WINNER WONDERLAND

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #54 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Hampshire
“Large room, accommodating staff, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I spent two nights in this former apartment building which has been converted into a Kimpton boutique hotel, two blocks from Dupont Circle. My room, facing the back of the building on a high floor, had no noise, and a great view of the National Cathedral and more. It was quite large -- it appears to have been a studio apartment in a previous life, but it's now outfitted in classic Kimpton style, with an amazingly comfortable bed and all the amenities you'd expect from Kimpton (animal print robes, bright orange umbrella, minibar, etc)

The sink was outside the bathroom door; the bathroom itself had just enough room for the toilet and tub. The tub/shower is not very wide; neither am I, but if you are, you might find the bathroom a bit cramped.

I appreciated the eco-friendly practices, including the soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower rather than mini plastic bottles, but it took a lot of pumping to get anything to come out of the dispensers.

The staff in the small lobby/entranceway were very accommodating and service-oriented (printing boarding passes, calling taxis, extending my check out time, etc.), although some seemed a little less experienced and polished than at other Kimpton hotels where I've stayed. Waitstaff in the restaurant was very accommodating and helpful; food was excellent; all maintenance and housekeeping staff who I met in the hallways or elevators were beyond friendly.

The two small elevators were a bit slow and one of them had a door that was quite unforgiving for those in the lobby awaiting a ride upstairs -- on more than one occasion, by the time everyone coming down got out, the door was closing and would not reopen to take guests upstairs, no matter how hard we pushed the button or tried to hold the door physically, but a staff member came running and wedged himself into the closing door and pushed the "open door" button from the inside and saved the day; once I learned that trick, I practiced it for others.

I found the Kimpton secret password on Facebook and used it on check-in and was given my choice of a free continental breakfast (which I opted for and which says "no substitutions" on it and on the menu, but the waitstaff offered me $7.50 discount off my bill if I used the coupon for breakfast off the menu) , free parking, a free cocktail, or an additional raid the minibar coupon.

This is the third Kimpton Hotel I've stayed at in Washington (including the Helix and the Hotel Rouge). I would gladly stay at any of the three again, though The Madera is more for grown ups than the Helix.

Room Tip: My eyes were itchy most of the time -- I think a pet was in that room recently; this hasn't been...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear PoblanoJ, truly appreciate you writing such an extensiive review of your visit! I thank you for being such a Kimpton fan and visiting many of our properties like us and the Helix. i'm thrilled you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for mentioning a few things we can work on, like the elevator. We will correct for your next visit. Thanks again and we will hopefully see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Sacramento, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel Madera five times in the past six weeks. it is an amazing little hotel. The rooms are big. Bathrooms are small and unrenovated but that is absolutely the only issue with this hotel. Aaron at the front desk, Fernando the bellman, Christie in the bar and the gentleman who serves breakfast every day are all very professional, delightful and just a breath of fresh air compared to the stiff, non-personal attention I am accustomed to in many other branded hotels. As a frequent traveler, I don't always write reviews but in this case, these guys deserve it as their service is over the top. I also witnessed several other frequent travelers who I recognized week after week. It is clear, these guys know service and that's why it is so comforting for weary business travelers to come back. I recommend this hotel for leisure or business.

Room Tip: I highly recommend upgrading to a fitness room. They will put a treadmill and yoga pack in your roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello JetsetManager, I am so thankful you were willing to write a review of your several visits to the Madera!! You are now a convert to the wonderful service the Madera provides! Thank you for recognizing some of our rockstar Employees! Please do visit again real soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We took our nieces to DC for Thanksgiving. I wanted them to experience a nice boutique hotel, and we have always been delighted by Kimptons. In particular, I love being in the Dupont Circle area, so this location could not have been better. The hotel was exactly what I would expect from a Kimpton, i.e. small but cozy rooms with beautiful interiors throughout the hotel.

