“Great Hotel...Excellent Service”

Ranked #110 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Houston, Texas
“Great Hotel...Excellent Service”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

So I stayed at the Beacon last month in July and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. After reading mixed reviewed online, I heistantly booked my reservation through Expedia. I must say for an independently owned hotel; the Beacon definitely can compete with the big chain hotels. The hotel overall would probably get a 9 out of 10 only because of the early closing time of the bar at 10 as well as room service but on the other hand I must highlight the wonderful staff from the bellman to the front desk staff especially Myra and Ashley. Both young ladies were extremely helpful, knowledgeable about the area and always eqipped to answer any questions I had. In addition to the staff, the hotel was extremely well kept from the lobby area to the rooms. The rooms were spacious and my room on the 9th floor appeared to be newly renovated which was definitely a plus. Overall I would definitely stay at the Beacon Hotel again and recommend it to anyone traveling to the D.C. area

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
BeaconHotelFOM, Front Office Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Thank you very much for staying at the Beacon Hotel for your recent visit to Washington, DC. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
-The Beacon Hotel Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
humble tx
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This hotel is wonderful, it's in walking distance of transporattion and it's not very far from the White House. We enjoyed the spaciousness of the room and the staff was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
BeaconHotelFOM, Front Office Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
We would like to sincerely Thank You for your feedback. We are here thanks to you!!!
-Beacon Hotel Family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I travel to DC at least once/month and have been doing so for almost three years. My company's office is downtown. I have stayed at many hotels in the downtwon/dupont circle/woodley park area. Some have been boutique hotels; others name-brand hotel chains. I have booked some directly and some through online services like priceline.

So, I have a lot of experience finding the best hotel "deal" in the area. I have settled on the Beacon as far and away the best value. Prices are always competitive. The location can't be beat (There are numerous excellent restaurants within a 10 minute walk, the YMCA is right across the street, and it is very convenient to the Metro). The staff is extremely friendly and responsive. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed (very contemporary and stylish) with nice high-tech electronic. Showers are great and beds are comfortable.

I find that it's very much like returning "home" when I check in.

1 Thank jcm1jts
Oak Park, IL
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I commute between Chicago and Washington for business and usually stay at the Beacon. The hotel is well located near Metro (DuPont Circle and Farragut North) and close to restaruants, and sufficently well appointed. Rooms are comfortable and spacious for the cost. restaurant is good and reasonable. Staff are really the difference makers. Front desk staff are efficient, friendly and helpful. Room service prompt and effective. Small quibles are the elevator, where you need to use your room key to go up and it doesn't always work the first time. Also, TV channel selections do not include local sports cable channels or Versus, which limits viewing for a sports fan. Instead, the TV features a channel from China. Why? All in all, very good value for money and well worth repeat stays.

1 Thank MP131
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2010

This hotel is nicely located, 10 minutes walk to dupont circle or other metro, room is good size and hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The main negative is uncomfortable bed and very uncomfortable pillows. Not many places close by are open at night.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2010

For $109 a night, I feel the Beacon Hotel did just fine. The good: Comfortable king bed; huge room with seating area and several chairs; flat screen TV; lots of windows (that actually open a bit) and a view that includes some greenery; clean; bathroom with 2 sinks and tons of space; a great location near Dupont Circle.
The mediocre: the sheets, while fine, are not top of the line; the love seat in the room looked a little ratty; some confusion with the staff about the hours of the Sky Bar; no mini fridge in the room.
The bad: well, I can't really think of anything bad! Is this place perfect? Not by a long shot, but I don't expect perfection for $109 a night. If I had paid Hay Adams prices, I would have expected (and demanded) a lot more. For what I paid, I appreciated a cool, spacious, comfortable place to sleep 2 nights.
Oh- the bar downstairs makes some good cocktails and appetizers, too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights with my wife while we were in D.C. as tourists for the 4th of July weekend. Overall I thought the hotel was good value for the money. I thought the rate was very reasonable ($109). The rooms were very clean, the staff were friendly and I thought the location was good from a tourists POV. It's about a 5 minute walk to the metro and a 10 minute walk to the White House. It seems to be in a clean and safe part of D.C. Our room included a kitchenette which of course was pretty handy. We had a good experience in the restaurant downstairs so I would recommend that as well. My critiques of the hotel was that it seemed to be in need of some renovating. It's beginning to show signs of wear. In addition the photos on the hotel website were a bit misleading. The hotel lobby and the room for that matter were much smaller than what I was expecting based on what I saw on the website, however we were still satisfied with our room. The rooftop bar was a nice experience however for whatever reason, they close up every night at 10pm. Therefore we didn't get to experience it the way we would have liked to as we were kicked out after one drink. Overall, it was a good stay and made for a good place to crash after a full day of sightseeing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple