets. Our duvets are placed between the sheets for added comfort. Our guest rooms are large and spacious and our vanity areas are separate from the shower and WC for added space. There is a charge for use of the business center, however, printing boarding passes is complimentary and wireless internet is also complimentary for Kimpton InTouch members. Parking charges are expensive in Washington DC and our rates are competitive with the surrounding hotels. We also offer complimentary parking for guest's with Hybrid cars. Again, we thank you for your feedback.