“Very good value”

Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters
Ranked #112 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was very pleased with the Beacon. I particularly liked the comfortable bed. Its white bedspread was, to me, a statement about the hotel's commitment to keeping things laundered frequently. There was some construction noise from a nearby project, but that is pretty much par for the course in Washington, DC.
The Beacon's location is very good. While it is not super close to any one Metro stop, it is easy walking distance to several stops on several lines. On a nice day, you can walk to pretty much anywhere in DC from the hotel.
My only complaint would be that the heating and cooling systems are quite noisy. I ended up turning mine off at night, but this would not be an option in the summer.
There is a charge for accessing the internet on your computer.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and was rewarded by being put on the 8th floor. (There are nine in the bui...
1  Thank RNatha
SteveRipai, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

We would like to express our sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to share with everyone how much you enjoyed the Beacon Hotel. We look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Good things I like about this hotel are location, value, rooftop bar, nice restaurant and onsite parking. The location is relative close proximity to the major attractions. The tour bus stops in front of the hotel.  The train stations are within a 5 minutes’ walk. As compare to other hotels in DC the price is better than other hotels. You get a lot more for your money because the room was specious and very comfortable. They have a very nice rooftop bar with a wonderful view. The restaurant was very busy on Sunday and we were unable to get in early for brunch. I know to make reservation in advance the next time I am in DC. The hotel offers valet parking only which lead to the BAD. Parking at the hotel is almost $40.00 a night and they also charge for WI-FI. I got my WI-FI charges waived because I spoke to the manger and told him that I will not be coming back. I stayed at this hotel on several occasion and always paid for internet but this time I decided not to because the coffee shops give it for free if you buy a $3.00 coffee. I know the manager Steve for more than 5 years during my first trip to DC. The awesome are the people you will meet. The staff are just AWESOME. They are always smiling and greeting everyone. They seem to know what they are doing.  Mohammed was very helpful in arranging a tour for us.  We will recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a hotel a class, comfort, service, value and most in importantly a fun and welcoming environment.  I will return if I get my free WI-FI as promise by Steve.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank VMur

It was a pleasure receiving the comments of VMur and hope that he will consider returning to the Beacon hotel soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Beacon hotel is comfortable and in a good location for setting out to see the sights of Washington DC. Can walk past coffee shops in the mornings as you get ready for your day of sight seeing, museum visiting (and there are so many of them!). The Bistro in the hotel is good and the service provided by staff is good too. Not over the top. I was ill during my visit and the hotel staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Check if there is any construction going on when you visit
1  Thank smo_yamei

The Management and Staff at the Beacon Hotel thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Washington, DC. Your comments are valuable and greatly appreciated. We hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I am a frequent business traveler and stayed at the Beacon for two nights. The Beacon belongs to a group called World Hotels, a grouping of independent hotels, which is why I had never stayed there before (I'm generally loyal to the Hilton brand).

I found the Beacon to be more than adequate - in fact quite good. The price point is a few ticks lower than other downtown hotels with just as high quality. The hotel is within walking distance of the White House, the Farragut North metro, the National Mall, and everything else you would want in downtown DC.

When I arrived, the person at the desk (Halimah), was exceptionally friendly. Without asking, she upgraded me to a suite which had a livingroom, kitchenette, and a really large bathroom, so I have no idea what a normal room looks like. The bed, pillows, and comforter were super comfy and the room was updated and clean.

I used the restaurant one night and had a very tasty squash soup and salad, both well presented and good. The gym in the basement was small but had the treadmill I needed and a TV.

Overall, I like the Beacon and would stay there again. I gave it four stars only because I really try to save five stars for truly five star, superlative hotels and, while I don't have any true complaints, the Beacon is not quite there. 4.5 stars would have been what I would have chosen.

Room Tip: If you can get room 225, it was a very nice suite.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We would like to express our sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to write the astonishing review of our hotel and very nice comment about the staff. It is always rewarding to know that guests realize the hard work of the staff. Halimah is truly humbled by your kind assessment and want to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. The Beacon Hotel is a quality option and we thank for sharing this message. We look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at the Becon Hotel & Corporate Quarters for a quick getaway over the weekend. The hotel is fine -- location is terrific, two blocks from Dupon Circle. The special rate we got was great and particularly that it included valet parking (which separately was very expensive). The room was a decent size, with a mini-kitchen including a full fridge. The biggest disappointment was the bathroom which was pretty small with an older tub and the heating in the bathroom was very poor. The heating unit in the room also made a lot of noise. The hotel towels were also very small. Our TV did not work -- but a call downstairs resulted in a quick repair. All in all a fine place-- nothing spectacular but great location and we got it for a good price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Nice, clean boutique hotel, but wasn't overly impressed.

Cons -
Parking for our SUV, which we were told wouldn't fit in the underground parking, was $40 a night. The front desk staff and bellmen seemed a bit bothered, although it would be that we were there over Thanksgiving....maybe they didn't want to be there. In general, I didn't feel like it was a family friendly hotel, but more of a place for business travelers.

Pros -
Clean rooms, good closet space, safe area of town. It is walkable to the White House. I think my GPS said .9 mile and we had 3 kids under 8 walk it with us.

However, there weren't really any perks to coming back if we were in the area again. Based on our pre-trip research, we'd probably pick a different hotel since they seem to all be within the same price range. Also, considering no complimentary breakfast is offered, we'd consider staying somewhere closer to a coffee shop.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

We thank you for choosing the Beacon Hotel during your recent visit to DC. We are truly sorry you felt we were not family friendly, as not only do we have a childrens menu, we offer our weekend guest unique savings in our restaurant, For Thanksgiving Dinner we offered a child friendly price, and served over 25 children on that day, and our hotels has 66 Suites with Kitchenettes that were designed specifically to welcome families and accommodate their needs.
I appreciate your comments and regret that you did not perceive the benefits we offer families with the particular accommodations we offer.
We hope that should you return to DC, that you will consider our hotel.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. Staff very attentive, the rooms clean, halls bright, and fairly fancy front common areas. Good neighborhood of Washington DC (Scott Circle, five block due north of White House). Price was good, but probably due to slow holiday weekend.
I would definitely come here again. A 4.5 to 5- star, but not as sexy as a 6 start Vegas hotel or a W.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review of our hotel and its staff. We are truly happy to know that you enjoyed our hotel. We look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.