“Comfortable hotel with friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Maine
“Comfortable hotel with friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights while traveling on business. It is a very nice hotel. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom is well designed. The hotel is also well located—near Dupont Circle and the metro. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from in the local area. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. When the woman at the registration desk found that I was not going to be able to enjoy the Kimpton happy hours (free wine) either night she gave me a coupon for a free glass of wine at the bar. All in all—it lived up to my high expectations of a Kimpton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello IronChefNeva, what a great name! Hopefully you were able to experience some of the fine food from our Firefly Restaurant. I am glad that even though missed our wine Hour, our Front Desk team still was able to provide you with a glass to make your evening enjoyable. Thanks for the great review and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was a last minute booking and the rate for location was great. The room we stayed in was very spacious and clean. Modern decor was nicely done and the beds were great. Only thing I missed was my own feather pillow.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Wrmfazio, even though your booking was last minute, it looks like your visit to the Madera did not disappoint. I am happy your room and the service met your expectations. Thanks for the review, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Entirely positive and satisfying. European styling chic and simple. Staff is polite at every turn and helped us get a reservation for 9 at the last minute on a weekend! Good value. Good location for easy walk to selection of food/ drinks/ metro. 12/28/12 for 3 nights.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello shanandery, THANK YOU shanandery for writing a review of your recent visit! An actual Guests recommendation goes so far for other travellers. Our location is such an asset and makes it super easy to get to almost any part of the city. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Hotel was in a great location and the staff was amazing. I would suggest staying here especially if the rate is reasonable. The property is very close to Dupont Circle and you couldn't ask for better service. The building is a bit worn but alas they are getting a renovation in a couple of months.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and a balcony room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Brian E, great review! happy your visit was great and you found the staff amazing. Yes, we are going through a renovation soon! We are so excited!! Please come back and visit so you can see all the wonderful changes! Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Having stayed at Kimpton properties in the past I kinda knew what to expect as far as interesting interiors and good clean accommodation goes, but I have to say the staff and service here is the best I´ve ever seen. They go way beyond the average call of duty and actually make your stay that much better. They are friendly and genuine and will help you with whatever questions or problems you have. I requested a feather pillow and within minutes it was delivered to my door with a big smile and the girl also asked if there was anything else she could help me with. The rooms here are big and although the bathrooms are a little tight it did not cause a problem. Location is great and the restaurant serves really excellent food. A good price for what you get.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Jodie P, I am ecstatic to read that you think of all the Kimpton Hotels you've stayed at the Madera provides the best service you've seen. WOW!!!! We may be a smaller Hotel but that doesnt stop us from creating great experiences for our Guests. So happy you were able to eat in our Firefly restaurant as well. Thank you again Jodie P, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Wife and I spoiled ourselves for a weekend at the Madera in the DuPont Circle area. Very nice staff, nice rooms. Definitely ask for the balcony rooms, upper floors if possible, which face the street and have floor to ceiling windows. I understand the rear room have a nice view also, but we didn't see them. We were there on a slow weekend and so were able to both check-in early and leave late. We appreciated that, some places will not allow it even if they have the rooms available and ready. The wine reception was just ok since there is not a lobby to speak of, just a hallway by the front door. The place makes the most of what they have available at a reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sociallyliving
Hello sociallyliving, thank you so much for deciding to stay at the Madera during you and your wifes special weekend getaway! You deserve to be spoiled! I beleive the Madera does make use of our smaller size to the Guests advantage. It lets us provide that level of service not tpyical of larger Hotels. Thanks again for the review and do visit soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I'm a member of Kimpton's InTouch loyalty program, which comes with some nice perks. I've stayed at a few of their properties around the US. But, the service I received from the Madera staff tops them all...

First, I received a call from the hotel (can't remember her name) a few days before my arrival as a courtesy call. She wanted to know if there was anything the hotel could do to make my arrival any better? To that I said, yes! I told her that I would be arriving in the evening after a long flight and a little snack and beverage in the room would be nice. She asked what kind of snack would I like. I responded with, how about cheese and crackers with a cold bottle of spring water. She said it would be her pleasure and she closed the call with have a good flight.

Fast forward a few days to my arrival. The hotel lobby is small and shares the space with their Firefly restaurant. But, it's DC and with space a constraint who needs a HUGE lobby. Check in was quick and effecient. The front desk staff used by name many times and made me feel welcomed. Next, off to my room. Good news, the rooms are not like the lobby. Rooms are very large and have a modern whimsical flare. The whimsical flare should have been my first clue to what I'd likely receive as a welcome plate of cheese and crackers. So, what did I receive? Cheesy Goldfish crackers and a cold bottle of Evian water. Classic! It made me smile and tells me the hotel doesn't take themselves too serious. LOVE IT!

Overall the hotel feels old, and from other posts sounds like it was previously an apartment building. Oh well, as long as it's clean, well maintained and service is great...who cares.

If you're in DC and close to Dupont Circle stay at Madera. The service will make you come back again and again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MPLS-MN_Traveler
Dear MPLS_MN_Traveler, wow, we topped all the Kimptons you've stayed at!? That means so much!!!!! Thank you for being a Kimpton loyalist and BIG thank you for writing your review! I am thrilled we provided the level of service you deserve. Thanks again and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager