“Worked for Us!”

Ranked #107 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Riverside, California
“Worked for Us!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We booked this hotel through Priceline.com.

This hotel worked out perfectly as it is centrally located. And located a few blocks from Faraguat Metro Station, which proved to be a great help.

Upon arriving, I asked if any complimentary upgrades were available. We were told the hotel was booked solid for the night (Wednesday night) and to check back the next morning before heading out. The room was nothing special - two double beds, a very small bathroom. Room so small that the coffee pot was kept on a shelf in the closet. It was going to be a very long 4 days if our family of four continued in this room.

We were upgraded (complimentary) the next morning to what I think is a mini suite? - Two double beds, a couch area with sofa sleeper and a mini kitchen (fridge, freezer, stove top, stocked cupboards with dishes, dish washer). It was PERFECT!!!!! We loved it! Our girls (ages 9 and 14) loved it so much that they didn't want to leave the room! Thank you to Lisa at the front desk for working her magic.

The rest of the front desk staff were friendly and we encountered no problems. We were always greeted as we came in, and wished a good day as we left by the Valet Attendants.

The only drawback we encountered was in regards to the restaurant in the Hotel. Husband and I desired a mini date and we thought we'd get dessert and enjoy the sky bar.Too loud for our taste. So we went downstairs to the restaurant. There was no host. A waiter sat us and seemed put out that we were only there for dessert. It was as though the place really wasn't interested in our business. Not sure if it was because it was 9:30 at night (closes at 10;00) or what. We did get dessert and enjoyed a few minutes without our kids. But it was more effort than we thought it'd be.

Overall, our stay at the Beacon was great!! The room upgrade was appreciated more than words could express. If given the chance, we'd stay here again, and we would recommend!

Room Tip: Never be afraid to ask for a complimentary room upgrade. Every time I've asked, we've been a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 28darcyf
SteveRipai, Front Office Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful appraisal of your stay at the Beaon Hotel. We are also very grateful for the compliments on the staff. It is gratifying to have happy customer that would take the time to share their positive experience, because our reward is your total satisfaction and wanting to return to the Beacon. I also truly appreciate your having made us aware of your experience in our restaurant and can assure you that we’ve taken corrective measures to prevent such occurrences in the future. Thank you for having selected the Beacon and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed June 15, 2014

W-e-e-l-l-l.........

This hotel was a terrific bargain, but it's hardly glamorous. You get what you pay for, and a bit more. The room was clean, though small. Noise bled through the walls a bit, too. Hallways were brightly lit and the staff friendly enough.

So what was the issue? It was a "blah" hotel. Not a lot of personality. To be fair, my friends and I weren't in the rooms for huge amounts of time, and everything was clean. Bathroom was very nice, as well. We didn't eat in the restaurants here, though the outside patio seemed very nice. WARNING: avoid the rooftop bar......completely overpriced, loud, and not terribly relaxing.

The hotel's location is terrific if you want to be in the Dupont Circle area, and the Metro isn't a very far walk.

I don't want to sound negative, because everything was fine, it just didn't have anything that made it stand out. For the price, ABSOLUTELY.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the elevator; there's some sound from them and you can hear it in the ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank JAS576
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We booked this hotel on the recommendation of a good friend. She was on point. People are really friendly. It was the perfect place to stay. Location was close to everything, restaurant, nightlife, White House and more. The rooms we had was connecting. It was clean and one of the room had a kitchen with two beds. The hotel have valet parking only for $37.00 a day. Internet was free and you get a discount in the restaurant for staying in the hotel. Overall a very good experience. The staff were helpful and caring.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TEvans25
SteveRipai, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
We truly appreciate your kind appraisal and we look forward to your next visit.
Toronto
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We spent 4 nights in what they call a Corporate Junior suite and it was fine. However, after checking out and on our flight back to Toronto, I realized that I had left my cell phone plugged in to charge and had left it in the room. Thank goodness, it was an old cell phone that I was going to replace in the next few months. As soon as we arrived home, I called and spoke to the front desk woman who said she would check with housekeeping and call me back. She said she would Fedex it to me if they found it. Several days went by and no call and nothing in the mail so I called again and asked to speak to the manager. What I got was the voice mail of the Assistant Manager. He actually called two days later and said he would call back with some information as to whether it had been found. That was the last communication from the Beacon and the last time we stay there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Ellie41Toronto
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The hotel was great and the location and price was also great. I came down with a group of people and one of the fridges was broken and not working, it wasn't in my room and not sure if it was ever reported, but this wasn't the reason for my poor rating.. My problem didn't happen until I tried getting my car from valet. You pay $37 a night to park and had to wait 45 minutes to get my car out. Were they busy...nope. I had to ask the valet 3 times where was my car and they kept saying it was coming. When I asked the front desk they offered little help to no help. It is always the last impression that sticks with the guests and this stuck in and I will never visit this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Matthew H
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a weekend stay at the Beacon..., outside of the location, everything else was left to be desired.

Room wasn't ready at check in, room wasn't as advertised, wasn't offered any sort of accommodation or make up (will be calling corporate tomorrow) there were holes in the wall in the room, room was verrrry small and cramped.

Front desk staff were humorous and polite, but didn't really solve any main concerns we had.

The rooftop bar was nice...., but that's about it

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Cee_Wanderlust
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We booked the most expensive suite at this hotel and even called and spoke to Lisa about the hotel and the suite to ensure it was a good experience. We took the time to tell her that it was our daughter's last vacation with us before going off to college and how important it was for it to be good for her. We get here and are put in Room 925 and about 7 o'clock techno music starts blasting and the windows start rattling because of the noise. We call downstairs and are told "I think there's a club somewhere." In an hour, we go downstairs and find out there is a techno club exactly above the suite and that the music will blast us senseless until at least 11 pm. They offer to move us to 825. The bellman comes up as the music is blasting and says in front of us "this is horrifying." All this is relevant because the hotel's assistant manager claims he has never in his lifetime had a single solitary comment about noise issues in this hotel. With screws being loose and windows vibrating, I doubt that seriously. 825 proves to be not much better. In the bonus round, we try to get room service. We call for 30 minutes and no one answers the phone and we go downstairs and finally after 10 minutes someone takes an order -- 7 people in the restaurant -- a real crowd. Tells us 30 minutes. After 35 we call down and it's being plated. By the time it gets to the room the ice in the glass is nearly melted and the food is cold. Our minor daughter is sobbing and eats cold food. The torturous music doesn't stop at 11pm as promised as the time the "torture" would end, and it goes on and on and on and we get absolutely no sleep last night. Our daughter is throwing up this morning from lack of sleep. There are no hotels in the area left because it's a popular city. Despite the fact that I ask the assistant manager, Steve, to call me when he comes in no matter what time, he refuses to do so saying he made the decision not to honor my request. I finally get him on the phone and he starts implying that nothing is wrong and he doesn't get why I am so upset the whole thousands of dollars prepaid, minor child got no sleep and ate cold food totally alluding him. When I tell him how many times we called and begged to be moved to another room he continues to talk over me, and we ask him to quit talking in an aggressive manner and quit talking over us and he starts laughing saying that people are in front of him who will testify that he's not being condescending, rude or aggressive and these people are guests or his own report to staff. We tell him that his own staff admitted to us last night that the hotel knows noise is an issue in the "25" rooms on high floors and he incredibly says that he'll talk to them to see what they say after he speaks with them which is a veiled threat to threaten them with their jobs for telling the truth. We asked repeatedly during this conversation to talk to the general manager and he refuses to leave a message saying we can talk to a general manager when the general manager comes to work that we are not allowed to request to speak to the general manager on an escalated basis involving a minor child. The resolution he comes up with us to see if we "like" another room on a lower floor and we explain the only way we will know is when the techno music blasts up again tonight and ask to ask the folks staying there if they had a noise issue and he gets extremely defensive saying "I will not allow you to talk to any other guest in this hotel." All we wanted to know was if noise was an issue. The room itself is beautiful just like the picture, but the noise from the club was not disclosed and it is a MAJOR issue if you expect to use the room to sleep. My daughter is now ill because of this hotel and we have PREPAID for the best suite in the house to be made to feel like we are the ones who are wrong. The management here is the absolute worst in all my travels and their comments that they have never had a complaint about the noise from the club in these suites is simply unbelievable and according to the staff who would talk to us not true. They had a duty to disclose extraordinary noise such as this club on top of the hotel -- other hotels have waivers to sign about club noise this is standard in the industry - but their aggressive anger over the fact that this techno blasting is just "noise like any other hotel has," is unacceptable. We have done nothing wrong except for prepay for the best suite in the house ...

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 25 on high floors subjected to extraordinarily loud pounding noise for hours on end
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family