“Hidden art-deco gem in DC.”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #52 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Columbia, MD
“Hidden art-deco gem in DC.”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I lived in this neighborhood for 10yrs and stayed at the Carlyle Suites on three occassions. It was consistently outstanding all three times. You feel like you're in South Beach. It's super clean; the staff is pleasant; the rooms are updated and modern with TempurPedic beds. It is also in the heart of the nightlife as it's between the trendy neighborhoods of Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, U Street, Adams Morgan and Downtown is also walkable. The Sunday brunch is great too. I also like the fact that their toilletries are green. On one stay, we had our two 100 dogs as we were between settleing homes. They were more than happy to let us keep our dogs. And to top it off, the price is usually cheaper than most of the sterile chains. I recommend this hotel to all my friends and family who visit DC.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
USA
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Traveling with my wife and four year-old, I generally try to get a suite-type room so we can self-cater a bit and have some elbow room. A lot of the standard chain options for such things were either booked up or very expensive that weekend, and I read about Carlyle Suites' limited free on-premises parking, so I decided to go with that.

The hotel is in a leafy neighborhood among the embassies a few blocks NE from Dupont Circle, so the area has a lot to offer in terms of restaurants and shopping. We were able to pull in front to check in, and I was told that yes, there was parking available, which was right around the building. The lot is small and tight, but it did the trick. The hotel has a nice, art deco decor. Our room was good-sized, and although it was a suite, just one room and a small kitchen, with sort of an alcove with a small dining table, and a couch and coffee table. Nice big, comfortable king sized bed. The bathroom featured a shower only. It's an older building and some of the surfaces and carpet in the room showed a bit of wear, but overall the room was quite clean. The kitchen featured a small fridge, a few small appliances, a small cooktop and a sink. There was a decent offering of dishes and cookware. There was free wireless internet that worked fairly well, a bit slow at times but not bad at all.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the Dupont Circle Metro stop, and that's dragging a four year-old along on a 95 degree day. Cabs to and from the Mall ran about 10 bucks for the three of us.

There is a bar downstairs that I didn't visit, but it looked nice enough. There is also a restaurant that offered a pretty good breakfast buffet, with made to order waffles.

The price was great compared to what the alternatives were that weekend. The free internet and parking made it a real bargain. The staff was helpful but not overwhelmingly so.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank dvdmgsr
Oklahoma City
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I could go on for days, but I will try to narrow my review to the highlights:
- Location, location, location! You couldn't ask for a better one. Just a few blocks from two metro stations; wonderful DuPont Circle location on an arm of Embassy Row offered varied cultural delights from restaurants, cafes, bookstores, you name it; a dog park is only one block away if you want to get away and relax with some canine pals!

- The service was amazing. I have never had a quicker check in or check out. Once I called the main desk and had to hang up because I received a cell phone call; they actually called me back a few minutes later to see if they could assist me. Each day we were greeted with friendly smiles when we left and even friendlier smiles when we returned.

- The hotel lobby, as well as our room, was impeccably clean. We didn't have the best view, but who cares? When you're in DC, you don't spend much time in your room! Also, the air conditioner worked very well; this was a plus considering the unseasonably hot weather we encountered. And by the way, I have never had a cleaner shower in a hotel. Finally, yes ... the drapes are dark. But they do the job of keeping out the sunlight!

- I'm not sure why people complain about the noise. Yes, we could hear doors slamming from the hallway, but I have NEVER stayed in a hotel where that wasn't the case. In fact, I have spent many nights in hotel rooms hearing the noise of next door neighbors through the walls; I didn't have this problem at the Carlyle.

- We slept like rocks on the Tempurpedic mattresses; I've never stayed at a hotel that offered this luxury amenity!

- The price was GREAT.

- The only negative, if you really want one, is that the smokers tend to stand right outside the front door. I despise cigarette smoke, so this was an unwelcome obstacle leaving and returning. The hotel would be best suited to offer a smoking area behind the hotel in the parking lot. Oh yeah! They have a parking lot! Another plus!

