“Loved the atomsphere”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #60 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We came to DC for a funeral and booked our stay at the Madera. We came from Indiana and so the drive was long and we didn't arrive to around 10pm. The gentleman at the desk was quite pleasant and answered any questions that we had. The trip was not for pleasure and to add insult to our circumstances our car was broken into while at the church funeral.

So.... it was a comfort to be able to come back to a hotel that was clean, quiet and a staff very attentive to our needs. We did not get to enjoy going to the restaurant the "Firefly". But we did admire our room that was tastefully decorated a full minibar and a king-sized bed that was quite comfortable.

The only thing that was not expected was the expensive parking but I could tell that parking was an issue for the city itself. Would I stay at this hotel again of course. But, coming back to DC well that is a different story. I am thinking about looking to see if this type or chain of hotels is somewhere else on one of our travels.
Thank you for making a stressful trip bearable.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2008

Hello kse1964edge.

Thank you for staying with Hotel Madera during your recent trip to Washington DC. If only it could have been under more pleasant circumstances and it saddens me to hear you also had your car broken into. However, it pleases me that the staff did all they could to make you feel comfortable. I am glad that you have had a positive experience with Kimpton Hotels. I hope that you can visit us again. For a full listing of hotels please visit us online. In addition, Hotel Madera's story is Consciously Living and with that we are able to offer complimentary parking for hybrid cars, and we also offer packages where parking is complimentary.

Again, thank you for staying and I hope your return journey was not too much trouble.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Madera

Reviewed June 16, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Madera this past weekend while escaping to DC for our first trip without the kids in this millennium. We had a great stay at the Madera. It's location is very convenient to all of the happenings in Dupont Circle and not a bad walk to all of the major monuments and museums.

The service at the Madera was excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and very clean. We arrived early and had no problems checking in. Although I did call them the day before and mention that we may arrive before the 3pm check-in time. Check out was at noon, which was great because it gave us a chance to eat a later brunch and take out time packing. Since we didn't have to leave the area until 2ish, they held our bags for us after we checked out so that we could continue to explore the city as though we were still on vacation and not be stuck sitting in the lobby until we needed to depart.

On Saturday night, after dinner at a Thai restaurant recommended by the lobby clerk, we had a late-night snack and desert at the restaurant in the hotel (the Firefly). The cheese plate was one of the better ones we've had, and we have cheese plates just about everywhere one is offered. Our waitress, Ivy, was excellent. She was fun, efficient, helpful, and polite. Everything you could ask for in a waitress. We also ate Sunday brunch at the Firefly. And although the prices were rather high, the food and service were once again excellent.

The only negative we ran into during our stay was the cost of their parking. At $35 +tax ($39.40 total), we felt it was way over-priced. I'm not sure what their reason is for the excessive cost, but it wasn't explained to us in any acceptable manner. There did appear to be cheaper parking garages in the area, but we weren't aware of them when we checked in. On the bright side, the valet was great. He was friendly and accommodating and packed our bags into our car for us while we were out, and did an conscientious job of it as well.

All in all, we would definitely stay here again when we visit the city. Even if we brought our children.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2008

Hello TravelItNC.

Thank you for your posting. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your escape to DC at the Hotel Madera. It is indeed very close to Dupont Circle. In addition, I am glad that the staff made such a positive impression on you. and were so accommodating with your check out. Moreover I do apologize that parking in DC is expensive and unfortunately for hotels it is no cheaper either. There are self park garages around that will save you money but they are not 24 hours so you do need to plan a little. But that is always an option.

I do hope that you will be able to come back and join us soon!

Reviewed June 10, 2008

I visit DC regularly but this was my first stay at the Madera. Overall, I would give this hotel high marks. The staff was extremely friendly and the location right off of Dupont Circle was very convenient. The room showed a little bit of age but was nicely appointed and beautifully decorated in a very upscale fashion. Many of the rooms have balconies overlooking the street below. There is a restaurant (Firefly) in the hotel and although I didn't eat there, it seemed to be rather popular. Also, this is a pet friendly hotel, which I always consider to be a plus. The price I paid was OK, but if you can find good internet deals I would probably pick Hotel Palomar or Jury"s Washington first. If nothing was available for a reasonable price at either of those, then Hotel Madera would definitely be my next choice.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2008

The VA_Cameo.

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you were able to try out the Hotel Madera for the first time and that you ranked us highly. We appreciate it very much! I will let the staff know that they did a great job. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and would come back again. Of course everyone has their personal preferences but now perhaps we can consider ourselves one of yours.

Reviewed May 28, 2008

We only stayed for one night but wished we had more time. It was our first time staying in a hotel with our dog (she is a 2 yr. old lab) and we were nervous. Hotel Madrea was more than welcoming with a bowl of water waiting for the dog and a compliementary glass of wine for us!

Can not wait to go back for a longer stay!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank natickmatraveler
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2008

Hello Natickmatraveler.

Thank you for your enthusiastic review of the Hotel Madera. I am glad that you and your dog felt welcomed. Kimpton places much emphasis on the various programs we have in place for our guests; one of which is our Pet Program. I do hope that you and your furry companion will be able to come back again soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2008

After a long drive from New York City in a stressful rainstorm, we checked into the Madera Hotel and, suddenly, all of our worries immediately went away. The hotel staff is extremely nice and they appeared to be genuinly happy to see us. Our room, on the 6th floor was spacious, clean and pleasantly decorated. Our room featured two wonderful double beds, each with 2 soft feather pillows, 2 large square pillows and one funky zebra-print pillow. There was a regular-sized television, a CD player and an ipod docking station. There was a small area with a desk and couch and a lovely balcony overlooking picturesque Dupont Circle: a fantastic neighborhood with lots to see and do. To make up for the small bathroom, there was a medium-sized sink area with a mirror and a great makeup mirror.

This hotel was just perfect for our needs. Though it wasn't exactly cheap, it fit within our budget and was definitely worth every penny. To make things even more enjoyable, the hotel provides little perks like a bathrobe, wine glasses, free wifi, a cordless phone, a free wine hour in the evening and milk and cookies at night.

The hotel's location is centrally-located in the heart of Dupont Circle where we were within easy walking distance to great restaurants, shops and monuments. It is about a 15 minute walk to Georgetown and a quick Metro ride to the National Mall area.

I hightly recommend this hotel. It has a great vibe, a positive attitude and down-to-earth service. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kellygobraugh
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for your thoughts and comments about Hotel Madera. They are greatly appreciated. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay.

I am sorry you had to drive in on such a miserable day. It has been very wet in DC lately. However, it delights me to know that as soon as you stepped in the front door you were greater warmly and taken care of. In addition, I am glad that you were able to take part in some of the little extras that we at Kimpton like to think make you feel more at home. Plus the wine in the evening is a great way to meet other guests and the management team. And who doesn’t like a warm cookie and glass of milk at night!

Thank you for staying and I do hope that you are able to join us again! Thank you and have a nice day!

Reviewed May 5, 2008

Stay there for a night. Got a great deal on Hotwire. Check in was fast and the front desk people were very professional and very helpful. The room was spacious, well lit and clean; it was decorated in a modern style, and it had a separate area with a desk, great for working in the room. Two very comfortable beds, I would have rather had a king size, but I did not even try to ask for a change, since I was just there for the night. Very large bathroom with lots of handle bars for people with disabilities. However to get to the elevators you have to claim a few steps and I did not see a ramp or a different elevator, but I am sure there is access for wheelchairs, etc.

One strange thing, in the bathroom there is something like a closet and you will find there some hangers with night garments for sale (for males and females), which are animal print inspired, and some socks... I thought it was strange, but nothing wrong with that, just not what I expected to see in a hotel bathroom.

Did not check out the restaurant, but it seem quite busy even after 11 pm. The hotel does not have big lobby.

My room faced the inside (as in towards where the air conditioners units were located), which was fine with me, since I imagine you may get some street noise if your room faces the street. Dupont Circle Metro station is less than 5 minutes walk. So Location, Location, Location.

There was a mini bar, for which I did not asked for the key. And when I came home at night after going out, there was a jar of cookies, Oreo like, in the lobby which I thought it was a nice touch. I guess my only disappointing comment would be the fact that I would have liked a little coffee maker in the room. I believe they do have coffee in the lobby, I just did not check it out, since I was in a rush to leave the next morning.

I liked this place, I recommend it and I would come back if I have a chance.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2008

Hello and Good Day!

Thank you for your kind words and detailed comments. They are much appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Your review was very detailed.

I noticed that you saw the animal print robes and fluffy socks! These items are in the room as part of our program to allow guests to relax in comfort. Who wouldn’t want to put a pair of soft socks (for purchase) on after a shower and relax on the bed in a robe? Did you notice the little ones for the kids also?

I am sorry that there are not coffee makers in the room but we felt it would be more hospitable to brew it hot and ready for our guests to grab on the go instead. Did you know it is organic, shade grown, and also fair trade coffee? It is just one more way Kimpton can give back to the community and environment.

I do hope that you will be able to stay with us again, or any Kimpton hotel in Washington DC. Thank you for staying and have a great day!

Reviewed April 7, 2008

Had a great stay here. Was in town on business and needed something close to Dupont Circle. Staff was very friendly. Room was humongous and, as requested had exercise equipment in it. Complimentary Starbucks coffee in the am, and wine in the evening (though I didn't make it back early enough for this on most nights). Free high speed internet access and papers delivered each day. All in all, everything I needed in a hotel. This is not a large hotel, so you aren't going to have bell hops and valets, but I didn't need these service. Two quirks about the rooms--no full length mirror (gotta make sure the business suit is on properly!) and the lighting in the whole room was pretty dim. But these two things were minor and the rest worked really well for me.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank gottabetraveler
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2008

Hello and Good Day!

Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel. It is much appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed your spacious room and the exercise equipment in it. These rooms are designed with business travelers like you in mind. I understand your feelings about the lighting in the room and the mirror. These design challenges should be taken into consideration as Kimpton continues to grow.

Your feedback is valuable to us as it allows for continued improvement. Thank you and have a nice day!