“Great hotel but the King bed room is small”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
White Lake, MI
“Great hotel but the King bed room is small”
Reviewed September 12, 2009

First of all, great hotel, friendly service, and its in a great locations. We booked 2 rooms, a king bed room for my husband and I, and a double queen room for my 2 young adult sons. I thought my room was nice but I was surprised when I went to see my sons room. Their room was nearly twice the size of mine and they had a balcony. And I paid $10.00 more per night for the smaller room. So my advice is to decide if you'd rather have a king bed or more room. I would definatly stay at this hotel in the future but would choose the 2 queen beds room.

• Stayed August 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed August 14, 2009

The neighborhood surrounding the Hotel Madera is lively and a lot of fun - from the folks milling about DuPont circle to the beautiful people sitting outside eating and drinking in the many nearby restaurants.

My room was large, clean, and comfortable. The small balcony was nice and offered a great view of the area including the Egyptian embassy is right across the street.

A few pluses & minuses:
(+) The front desk staff is fantastic. Very friendly and eager to please.
(-) Strangely, the valet does not appear to hang around outside much. On several occasions, I had to go inside to find someone to park my car.
(-) The bathroom is tiny!!! One has to step next to the stool in order to close the door.
(+) The Firefly lounge restaurant makes a great breakfast!
(+) The location is great if you are traveling via Metro. If you are driving - not so much. Parking is a nightmare, traffic is a pain.

Overall, I had a great stay and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank gcmanke2
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, August 27, 2009
Hello chemical_laser,

Thank you for staying with us. I see you like the neighborhood which is located right next to Dupont Circle which you rightly pointed out. I am glad that you liked the spacious room with the balcony. I know that everyone at the front desk will be pleased to hear that they made your stay enjoyable and that they were eager to please and fantastic. I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay and will be back. We are happy to accommodate you!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Stayed for 6 nights in August 09. Room surprisingly big for a city like DC. Really comfy bed, room and bathroom extremely clean. Very nice to have 42" lcd TV in the room (and our room was a moderately priced one too...). And although the hotel was busy, we never heard a noise from outside our room, which is a big plus.

Dupont Circle is a nice, safe neighbourhood, but you'll need to take a metro (2 minute walk), or a cab to visit most of the sights if you don't want to walk till you drop.

Staff at the desk were really helpful and extremely welcoming. Free coffee in the morning and wine from 5pm - 6pm were very nice touches. Free wireless internet in the room was another bonus, (having paid $12 a day for internet in New York recently...). I'd also highly recommend the Firefly restaurant attached to the hotel, we ate here twice and the food was top notch, (but not cheap).

Couldn't recommend this place highly enough, if you book it you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, August 14, 2009
Hello RMGillM,

Thanks for staying at the Madera during your trip to DC. I see that you enjoyed your room. I agree the hotel is in a nice part of the city and close to the major attractions. It is nice to hear that the staff were friendly and extremely welcoming and that you were able to enjoy the coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. Thanks for the recommendation for the Firefly as well as the hotel. Again, I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will come back again soon!
South Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We were there for 4 nights this past week. it is a great place to stay for the $$$, Close to the metro. Could use a little updating, but all in all good value. If you arrive on the weekend, it may be possible to find a place on the street to park. We were able to find one with Jeremy's assistance. He was VERY helpful BTW!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Wads,

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad you got value for your money. I am sure Jeremy will be glad to hear that he was able to help you out. He provides great guest service. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
South Africa
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for two weeks in July 2009. First off the hotel gave us an incredible deal and happily matched any price on any other website. The rooms are quite sizeable. The decor is fun and cheerful. The location is fantastic - just two blocks from Dupont CIrcle and the Metro. The hotel is surrounded by great restaurants from casual to elegant within easy and safe walking distance. The area is very lively and quite a buzz.
But the best thing about this hotel is the level of personal service and attention. It beats some 5star plus hotels we have stayed in. Staff are attentive. No problem is insoluble. There are also personal touches like free wine at happy hour.
The restauarant downstairs, The Firefly, is also great and very attentive. Some of the reviews say it is pricey. I don't think so. It is relatively speaking perhaps a bit more than the hotel, but not overpriced for for the type of restaurant it is.
We would definitely stay here again or in any other Kimpton Hotel. There is nothing chain hotel about this hotel, even though it is part of a chain

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, August 4, 2009
Hello Levenberg,

Thank you for your comments. We are all glad that you enjoyed your room and the décor of the hotel. I am glad that the thing you enjoyed best is the level of service provided. We all try to do our best to go above and beyond whenever and wherever possible. Thank you for staying and please come back and stay again!
London, UK
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Was in DC for a conference and then one day's sightseeing. Booked hotel via hotels.com and got a great deal on the long stay (6 nights). Room was spacious and staff were helpful as partner had booked on his credit card but wasn't coming until later but sorted very quickly. Loved the neighbourhood (Dupont Circle) and caught tail end of gay pride parade, lots of book shops and independent shops. Walkable into town but metro 2 mins away and very easy to use. Free wine and cookies in evening which I managed to miss out on most of the time but nice touch. Also welcomes pets and puts sign up welcoming them which I thought was cute. Bar and restaurant were always busy and tried bar one night and was okay (nothing special). Would stay again and/or try other Kimpton properties such as Hotel Rouge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Hello Pinklibrarian,

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Washington DC for a conference. I am glad that you liked your room and thought the staff was very friendly. I am glad you appreciate the wine hour and evening milk and cookies, even though you missed it most of the time. It is a great way to mingle with other guests and also meet the furry companions we have at the hotel. You are right we are very pet friendly. Thanks for staying and wanting to come back. Hopefully we will see you again soon!
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Our family of four stayed at the Madera during the 4th of July weekend and really liked it. Here's a summary of our experience.

Check-in was a breeze. We had prepaid for the room through hotels.com, and all of our paperwork was ready and accurate when we arrived. I always worry that there is going to be a glitch between the hotel and the third party, but everything was handled flawlessly.

We had a two-queen balcony room on the 7th floor (there are 10 floors), and it was very modern, clean, and quiet. I think the entire hotel is non-smoking. In any event, there was no trace of tobacco odor at all in our room, or anywhere on the property. The beds were comfortable and had plenty of pillows. The air conditioning worked great. There was plenty of room for everyone to spread out and relax. The in-room WiFi was good, but the free version wasn't very fast. They do give you an option to pay a small amount per day to get full speed access, though. The free speed worked fine for my needs (checking email, looking up subway information, etc.). On that topic, there was a safe in the room that had plenty of room for me to lock up my laptop when we were out and about.

Housekeeping was quick and thorough. Everything always seemed very clean and well organized when we got back to the room. We never left the room before 10:00 AM, and they never bothered us when we had the "Privacy Please" sign displayed.

Now for the less-than-perfect aspects of our stay:
-- As many people have mentioned, the shower/toilet room was indeed small, but it's fine if you're not extremely overweight. It was actually nice having the sink and vanity in its own separate area just outside that room. The shower was excellent--plenty of hot water and plenty of pressure. Actually, the water was way TOO hot, even to the point of being scalding if you aren't careful. If you've got young kids, you better supervise their visits to the sink.

-- The showers have body wash and shampoo and conditioner dispensers attached to the wall, which was kind of surprising for a semi-upscale hotel. I guess they do it that way for environmental reasons. I'd personally rather have a bar of soap in the shower, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The fans of body wash will obviously consider this a plus.

-- Another minor inconvenience was the lack of a refrigerator in the room, but we knew about that before we made the reservation. Fortunately, there are multiple CVS stores (including a 24-hour one) within a couple of blocks, so it was easy to get cold drinks and snacks whenever we wanted to.

-- There are only two elevators, and they are small too. Four or five people is about all that will fit in one car. However, they run pretty well because we never had to wait more than a minute (literally) for an elevator at any time during our stay.

Incidental stuff:
-- There is an expensive restaurant on the first floor (Firefly), but we didn't go there, so I can't comment on it. We lean toward pizza and sandwiches while we're on vacation, and there were plenty of those options within easy walking distance. We didn't eat at any of the fancy restaurants in the neighborhood, so I can't comment on them either.

-- The Dupont Circle neighborhood itself, which is largely residential, is very quiet and we always felt extremely safe, even late at night. It's on the outskirts of the George Washington University campus, so you'll see lots of college kids roaming around. If you're easily offended by a high population of gays and lesbians, you might want to think twice about staying in this neighborhood. I personally don't care about that, but I'm just warning those who might be bothered by it.

-- As for public transportation, the Metro subway station is an easy two-block walk, as are several bus stops. It took us about 10-15 minutes (including waiting time) to get to the Smithsonian Metro station on the edge of the National Mall. It's probably too far for most people to walk to the Mall (about 2 - 3 miles), so it was nice to have the subway so close to the hotel.

Despite the few shortcomings, we all thought this was an outstanding hotel, especially for the rate we got. If we ever go back to DC, it will definitely be at the top of our list of options.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family