“Wish I had stayed at a different hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #56 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Wish I had stayed at a different hotel”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

For my first-ever experience at a Kimpton hotel, selected the Madera and stayed for three nights over a long weekend. Cannot say I will ever opt for a Kimpton hotel again. The hotel sits on a narrow lot and, as a result, the interior layout is awkward. There is no real lobby and no bellhop or doorman. I expected a boutique hotel with an interesting, modern design. Not to be. The receptionist's stand is tiny and there is little space in which to wait when there is a line. No vibe. The hallways were staid, brightly lit, and traditional. The hallways and rooms are adorned with "popcorn" (i.e., cheap) ceilings. The closet "door" consisted of an ugly, heavy, shower-type rubber curtain, the room was nothing special (and not particularly clean), and the bathroom was so small you could barely close the door while inside of it. It had one hook for wet towels. My view, through tattered window treatments, was of the hotel's garbage dumpsters.

I used the gym at the nearby and much larger Kimpton Palomar Hotel, and I think I would have been much happier there.

On the plus side, the Firefly breakfast (discounted via a booking special) was fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NYorker13
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hello NYer13, I am so sorry we disappointed you on your visit with teh design of the Hotel. Yes we are definately a smaller hotel. The small size allows us to truly wow our guests with great service which many tripadvisor reviews comment on. I am definately sorry but perhaps you may enjoy our Hotel Palomar or Hotel Monaco here in DC. Much larger buildings that are beautifully and uniquely designed. Thanks so much for the feedback, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Spent a Saturday-Monday weekend in DC for a wedding. Most attendees were from out of town and stayed here on a great rate. The welcome mat was definitely out for us here, especially for the pet-owners at this pet-friendly hotel. Small lobby and front desk, big hospitality. Nicole was very welcoming, as our three rooms piled in at once after some touring. Check in was quick and friendly. Rooms were large and furnished well; it has been noted in previous reviews that the bathroom holds the commode and tub and is quite small. TONS of hot water! No waiting. Room was immaculate. Service top-flight; all requests fulfilled promptly. Big team effort dealing with large influx of cars. Nice neighborhood, convenient food.

Room Tip: Like in all better areas of DC, lotsa construction around and they start at 7:00am.
Green Features: Par for the course. The usual save your towel for another day. They DO NOT use liners for the pails, reducing use of plastic, and the pails were immaculate.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello caddiedaddy, Sounds like you couldnt have written a better review for us! Thank you so much!! We definately do try to roll out the welcome mat for all of our guests. I agree that Nicole is a dream at the front desk. Please visit us again soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
omaha, ne
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Lovely boutique hotel in DuPont circle neighborhood. It is tucked in a quiet neighborhood with anything you could need within a few short blocks. We loved the location as it was a very short walk to our sons home. We only wished we could have spent more time there and could have enjoyed the wine time. Our room was lovely -clean -and even had a balcony. What we really love about Kimpton hotels above all is the warmth of their staff-they actually make you feel welcome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank libbie5
Hello libbie5, thanks for the lovely review. I only wish you coouldve spent more time as well at the Madera. On your next visit lets make sure that happens. Thansk again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The primary goal of my recent trip to Washington DC was to visit a family friend, so the location of our accomodations was the most important factor when we were searching for a hotel. Madera was about a mile from my friend's apartment and I have had positive experiences at Kimpton hotels in the past, so it was a natural choice.

The room was nicely appointed, however we were in the back of the hotel, overlooking an alley and right next to the ice machine closet. Next time, I would certainly try to get a better room location.

As other reviews have mentioned, the lobby of the hotel is tiny and can get crowded easily. This became a little troublesome for us, since we were traveling with an infant and had to manuever a stroller through the space very time we came and went. This was especially challenging during the wine happy hour.

Additionally, there are 4-5 steps to get from the lobby to the elevators, so the stroller had to be lifted up and down these stairs. Luckily I was not traveling alone and had a helper for this task.

The two small concerns I had were this:
1) Upon reserving the room and at check in, I requested a pack & play for the baby. However, when we returned to our room after dinner on our first night in town, the p&p still hadn't been delivered. I do feel like having to ask for something 3 times can be a bit of a hassle.
2) When ordering room service for dinner one evening, we ordered 2 entrees, which arrived in a timely fashion, but only had 1 set of silverware. It took about 15 minutes to get the 2nd set of silverware delivered (by which point we had just started sharing a fork). Again, this is not a major hassle, but it does seem out of alignment with what one would expect from a Kimpton property.

