“Chic, Comfortable, Great Find in DC”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #55 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Chic, Comfortable, Great Find in DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at The Madera hotel for one night during the Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend. Even before we arrived, I had a wonderful experience with their hotel. I called a few days before our trip to make sure that we can check in early and also ask if there were any relief stations for our dog. The front desk was very knowledge able to my questions and was very pleasant. My satisfaction with this hotel cannot be overstated, I will indeed make this one of my favorite hotels in DC and will stay here if I have to head back. Here is a breakdown of my review.

Pet Accommodations

This is a very pet-friendly hotel, we saw many guests with dogs and we felt very comfortable having a dog with us. We didn’t see any “oopsies” outside the hotel or inside, all pet owners cleaned up after their pets which adds to the feeling of mutual respect for guests and hotel staff. The hotel offers a pet bed and bowls for dogs in the rooms. Unlike other hotels, The Madera and other Kimpton Hotels in the area do not charge a pet fee. If you need to bring your dog, please consider The Madera as staff and guests are friendly to all furry travelers.

The Room
Don’t be fooled by the outside appearance and the hallways of this hotel. The rooms look very modern and offer comfort to both business and pleasure seeking travelers. The room we stayed in was good for two people, it had enough room for dog, two adults, and their luggage. The bathroom is a little small and the sink and vanity is separate. However, I feel that this is just how most hotels in DC are and I find it convenient if one person is in the shower and the other person is using the mirror. The rooms are clean and provide more than enough storage space. There is a mini fridge in the room and it is not touch sensitive which is great if you want to bring our own refreshments.

The Lobby
The hotel has a very small lobby and meeting space. It may come as a shock to travelers who are used to large lobbies. However, despite the small area it is still very chic and it does have the very basic needs for an incoming traveler (couch, complimentary water, chairs). Despite the small size, guests still come for the complimentary wine hour. This is a great time to meet with other guests. We had the opportunity to speak with a local couple who provided us with great advice for getting around the city.

The Staff
A great hotel can have all the modern looks and comforts of a luxurious haven but it won’t be worth anything if it doesn't have the staff to make it so. The Madera’s staff was absolutely wonderful and every hotel should take notes on how they interact with guests. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, every single staff member that we encountered offered us red carpet treatment.

The Location
The Madera is close to Dupont Circle and you can board the Red Line to many of the popular sights. However, the Red Line was not operating that weekend which prompted us to make changes to how we travel around the city. There are some pretty good eateries close to The Madera. The hotel has a restaurant that is attached to them called “Firefly”, we didn’t eat there but could smell their mouthwatering dishes from the lobby. You can certainly walk to other eateries near Dupont Circle like Pizzeria Paradiso (great pizza, check them out!).

The Cons
It was very difficult to find something wrong with this hotel. The only suggestion I have would be for them to have more visible parking space. However, this really falls out of their control and its really up to DC’s local government. If you drive to DC please know that it may be a little stressful as DC roads in the area are going through construction and parking anywhere in the city is expensive.

Summary
This hotel is great, I've staying in two other hotels in DC during my travels there and I can say that this has been the best one I have ever stayed in. Their great staff, comfortable rooms, location, pet friendly policy, and their hosted wine hour makes The Madera a great place to stay in DC. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oakcityandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

The customer service was excellent. The room was spacious, clean and gorgeous. Location was great. I will definately stay at this hotel again! Nicole at the front desk sooooooo nice. The Muse in NYC used to be my favorite Kimpton...not anymore!

Room Tip: balcony rrom is worth the difference in price
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tinkerbellhuggins
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I am already a fan of Kimpton hotels, but my stay at Madera was extra special. The room was very comfortable, nicely decorated, and very quiet. Everyone on staff was friendly and genuinely helpful. From the excellent dining to the loaner umbrella in the room, there is clearly attention to detail at Madera. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Julie S
Occoquan, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Well, the outside of the hotel was plain, and the check-in and lobby were almost non-existent, but the room was large and nicely decorated. We even had a balcony view out on New Hampshire Ave so we could observe the weekend activity. My only two complaints would be:
1. the extremely small, closet-like bathroom.
2. that I spent over $50 for valet service and the car came back with scratches and dings
Wife enjoyed the room and location, so we might visit again.
This is not a 5-star hotel by any stretch of the imagination, but in my visits with other "boutique" hotels around the world, I would give this a "3 out of 5."

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Walkintall26
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

The rooms were suprisingly big. Stayed in a fit room and the room was well laid out and clean. The staff was very friendly and parking was available on the street for a certain time and then had to put it in the lot. Definitely will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt F
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stated at this hotel three times over a 45 day period. The service here rivals the service at The George. The rooms were very spacious which was perfect since we had our two rather large dogs traveling with us. The rooms were set with beds and bowls for the dogs in every visit. Great value, comfortable rooms and friendly and attentive staff.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Michael G
Middletown, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

If you like boutique hotels, this is a wonderful place to stay.

Accommodations: The king room was absolutely huge. Living area, workspace, large flatscreen TV, large balcony and the decor was hip. Colorful 70s hippy vibe meets mod.

Service: Check in was a breeze, check out was a breeze. I was concerned about catching a taxi for my meeting and the front desk person ran down the street trying to hail me a cab. He worked at it a solid five minutes. Much appreciated.

Food: I had breakfast at the Firefly and it was delicious. The space is rustic and even has a knobby tree right smack in the middle of the room. Service there was awesome.

The location is in the heart of Dupont, so plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping nearby. Great place!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business