I would highly recommend the Carlyle. Give it a try on your next DC jaunt!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Very comfortable, nicely decorated and clean room with two double beds, large bathroom and small fully furnished kitchen. In a corner front unit but no noise from the street. Curtains on side had to be kept drawn because of apartment building next door. The beds were very comfortable. Free WiFi that actually worked! The location is great, just a short walk from DuPont Circle, easily manageable even in the crippling heat and humidity of that weekend. Got a good rate through gta. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Conveniently located just three blocks from Dupont Circle, the Carlyle provides one room suites which is what my wife and 19 year old daughter and I need as accommodations. They advertise themselves as the premier art deco "suite" hotel in Washington DC.

We did find an Art Deco Hotel, The floors of the small lobby were gorgeous as were some of the other appointments.

The rooms however were a real disappointment. The picture on their website shows a bright, airy modern space which must have been Photo-shopped. Instead what we found was a different space, clean and tidy but unimaginative, dimly lit, with dank grayish blue walls, cottage cheese ceilings and dark funereal drapes which made this failed upgrade a depressing scene.

When we asked for another room the clerk seemed surprised at my request, even while the guest next to me asked what the awful smell was and when would it dissipate.
The second room was not any better, but it was late at night so we decided to suck up the nearly $400 room charge Luckily, we found another wonderful (as it turns out) alternative hotel starting the following day.

The fold out couch which would be a part of any suite was tired and sorry looking and would be better suited for a student lounge. We decided not to use it.
The smell of paint coming up from the basement didn't help, nor did the sound of workers cutting down a tree outside our window early the following morning.
The suite's kitchenette was spartan, drab and reminded me of the one in Jackie Gleason's show, "The Honeymooners", only with a microwave. The bathroom was modern but very small.

The beds were creaky and uncomfortable. There was a flat panel TV which we didn't watch because we just wanted to be out of there.
We felt that it was better to just fall asleep and start all over the next day.

That was another story. The walls were so thin that a group of guests across the hall could be heard repeatedly opening and closing the door. They were boisterous, loud and partied hearty and kept us awake. Finally at 3:30 am. I called downstairs and the night clerk said that he would take care of it. He obviously didn't. They kept at it and by 4:30 they finally stopped their noise. I can't blame a hotel if they register unruly guests unbeknownst to them, but once they get a complaint at 3:30 am they must shut them down to protect their other guests. That I do blame them for.

Eager to depart, and because we were leaving our reservation early, I was informed that there would be a $50 early departure fee, which I refused to pay. They did finally waive it and apologized.

I probably wouldn't complain much if this room were $159 with breakfast buffet included.That is what I feel, in my experience, it is worth. At almost $400 per night I'd much prefer to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank drbudak
New York
Reviewed July 11, 2010

This hotel is simply excellent. It has a fantastic art deco motif that is carried thru the property nicely. We were able to get a weekend rate that was very good. The location is very nice - located within walking distance ro Dupont Circle area as well as the super hip U Street area. Also, easy to walk to a couple of Metro stations. The rooms are very nice and include a sitting area and kitchenette, but eat (especially Sunday brunch) in their courtyard restaurant.
The only problem is parking - they have a small lot (15 cars) which is actually free if you get a space; other than that you must find street parking or find a public lot nearby - no valet service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison, WI USA
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and i just completed a 6 day stay at the Carlyle Suites. What a gem! Incredibly convenient location. 5 minute walk to Dupont Circle Metro and all the shops and restaurants of that area. Easy to get to all the attractions of DC. Great neighborhood - lots of beautiful older townhouses nearby as well as many embassies. Great restaurants nearby, but also nice to have a kitchenette (with a small fridge, stovetop, dishes, utensils, pots & pans) to save on eating out expenses (and a Safeway grocery less than 2 blocks away). Hotel is decorated in Art-Deco style, with modern touches (flat screen TVs scattered throughout building). Room was clean and well appointed. Free-wifi. Nice flat screen TV and good cable choices. Tempur-Pedic beds, also laundry (coin-op) on site. Staff is friendly and incredibly well-trained - always helpful and polite. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple