“Overall a nice place, a few small areas for improvement”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #55 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, WI
“Overall a nice place, a few small areas for improvement”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The primary goal of my recent trip to Washington DC was to visit a family friend, so the location of our accomodations was the most important factor when we were searching for a hotel. Madera was about a mile from my friend's apartment and I have had positive experiences at Kimpton hotels in the past, so it was a natural choice.

The room was nicely appointed, however we were in the back of the hotel, overlooking an alley and right next to the ice machine closet. Next time, I would certainly try to get a better room location.

As other reviews have mentioned, the lobby of the hotel is tiny and can get crowded easily. This became a little troublesome for us, since we were traveling with an infant and had to manuever a stroller through the space very time we came and went. This was especially challenging during the wine happy hour.

Additionally, there are 4-5 steps to get from the lobby to the elevators, so the stroller had to be lifted up and down these stairs. Luckily I was not traveling alone and had a helper for this task.

The two small concerns I had were this:
1) Upon reserving the room and at check in, I requested a pack & play for the baby. However, when we returned to our room after dinner on our first night in town, the p&p still hadn't been delivered. I do feel like having to ask for something 3 times can be a bit of a hassle.
2) When ordering room service for dinner one evening, we ordered 2 entrees, which arrived in a timely fashion, but only had 1 set of silverware. It took about 15 minutes to get the 2nd set of silverware delivered (by which point we had just started sharing a fork). Again, this is not a major hassle, but it does seem out of alignment with what one would expect from a Kimpton property.

Overall, the location of this hotel could not be beat and I would book it again for a future visit to DC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ktyg
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear ktyg, thanks for posting the review of your visit to the Madera. We are so glad the location worked well for you. But I do apologize for the minor inconveniences you mentioned. We will certainly get right on those so they never happen to you or other guests in the future. Thanks again and visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I wanted to find a hotel located mid-way between work and play, that would be warm and comfortable. The Madera was it! About a fifteen-minute walk to Foggy Bottom, less than that to Dupont Circle (neighborhoods as well as Metro stops). The room had a balcony, nice linens, cool interior decorating.

The staff really added to the stay; it's nice to be sent off to work, and later welcomed "home," with a smile. One day I over-scheduled so it was too far to walk to where I needed to be, but a taxi seemed like a waste of money--loaner bike and helmet to the rescue! Kimpton does a good job with the little touches; this property excels at the model.

Green Features: Standard bed/bath linen request to hang up what you don't want replaced, drop on the floor what you do. There were recycling bins in the room, which was a nice touch. The free-to-borrow bicycle might be the best pro-environment feature.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hello Carmela C, thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review of your visit!! Hopefully during your visit there was more play than work! Glad you had the opprotunity to use one of our bikes. So fun!! Thanks so much and please see us again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It's hard to dislike any Kimpton property, much less the personality-filled boutique locations scattered across DC. We really enjoyed this one. This was our first stay at the Madera, SW of Dupont Circle, and it was both a great stay (an overnight "local" getaway) and a great location.

I won't go over the usual Kimpton perks-- reviews and the Madera website cover them sufficiently. Suffice it to say that Kimptons give you a lot more freebies than other hotels, and do it more charmingly. For example, we missed the hosted wine hour (checked in too late), but the check-in person gave us vouchers to get glasses of the house wine from Firefly restaurant instead. Classy!

Ongoing street construction added a block to our walk from the southern Dupont Metro exit, but it's still very close. On the holiday weekend we were there, the construction site was empty, the city was quiet, and there was pretty much no road noise.

Dupont is a great area to stay, with a variety of restaurants, bars, and clubs in immediate proximity. It's generally safe and clean, though like all big cities, there's a few panhandlers or homeless, and the clubs/bars disgorge drunk patrons at closing time-- but this spot is away from the main drag, so you mostly only see the drunk patrons who live in the vicinity.

The National Mall is an acceptable walk if you want a long stroll, or a short taxi ride to the south.

Our balcony room had a great view out of the surrounding residential streets (with at least one embassy visible).

The attached Firefly restaurant and bar is very appealing, though it was closed on Labor Day Monday, so we only got to have drinks there the night before

Any of the DC-area Kimptons are great. Stay here for a casual, high-quality boutique stay. You won't regret it!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Omar S
Dear omarsidd, your first vist and hopefully not your last! What a wonderful review!! Our location cant be beat if you want Dupont Circle without being on the main strip. Please come back soon for another getaway, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I blindly picked the Madera Hotel and could not be more pleased. The moment I check in I received amazing service.. Some posts complained about the small lobby or check in desk. Who cares!! The smiles and efficiency took care of that. Aaron took care of me from the start as well all of the friendly staff. The room was huge and stylist. A post said the bathroom was to small.... To small for what? I def serves its purpose and you can def fit you and a friend in the shower so it is not that small. The wine hour rocks and is unique. Its location gives you the best of both worlds. You can have the peace and quiet or your just a few stops on the easy Metro from the center of it all. One of the highlights was the Madera had bicycles and I rode down with a friend to see the Monuments at night---truly a magical experience. Dupont Circle is full of great places to eat and the Staff's picks were on spot...This was the first time I have ever traveled alone and I will def come back to the Madera to stay the next time I am in DC... Working for two of the most customer oriented retailers in the US. I can def stay that I received a Saks/Nordstrom customer service experience at the Madera... Thank you for an amazing experience .... PK

Green Features: This hotel is very green and offers yoga mats for all....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hello Peter K, WOW!!! Thanks so much for the grea tfeedback!! It was our pleasure making your MAdera and DC visit a special one! The bikes are a really great way to see the city! I am thrilled you received such warm service from our Team. Please visit again soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We got to the hotel on Friday afternoon at 2pm, unfortunately our room was not ready, but they did hold our luggage for us. The room was ready right around 3pm, which is check in time. We did book through a third party and were told we book through a third party several times. Not exactly sure why it was even mentioned.

The staff was nice, the room was nice, the location was good. I really had high hopes after all of the reviews that I read that we were going to be staying at a top-notch place. And although I have no specific compliants, all I can say is everything was "nice or good". Would I stay here again, I wouldn't search this place out and I would definitely look at staying at other hotels, but I wouldn't avoid this hotel either. It was "nice".

1 Thank Cindy146
Cindy146, thanks for the review. I am sorry we didnt "wow" you with our service and hotel. We always strive to exceed our Guests high standards. We never want to just meet them. Hopefully you will return soon so we can WOW you! Thanks, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Plano, Texas
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We really enjoyed our all to brief stay at the Madera. Being a Kimpton Hotel, we had a certain expectation in mind and the hotel met or exceed all of them. First and foremost, we encountered a very friendly and helpful staff. They made the stay. Large, comfortable and quirky room. We had a yoga nook! If you are into yoga, ask for room 306. :) I think coffee is available in room if you ask. We partook of the coffee in the lobby each morning and they do have good coffee. Wine social had good wines and we met a few of our fellow guests.

Great location right by DuPont Circle and very near the metro. Plenty of late night bars to enjoy (including St Arnolds - great mussels).
Sunday farmers market very near by.
Small nook in lobby with computer to print boarding passes, tickets, etc.

Room Tip: Room 306 has a yoga nook.
1 Thank KarlFS
KarlFS, the yoda nook in your room is great isn't it? Great little area to workout and get reaady for the morning! Thanks so much for the review! Please return to DC soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We got this hotel for a great price using jetsetter and was excited to go as we have recently become big fans of the Kimpton properties (we don't usually like chains)
I'd read that this was a converted apartment building and heard some mixed reviews about the rooms so I wasn't expecting too much. We ended up loving our room even though it was random and quirky ( we had a mirrored nook complete with yoga mat). Our bathroom was big (I think we had the handicapped room?) and the bed was very comfy.
Both nights I was awakened by a crying baby but I'm not marking the hotel down for this as the rooms seemed pretty well insulated. The sound was muffled, but because the parents let the baby cry it disturbed us..not because the walls were too thin.
Staff were lovely...they have a wine social which was very nice. The lobby is tiny, barely a lobby really but it was super fun to jam in there and drink wine with other customers
The hotel restaurant was super cute looking (firefly). We didn't eat here but did have a French press coffee on our last day and the waitress was adorable and treated us like royalty even though we were just ordering coffee and had just checked out
The location is fabulous...right by DuPont circle and near plenty of restaurants and bars but tucked in a quiet street so no late night noise
For those visiting I HAVE to recommend a nearby dive bar called st Arnold's on Jefferson....if you love moules et frites be sure to try it here (best I've had in USA)
Also on Sunday there is a farmers market right by the DuPont circle metro stop.
This is a very unique hotel and not like a chain. There was no gym or pool (though I heard someone being told they could use the gym at the nearby palomar)
It feels very friendly and intimate. Two thumbs up

Room Tip: Be sure to explore the area...it's great Farmers market nearby on a Sunday is worth catching
1 Thank Britgirl_dallas_72
Hello Britgirl_dallas_72, wow we are so excited your visit was lovely. I am glad we were able to fulfill all of your service and comfort needs! Next time you have to eat in our Firelfy Restaurant!! Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review! See you soon, Modi Ahmed