“Great hotel and value.”

Ranked #106 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Needham, Massachusetts
“Great hotel and value.”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Hotel staff was very helpful and friendly, room was spacious and clean, location was good for DC family visit. The hotel is less than 10 min walk to few different metro stops which provide access to several different attractions. Also very close to DuPont circle and multiple restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank NeedhamFam
SteveRipai, Guest Relations Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your very gracious comments they are indeed very much appreciated and will be shared with our entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Western Massachusetts
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Another work-related trip brought me to DC and this hotel and overall, it was a pleasant experience. One of the things I hope for when staying at a hotel is friendly service and every member of the staff that I interacted with was gracious, friendly, kind, and for a couple of them, quite amusing (especially those cool characters at the front desk...they all deserve raises for putting up with my shenanigans).

So...the good or great stuff about this hotel. First, the location is pretty dang awesome. You're not too far from anything worth seeing, like Capitol Hill (about 3+ miles) or the Smithsonian (2 miles or so). The Cherry Blossoms were blooming so the whole area looked lovely. The beauty of this locale is that you really needn't use a car to get around because you are walking distance to at least two different metro stations. Farragut North is a tad over a quarter of mile away and Dupont Circle Station is around a third of a mile away. I loved the fact that I could hoof it to the metro rather than deal with driving through the cluster mess of DC traffic which, like most large city traffic patterns, reminds me of being on one of those crazy coasters at Six Flags without the thrill part. FYI: if you do drive, there is parking available at the hotel but it's $37 a night. Space is limited and larger vehicles may not fit so be advised.

The Beacon has a decent restaurant within it's walls with tasty but hotel-priced meals. The hotel does offer a nice little perk for guests: show your room key when dining at the Beacon Grill and they knock somewhere between 10 and 15 % off of your meal bill (or at least they did during my stay. Ask about it). I recommend the Manhattan Omelet for breakfast for all the other salmon lovers out there. Yum. There's also room service at limited hours and a nice indoor bar for getting tanked up when the mood calls for it. I didn't get a chance to check out the Beacon's Sky Bar on the roof top (it's seasonal) but I hear from some of my colleagues that the view around the city at sunset is pretty awesome.

The rooms are comfy and there's wi-fi available as well. If you absolutely feel the need to work out (even though walking around this cool city is a must), the hotel has a little fitness center. I'm told they also have some sort of deal with the nearby YMCA as well.

I didn't see a lot of stuff right outside as far as shopping goes but I found out that there's a Whole Foods nearby (about a 1/3 of a mile away, plus or minus) and a CVS too. In fact, there's a shopping area not too far away with restaurants etc so it's worth the walk.

My only (minor) complaint was that the doors on the rooms slam loudly when the guests don't take the time to close them properly. It can shake things a little and be a bit of a pain but it's certainly not a deal breaker. I felt safe and comfortable in this hotel and would absolutely stay here again, hopefully for pleasure instead of business, next time. It was a nice experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PioneerValley
Thank you ever so much for sharing your comments about your recent experience at The Beacon Hotel. Comments such as yours provide us the fuel to continue in our effort to provide a welcoming and hospitable environment in which our guests fully enjoy our city. We are also pleased to know that you found our value, location and high level of service to be exceptional.
We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.
Billings, Montana
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The quality of service is truly amazing. The staff are courteous, informative and very helpful. They made our stay at the Beacon one to remember. We did not experience anything negative about this hotel to talk about. Checking in was hassle free. After a long drive to DC it felt really good to walk into a hotel that make you feel appreciated. Our room was not ready but the staff took our information's and text us as soon as the room was available. Now to our surprised we got to the room and for a moment thought it was a mistake. We immediately called down to the front desk only to be told that we were selected for a complimentary upgrade. The room was specious and immaculate. What a way to capped a long day. The hotel is located by Scott circle and DuPont Circle is less than a 10 minutes walk. DC is a very fascinaty city with a lot of history. The hotel offer parking for $40 a night. It is very convenient with unlimited access to your vehicle. We loved our stay and recommend it for its quality of service and access.

Room Tip: You can purchase metro passes and tour tickets at the hotel. The tour bus pick up at the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ChrisMadMT
SteveRipai, Front Office Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
We appreciate your kind review and look forward to your next visit
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2014

This hotel gave me the best price in the area. I also stayed at the Best Western "Georgetown" not far away, but I much preferred the Beacon. Clean and quiet, very comfortable, very nice decor and furnishings. Great soap, too! lol. Location is superb, close enough to the subway (Farragut stations) and within walking distance of "The Mall" (just up from the White House). The hotel has a very nice bar / restaurant with specials. I had the half price burger. Great! Lots of restaurants nearby in all directions. Just a few short blocks north is the gay village with a number of restaurants and bars. Also plenty of shopping dispersed in the area. Safe area for walking. You can ask for a free day pass to the YMCA across the street - the Y has a nice pool, work out areas, saunas, etc. Beacon has just a small gym with a few pieces of equipment. Since it was March, the rooftop bar was closed, but I would love to go back and see it in the summer! Front desk staff weren't the friendliest or most helpful, but otherwise it was a great visit! Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Allen M
Thank you very much for staying at the Beacon Hotel for your recent visit to Washington, DC. We would like to express sincere appreciation to you for providing us your feedback. We want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything exceeds their expectations. I am sorry that was not the case with our front desk staff. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns. Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. Please feel free to contact me at 202-296-2100 or email me directly at s.ripai@capitalhotelswdc.com. We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.
Macedonia, Ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The location of this hotel is convenient to everything. Was upgraded to King Jr. suite after mixup with my room and the amenities in that room was perfect. Booked through Book-it.com and later saw a better rate including free internet and 1/2 price parking directly on the hotel website which was really disappointing as I waited as long as posssible hoping to get the best deal. I give the hotel a 4 because of internet surcharge. Usually internet is included with cost the room so I was disappointed with that.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank mjmClevOh
Thank you very much for staying at the Beacon Hotel for your recent visit to Washington, DC. We would like to express our genuine appreciation to you for taking the time to provide us your constructive feedback. We hope that he will come back soon.
Tampa
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Good, once I got past front desk troubles. Desk did not communicate my needs to service personnel, so I waited 2, 3 hours for help and then had to call again. One night man in the restaurant area Eric was so kind, and I really valued his sensitivity, so that changed my whole perspective. Thank you Eric.

I've stayed here before and there is usually some trouble at front desk but all else is fine.

Room Tip: Oh, and I did get led astray by a suggestion re alternate parking by someone at the desk. On Saturda...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much for staying at the Beacon Hotel for your recent visit to Washington, DC. We are also grateful to you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review of our hotel and Eric in the restaurant. We take our guest feedback very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable accommodations. I am concerned however with your comments about our front desk staff and apologize on their behalf. Your word will be heard loudly, and that I will for my part take it upon myself to show your comments and discuss this issue with all our team. This certainly is not how we wish to be remembered and we thank you for making it a point to let us. Again, we are extremely apologetic and want you to know that your total satisfaction is will always be our number one goal. We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed there 4/16-19, the rate was $127 per night. The room was very nice and clean. The staff were all very professional and friendly. My only complaint was that you could hear the wind wiping and howling through the windows. Also walls a bit thin. The food was amazing. The area was lovely. Went to a beautiful church down the block and walked to the restaurants and National Geographic museum. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to DC.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your very gracious comments they are indeed very much appreciated and will be shared with our team. We look forward to your return visit.