What made the hotel experience wonderful, however, was the staff (especially Aaron). They could not have been any more gracious, friendly, or helpful. We are not used to traveling with kids, and the staff had some great suggestions for us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AharonG
Dear AharonG, travelling with kids can sometimes be an exciting adventure. I am happy that our Staff made you and your nieces visit to Washing and the Madera wonderful. Aaron at the Front Desk is a true joy and loves providing warm sernive to our Guests. Thank you for the review and please visit again with or without kids! Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Used to live in the neighborhood in the 80's and so I was quite familiar with the surroundings. I must admit Sniqueaway is a godsend because I like to escape within the city and don't worry about getting a cab home. Madera was quite comfortable and relatively quiet. I was most taken with the balcony because it saved me a trip down the elevator just to smoke. I didn't like having to fill out Kimpton's stay in touch application just to get complimentary internet so I punted that idea (besides I have my phone if pressed). I got the double queen which my friend found very comfortable as well. Parking I knew was going to be a problem in DuPont Circle but surprise surpriise a spot opened up after 7 minutes circling the block. I especially liked the honor bar emptied out at my request when the requested refrigerator didn't show.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello BlackBear49, welcome back to your old hood! It's great to reminisce and see your old stomping grounds. Great luck on the parking space opening up. Thanks for the great review and please visit the neighborhood again soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the madera a few months ago for a wedding. My trip to dc started off terribly from the moment I stepped off the plane. Hour-long taxi drives, missing the rehearsal dinner, minor car accident were just a few of the terrible incidents that took place that morning. I arrived at the madera exhausted, and I got a phonecall from my friends that they found another hotel an hr away closer to the wedding. I asked the manager if I could cancel and explained to him my situation. He was very calm, understanding, and knew how much anxiety I was feeling - he let me cancel. Keep reading, it gets better. As I started walking out of the hotel I noticed I didn't have my suitcase. Thinking to myself that I left it in my room for the two minutes of checking in, I asked for the key back - no suitcase to be found. I left my bags in the taxi that dropped me off. At that point I burst into tears. I had flagged down the taxi, so I didn't know shock taxi it was. The staff members took action IMMEDIATELY. the manager and his team went to the camera room and looked for HOURS at video footage outside to try to find a clip if the taxi number and company. Thankfully, I was able to call all the taxi companies and they pages all the drivers. Keep reading, it gets better. When my suitcase arrived, one of the front desk receptionists ran out and got my bag for me. The taxi told him it was going to be 20 dollars because he had to drive it back, and the worker gave him 20 dollars of his own money!! He said to me, "trust me, it's the least I could do, you had a terrible day." Keep reading it gets better. I thought things were looking up, and then received a call from my friend telling me not to cancel! I walked back to the hotel and was really embarrassed at this point because the staff had already done do much. I explained, and he graciously gave me my key back and told me to rest up. Never in my life have I met such genuine, caring, and kind people. I have never written a review, but was compelled to do so because this hotel deserves all if the credit and praise it can get. I am truly thankful that they were so understanding and helpful. The hotel is beautiful, meticulously clean, and the location is prime. Do yourself a favor, stay here - the price was ridiculously affordable and the quality was top notch. Thank you to the staff at hotel madera for truly making my disaster of am experience to dc more tolerable.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank dakota85739
Dear dakota85739, Wow! What an ordeal to start your trip to Washington! I can't express to you how thankful I am that our Team showed you such genuine care and service to make your difficult situation more bearable. We truly want to provide a level of service from the heart. I am glad in the end it all worked out. My sincere thanks for writing the review. Please do come to visit the Madera again. Sincerely, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel came as a surprise since we are used to staying at the big chains. Very well-priced, clean, quiet, very friendly staff. Rooms are a good size, but bathroom i.e. toilet and shower are small. Sink is outside the bathroom and roomy enough. Great restaurants nearby, an easy walk. No need to eat at the hotel, a few blocks away is great fish, mediterranean, Greek, steak, etc. As for location, around the corner from the south entrance to the Dupont Circle Metro and a good walk to the Mall, Georgetown, etc. I would recommend it highly. Thought about the Palomar, a sister hotel but we did not need the exercise room or a pool or a lobby so why pay extra for things we didn't need.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank realproperty
Hello realproperty, surpise surprise! The Madera has won you over! So glad that our staff, location, and Hotel were able to make you convert. We cant wait to have you return! Thanks, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a great place to stay in busy D.C. Great place to relax and unwind. Staff is superb. Food at Firefly is wonderful and well priced. Plus, as a vegetarian, I actually had some great choices.

Great to stay in a boutique hotel where things are personal and not cookie-cutter. I look forward to having unique experiences when I travel. Kimpton hotels definitely delivers!

Very enjoyable. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: So nice to have a spacious room with a sofa and a balcony. Truly wonderful!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello kk4travel, what a great recommendation! Thank you! BIG thank you for being such a fan of the Madera and Kimpton Hotels. Personalized service and unique experiences is what sets us apart. Thanks and see you soon, Modi Ahmed