The primary goal of my recent trip to Washington DC was to visit a family friend, so the location of our accomodations was the most important factor when we were searching for a hotel. Madera was about a mile from my friend's apartment and I have had positive experiences at Kimpton hotels in the past, so it was a natural choice.
The room was nicely appointed, however we were in the back of the hotel, overlooking an alley and right next to the ice machine closet. Next time, I would certainly try to get a better room location.
As other reviews have mentioned, the lobby of the hotel is tiny and can get crowded easily. This became a little troublesome for us, since we were traveling with an infant and had to manuever a stroller through the space very time we came and went. This was especially challenging during the wine happy hour.
Additionally, there are 4-5 steps to get from the lobby to the elevators, so the stroller had to be lifted up and down these stairs. Luckily I was not traveling alone and had a helper for this task.
The two small concerns I had were this:
1) Upon reserving the room and at check in, I requested a pack & play for the baby. However, when we returned to our room after dinner on our first night in town, the p&p still hadn't been delivered. I do feel like having to ask for something 3 times can be a bit of a hassle.
2) When ordering room service for dinner one evening, we ordered 2 entrees, which arrived in a timely fashion, but only had 1 set of silverware. It took about 15 minutes to get the 2nd set of silverware delivered (by which point we had just started sharing a fork). Again, this is not a major hassle, but it does seem out of alignment with what one would expect from a Kimpton property.
Overall, the location of this hotel could not be beat and I would book it again for a future visit to DC.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kimpton Hotel Madera is an intimate, elegant boutique hotel nestled in Washington DC's historic and fashionable Dupont Circle neighborhood. Within walking distance of the White House, Georgetown and the city's monuments and museums, this Kimpton Hotel offers personalized service, luxurious amenities and an atmosphere of refined sophistication. The guestrooms are stylishly tranquil, and the gracious and knowledgeable staff genuinely pampers. Conveniently adjacent is the notable Firefly Bistro featuring contemporary American comfort food and a seasonal menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Kimpton Hotel Madera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton Washington Dc
- Hotel Madera Kimpton