“Hidden Gem”

Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters
Ranked #112 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This my second stay. Even with them hosting a NYE party I enjoyed my stay. Management seemed to be in control. Once again I had a great stay. Only thing the restaurant is not open for dinner on holidays. Although there are tons of other choices near by.

• Stayed: December 2013
SteveRipai, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review of our hotel and its staff. We are truly happy to know that you enjoyed our hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed here for NYE 2013/14. Check In went well, but there is no place to really drop off luggage if you do not want to pay $35 for valet (Which is very high for a hotel guest). We are local and found free parking near by. Arriving at 4PM to check in, we pulled up on the street and used flashers to quickly unload our luggage. The pull up area is so small that only about 3-4 cars can fit. If you are by yourself this may be a problem because street parking is not allowed from 4-6:30 so your car can not sit there very long with the car unattended. When we got to the room it was an ok size for two people. I wouldn't try to have more than one other couple stop by because there would be no room. The bathroom was pretty small for a hotel. There was no vanity to place toiletries, only a pedestal sink. They went the cheap route and installed a shelf that really only fit a few bath products. No Makeup or curling iron would fit.The toilet was so close to the wall you had to sit sideways to use it, which was very uncomfortable. I wanted to order room service about 6pm but was informed that the hotel was not serving food due to the NYE party. Seriously this was a bad idea because most people would want to eat before starting the NYE drinking. I was very dissappointed that I was in a warm hotel and had to travel through the cold to find food.

Now on to the party. First of all, I will never attend another Grandiose Party. Never. For NYE I expect the party to be live and jumping by 10pm- 10:30 at the latest. We arrived at 9:40 (for the included buffet, that was ran through and empty) and stayed until about 10:30 and decided to try to come back when there were more people, it was completly dead. Now I know why. Drinks were ridicuosly priced at $16 for a small drink of Ciroc (all liquor was the same price, no rail available) and beers were $9. I dont mind paying at the most $10-12 and $4-6 for a beer, but $16 for mostly sprite? I'll pass. Also, Grandiose advertised half price cocktals until 10pm. We brought some at 9:45 and was charged full price. We also tried to get a nice professional pic but the machine was broken. The company they hired was pretty "bootleg". I mean really, that was annoying.

Oh and did I also mention that we were told by the Hotel staff that the "party" was part of the "grill" and would not let guests walk thru to the party area. Women with little dresses on had to leave the hotel and walk around to the back, stand in line and wait to be ID'd. Isn't that the point of staying at the hotel to avoid the cold? They did not care about this.

Thank God we had been in earlier and had wrist bands because the line was so long and they were checking in people so skow we would have missed the 2oz included champagne toast. Weak.We got back in around 11:45 after my husband busted us to the front. We brought one drink to be social and try to keep our buzz alive but im oretty sure this party killed it. By 1am we left and found other entertainment.

Im saying this again, I Will never stay here or party with Grandiose again! Waste of $$$$$$. Please find a BB or another hotel in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shakuwra C
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I received a very good rate during the New Year's Eve holiday season 2013/4 through tripadvisor. Otherwise the rate would have been par for Washington, DC...out the box. The hotel is extremely clean, the beds are excellent, room amenities are good. The bad was the bathroom was small (be careful stepping into the toilet instead of the floor when you get out of the shower), the doorman didn't help with the luggage from the room to the car, the restaurant has a limited "fusion" menu. All in all, for the value and price I was very happy. Tripadvisor gave a 50% off valet parking which was a plus in DC. Oh, BTW I felt safe in the neighborhood

Room Tip: The $30 up charge was worth it for the bigger room for the entire stay. Check into it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write the astonishing review of our hotel and very nice comment about the staff. We at Beacon Hotel look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

December 31 we checked into the Beacon for the New Year's Eve event. We had tickets in advanced. The hotel and the entire staff are great. They were amazing during and after the event. The hotel was very cleaned. The room was large with lot of counter space for drink with a full kitchen. Getting into the event was very easy. We party all night with not a single problem. This was one of the best hotel party . A late check out 1pm was truely appreciated after partying till 4 am. I will be back on December 31. Thanks to the wonderful staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your wonderful visit. we hope you will visit again soon

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My partner and I booked this hotel because of the advertised NYE party/room package. I live in Baltimore and I'm familiar with the location on the hotel in DC becuz we hang out and party in the area. I figured with the awesome package deal and location I couldnt go wrong....and I was correct!! We arrived early to check in and im glad we did becuz the valet parking situation was a little unorganized but everything else was uphill from there. The room was very nice and very roomy. WE EVEN HAD A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE ON ICE WAITING FOR US WHEN WE OPENED THE DOOR ;) We opted to take a walk for a pre-party dinner and ran right into Vapianos (I love this place!!). After eating we took a short walk to a CVS near by, turned the corner and ran right into a Krisy Kreme, Panera Bread and Starbucks!!!! Awesome!!!!
We returned to the hotel and had a GREAT TIME at the NYE party. Everyone was dressed nice, the music was great and there was a bar at every turn. Man...we had a ball. No violence....no drama -just FUN!
We upgraded to a 3pm check out the next day which was NEEDED cuz we partied til almost 4am. THE FRONT DESK STAFF WAS AMAZING!! I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SkorpioMa40

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a splendid appraisal of your stay at the Beaon Hotel. We are also very grateful for the compliments on the staff. We truly do look forward to your return, should your travels bring you back to our city

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Wow checked in for the New Year eve party and did not get a good experience at first, but the staff later made it up. The first room we had was not the right type and they quickly changed our room. The staff were very very helpful with parking. The party was a blast. It was a fun night. We had a good time. The staff give us a late check-out at 1pm. The room we ended staying in was way better, larger and comfortable for me and my friends. I later spoke with the manager who was very nice and toke his time to explained to me the extra security measured they had in place. They authorized your credit card for $100 and you must registered all the occupant in your room. You must also use your room key to access the elevator. I think it was all worth it as I felt safe with my friends. This is a great hotel and I will stay if I ever have to. The best hotel staff in DC. Stay at the Beacon and you will get your money worth.

2  Thank Robin F

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor, but more importantly, thank you for having selected the Beacon Hotel as your home away from home while visiting our city. We are delighted that you found our service to be of your liking. We look forward to your return, should your travels bring you back to our fair city.
We also wish you a Happy an Prosperous New Year.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Beacon is a small jewel set in the very convenient and safe neighborhood of the DuPont Circle - lots of restaurants, a Whole Foods and CVS close by. A bit too cold when I was there to hike to the Mall area, but the buses are easy to catch and the Metro not far, so access to the Mall and other sights is easy. As a bonus, the room had a fridge, microwave and stove, so on Christmas Day when a lot of restaurants shut down and it was too cold to wander outside, I was able to prepare a cozy feast in the quiet and warmth of the room. And, great price for the security, convenience and ambience. I will defintely make it my D.C. home when I'm there.

Room Tip: I did not check out the pool or the spa - not enough time!
3  Thank BarbH1980

Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your very gracious comments they are indeed very much appreciated and will be shared with every members of our team We look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.