Overall, the location of this hotel could not be beat and I would book it again for a future visit to DC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ktyg
Dear ktyg, thanks for posting the review of your visit to the Madera. We are so glad the location worked well for you. But I do apologize for the minor inconveniences you mentioned. We will certainly get right on those so they never happen to you or other guests in the future. Thanks again and visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I wanted to find a hotel located mid-way between work and play, that would be warm and comfortable. The Madera was it! About a fifteen-minute walk to Foggy Bottom, less than that to Dupont Circle (neighborhoods as well as Metro stops). The room had a balcony, nice linens, cool interior decorating.

The staff really added to the stay; it's nice to be sent off to work, and later welcomed "home," with a smile. One day I over-scheduled so it was too far to walk to where I needed to be, but a taxi seemed like a waste of money--loaner bike and helmet to the rescue! Kimpton does a good job with the little touches; this property excels at the model.

Green Features: Standard bed/bath linen request to hang up what you don't want replaced, drop on the floor what you do. There were recycling bins in the room, which was a nice touch. The free-to-borrow bicycle might be the best pro-environment feature.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hello Carmela C, thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review of your visit!! Hopefully during your visit there was more play than work! Glad you had the opprotunity to use one of our bikes. So fun!! Thanks so much and please see us again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It's hard to dislike any Kimpton property, much less the personality-filled boutique locations scattered across DC. We really enjoyed this one. This was our first stay at the Madera, SW of Dupont Circle, and it was both a great stay (an overnight "local" getaway) and a great location.

I won't go over the usual Kimpton perks-- reviews and the Madera website cover them sufficiently. Suffice it to say that Kimptons give you a lot more freebies than other hotels, and do it more charmingly. For example, we missed the hosted wine hour (checked in too late), but the check-in person gave us vouchers to get glasses of the house wine from Firefly restaurant instead. Classy!

Ongoing street construction added a block to our walk from the southern Dupont Metro exit, but it's still very close. On the holiday weekend we were there, the construction site was empty, the city was quiet, and there was pretty much no road noise.

Dupont is a great area to stay, with a variety of restaurants, bars, and clubs in immediate proximity. It's generally safe and clean, though like all big cities, there's a few panhandlers or homeless, and the clubs/bars disgorge drunk patrons at closing time-- but this spot is away from the main drag, so you mostly only see the drunk patrons who live in the vicinity.

The National Mall is an acceptable walk if you want a long stroll, or a short taxi ride to the south.

Our balcony room had a great view out of the surrounding residential streets (with at least one embassy visible).

The attached Firefly restaurant and bar is very appealing, though it was closed on Labor Day Monday, so we only got to have drinks there the night before

Any of the DC-area Kimptons are great. Stay here for a casual, high-quality boutique stay. You won't regret it!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Omar S
Dear omarsidd, your first vist and hopefully not your last! What a wonderful review!! Our location cant be beat if you want Dupont Circle without being on the main strip. Please come back soon for another getaway, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I blindly picked the Madera Hotel and could not be more pleased. The moment I check in I received amazing service.. Some posts complained about the small lobby or check in desk. Who cares!! The smiles and efficiency took care of that. Aaron took care of me from the start as well all of the friendly staff. The room was huge and stylist. A post said the bathroom was to small.... To small for what? I def serves its purpose and you can def fit you and a friend in the shower so it is not that small. The wine hour rocks and is unique. Its location gives you the best of both worlds. You can have the peace and quiet or your just a few stops on the easy Metro from the center of it all. One of the highlights was the Madera had bicycles and I rode down with a friend to see the Monuments at night---truly a magical experience. Dupont Circle is full of great places to eat and the Staff's picks were on spot...This was the first time I have ever traveled alone and I will def come back to the Madera to stay the next time I am in DC... Working for two of the most customer oriented retailers in the US. I can def stay that I received a Saks/Nordstrom customer service experience at the Madera... Thank you for an amazing experience .... PK

Green Features: This hotel is very green and offers yoga mats for all....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hello Peter K, WOW!!! Thanks so much for the grea tfeedback!! It was our pleasure making your MAdera and DC visit a special one! The bikes are a really great way to see the city! I am thrilled you received such warm service from our Team. Please visit again soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager