“Breakfast was how much??”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #55 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We were able to utilized their “romance” package, which including an upgrade to a balcony room, valet parking, breakfast (room service), champagne, late check out (3 pm) and Hershey’s kisses. The hotel is located in a pretty residential area with tons of interesting shops, like the Red Onion, a second hand music and book store. The room was large, we had a comfortable king sized bed, sofa, ottoman, desk, 2 chairs and an HD TV. Bathroom was really tiny but clean. We were on the 3rd floor, so we heard noise from people entering & leaving the restaurant but the hallways & floor above us
were very quiet. My husband is an exterminator and since there has been an outbreak of bed bugs, he checked every surface. I’m happy to report, he didn’t see any bug evidence. The lobby is tiny but everyone was attentive and we always had help when needed. You have to call for your car 10/15 minutes ahead of time I liked the wine served at cocktail hour. Oreo cookies and milk are available in the lobby after 10 pm and was a sweet way to end the night.
A few things that prevent us from giving the hotel an A are:
1 – We ordered room service for breakfast, 2 orders of eggs with bacon, homefries and coffee. That’s all we received, no butter/jelly for toast, no milk/cream for coffee or salt & pepper. We received the “extra “ items within 8 minutes of calling the lobby. Breakfast was included in our package but we were given a bill for $44.00 (FOR BREAKFAST), which was not worth it, extremely overpriced.
2 – We received a bill in the morning that had one price, when we checked out the bill was different. Of course, we were charged for the overpriced breakfast TWICE. Not a big deal once the error was explained but it took 10 minutes and two people to credit the $ back.
3 – The hallway on the 3rd floor has a slight sour smell, like a pipe connected to the bathroom had a leak.
4 - Our car was left in the front of the hotel for about an hour, again not a big deal but since you have to pay over $ 30.00 for parking it should be taken care of fairly quickly.
Overall, we had a relaxing, comfortable stay and we would return but would not order room service. We’ll go back to Five Guys for awesome burgers about a 5-minute walk away.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2009

Dear Adatrip,

Thank you for reviewing The Hotel Madera, Washington DC on Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor room service experience you encountered. Although we were having some computer problems with the ordering and billing of room service during that morning, the correction should have been taken care of immediately. I have addressed this with the staff. The odor that was on the 3rd floor was a pipe related incident that has now been repaired. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Madera and Washington DC.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed February 22, 2009

Right near a major metro stop. My room was a King deluxe room. Had stains on the pillowcases and comforters. Reported it to housekeeping and they fixed it that day. Yeah, the bathrooms are very small. But, the shower head was incredible and easy to adjust. The desk was right next to the bed, so I could put the computer on it and see while sitting on the very soft bed. The free wine hour was really nice. After a long day of working and seeing some sites. It did help in winding down to sleep. The free milk and cookies at 10:30pm is a nice touch. I was asleep before this time most of visit. Wish it was a little bit earlier. The restaraunt Firefly is very nice. I would recommend the french toast for breakfast. It was Very, very good. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They always greeted me with a smile even when I could not manage one. One big plus is the free WIFI. Would also recommend the Baja Fresh restaurant one street over. Very good tacos. Also after your first purchase you get a coupon for $2.00 off your next purchase. I got this every time I went.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2009

Hello Sarah25

Thank you for your comments about the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to offer valuable feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to make use of some of the more unique hotel offerings such as wine hour. I am also happy that the staff made such a positive impression on you. Thank you for staying and please come back and visit again soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2009

Could it be that our stay was different from the average for this hotel? Toilet clogged first night, loose bath and sink handles, elevator noises disturbing in what was described as "soundproof" rooms, no coffee in rooms but in inconvenient, crowded, tiny "lobby". Lovely room appearance, quick help with problems, but expected much more from a Kimpton hotel based on past experience around US.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
GMMadera, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2009

Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for review. I apologize sincerely for the problems that you experience during your visit. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel directly so that we may update your personal profile with preferences such as a coffee maker in the room, a larger layout and away from the elevator. Thank you again and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hotel Madera in the near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2009

We had a great one night stay at Hotel Madera. We stayed in a King Deluxe on the 9th floor. We had a quiet night without any hallway or room noise from other guests at any time. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. Some may find the bathroom too small for their tastes, but I didn't mind. It was clean with the shower having good water pressure and temperature. The shower head was easily adjusted, which I liked as well. The complimentary wine hour was a nice way to relax after our arrival. And the cookies and milk were a nice treat upon returning to the hotel in the evening. All of the hotel staff members we encountered were very friendly and helpful.

We weren't planning on eating at Firefly, but upon seeing the menu, decided to eat dinner there. We enjoyed our meal and were glad to have tried it.

I would definitely stay here again. It's great value for the money and very close to the Metro - a great home base for exploring DC.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LunaFigNewton
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2009

Hello LunaFigNewton,

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Washington DC. I am glad you got a restful night of sleep and enjoyed a shower in the morning. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come again soon!

Reviewed February 10, 2009

Hotel Madera is definitely a very nice choice for staying in DC. Very conveniently located, it has a good restaurant and very nicely decorated large rooms. There is no hall or large shared spaces but this should not influence the overall judgement unless specifically required from the guest. I enjoyed the warm atmosphere and the personal touch of the venue.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Hi Baol1969,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 4, 2009

A welcome oasis after a hard days work I pilled some long days and when I got back to the hotel I just enjoyed the room and slept It was very comfortable and refreshing

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business

Hello Zoomie1959,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving your comments. We are all happy that you enjoyed your stay and please do come again soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2009

I loved the hotel. It is quite classy. I did not like the view of the parking lot outside my window but the accomodations were still excellent. I stayed here the weekend I met my partner.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Hi FiremanSteve48,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back again soon, perhaps on your anniversary!