“Rooms are ok but really one step up from a motel overall”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Good: Convenient to Dupont Circle area, room size is good, rooms were relatively clean and well appointed but in that tacky cheap Kimpton fashion (pier 1 prints on walls, animal print bathrobes, mis-matched lamps - all furniture looked like a mish mosh from 10 other hotels). Free internet and $10 minibar credit (but of course you have to join their frequent guest program to get it, so I anticipate tons of nonsense email spam to save the $20 bucks).

The Bad: Service was non existent. Be warned - this hotel has no lobby - there's literally a podium with one person behind it called the front desk and 2 chairs and a table - more like a hallway. So - if you're looking for a hotel lobby feel this ain't it - more like an apt building entryway. Supposed to be a continental breakfast available from 6a daily (this is also written on their website) - however when calling the "annoyed" front desk person they told me "restaurant opens at 9a" and room service didn't start until 8:15 - how the heck can you get a damn cup of coffee in this joint if you have to be someplace early - FIX YOUR WEBSITE - or better yet - start accommodating your guest needs or put coffee makers in the rooms. There's tons of construction going on in the road in front of the hotel so taxi access is near impossible and tons of traffic.

Overall: Way too many other options in DC - and this wasn't one of the cheapest but it was certainly one of the most forgettable hotel experiences. Try elsewhere unless desperate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank kellyfeels
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear kellyfeels, I appreciate all of the good that you wrote, but I'm very concerned about the "bad" you wrote about. Yes, it's true our Lobby is not a grand lobby like some other Hotels. Many of our Guests do appreciate this since it does feel like their own little home or apartment building in Washington. I am concerned about you stating that our website says there is a continental breakfast at 6am. I reviewd the website and cannot find this information. PLease let me know where you saw it so i can have this corrected asap. My apologies for any confusion. I thank you for your patience and do truly hope you visit again, Modi Ahmed General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,286)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've stayed at the Madera twice in the last two months and while the rooms were clean and beds comfortable i think its one of the weaker kimpton properties. Its got the same great kimpton amenities.. ie $10 mini bar credit, free wifi which makes me a loyal kimpton customer but both times the shower faucet handle was broken or loose, the tub was a cheap fiberglass that flexed when you stood in it and i saw a roach in the tub. The rooms were spacious however there a roaring noise that either is from the elevator or nearby vent that roared throughout the evening. Overall, its ok for a short one night stay given the price but you can probably get the same at a courtyard type hotel. Also there is nothing there, nothing.. no deli, no drugstore withing reasonable walking. The metro is a bit of a hike too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear nycoolchick, I am so sorry about the issues you found with the bathroom. Our Housekeeping and Engineering teams take great pride in providing our Guests a room that is clean and in good working order. I thank you for your feedback so we can repair the items you listed. I am surprised about your comments about nothing in the area. There is a 24 hr CVS pharmacy 2 blocks away, a great local deli just across the street, and the Dupont Circle metro station is 2 blocks away as well. We do appreciate your feedback so we can corerct the items you listed. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at the Madera for work and loved my deluxe room! The reception area is tiny, but a nice place to gather around for wine hour in the evenings, or morning coffee. Nicole and Fernando were outstanding and I wish all hotels had staff like the two of them, super friendly, efficient, and very attentive. I was pleasantly surprised when I found a yoga mat in my closet. The only thing that would need improvement is their business center which has only one computer and if you need to use the Internet the service is not free. The Firefly restaurant at the hotel was delicious and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nat_B_7, so glad Nicole and Fernando provided a wonderful experience for you. They are gems at the Madera. Glad you enjoyed Firefly Restaurant. The new summer menu is coming out, I hope you return to try it! Thanks again and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed May 15, 2013

First off, I have never stayed at a Kimpton Hotel before this one, however from general reputation and checking out their websites etc I was under the impression that this line of Hotels were on the swankier side. We stayed at the Madera Hotel for a birthday getaway in DC, so we splurged $ on the hotel. I was a little taken aback by the (lack of a) lobby area, but that's not really a big deal as I think it was kind of in keeping with the modern minimalist theme they have going on. The room itself was spacious, very clean and nicely decorated in the modern-minimalist theme, and it had that 'new' smell so I'm guessing the rooms were recently renovated which I liked. The king size bed was VERY comfortable, slept really well! The bathroom is a huge disappointment though. The toilet is right up against the (tiny) tub/shower so much so that it's tricky getting out of the shower without rubbing up against the toilet bowl (gross), and just trying to get in the bathroom to use the toilet you have to manouver in the right way just to be able to shut the door behind you (and my husband and I are not big/tall people). The bottom of the tub feels like there is pocket of air in the floor and actually throws your balance off a little while in there showering. Overall it was a decent Hotel, and had the cost per night to stay in one of these Kimpton hotels been more reasonable I might not have cared about things like the bathroom. However since it was a Kimpton Hotel and we felt we didn't get any 'luxury' out of a 'luxury' price tag, we were a bit disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LB-BB2006

Dear LB-BB2006, I am so sorry the bathroom was a little tighter than was expected. Admittedly, some of our bathrooms are on the cozy side, but thankfully the vanity area is on the outside to provide a little more space. I hope this didnt deter you from booking a Kimpton Hotel again. Our service and experience is what keeps our Guests coming back time and time again. Thanks, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed May 14, 2013

When you can ask for a decent green tea, get one...and not have to tell the check in staff what paper you want, but simply find the NY Times at the door in the AM...and when you leave, you wait no more than :45 seconds for your cab...you're in the right place.

Room Tip: If you're a tea drinker, as for the Dragon Well green...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hello jcbouvier, short and sweet review!! Thanks for the review!!! Hopefully our tea was enough to make you a Madera guest for life!! Thanks again and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is my second time at the Madera Hotel. Yes it is true it doesn't have a grand entry, in fact there is not much of a lobby. The rooms have been redone, I had a deluxe king which was well appointed but very small and the bathroom was tiny even for a small person. It would have been very tight for a couple. The beds were comfortable and there were ample spots for plugging in devices. They offer complimentary coffee in the morning, ice water all day, and wine in the afternoon - a very nice touch.

Three top reasons for staying at the Madera were -
1. The fabulous location - close to Dupont Circle, the Metro, Embassy Row, The Phillips Museum
2. The staff is so friendly - helpful and attentive without being overly intrusive. One gentleman, Fernando recognized me from my last trip - he is a gem.
3. The Madera is usually a little less expensive than any of the other Kimptons in the area, maybe because the lobby is lacking a little. The other Kimpton hotels look more hip and glamorous, but The Madera is also in a quieter area than some of the others and I liked that.

The restaurant Firefly was great for breakfast and is a very happening place at night. Considering how noisy all of this could be, it was not a problem getting in and out of the hotel or a problem in the rooms.
I highly recommend this hotel for anyone coming to DC and looking for a small and intimate hotel in a very desirable part of town.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Hello rebsol, thanks for putting up your top 3 reasons to stay at the Madera!! So great!! Yes the location is great, and our rates are very competitive with other hotels inthe area. But the #1 reason is our the service our Staff provides. What we lack in hotel size, we make up for with big hearts. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Overall a very nice place. Front desk staff were friendlly and helpful, rooms were clean and well appointed. Very good location. We had a balcony room on the 6th floor so we had a nice view but some street noise is to be expected. The attached Firelfy restaurant wasn't so great but there are plenty of options close by. I would like to try some of the other Kimptioon properties on future trips, but I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Go for the balcony. It beats looking out over a rear parking lot.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hello Fudgiesmom, I'm veryhappy you enjoyed your visit. Thanks so much for recommending our Hotel to others. I do apologize you didnt find our Firelfy restaurant to your liking. So sorry about that, but the good thing is they change their menu every seaon so i'm sure when you return you'll find something you enjoy. Thanks again and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager