“Very Good Suite Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Columbus, Ohio
“Very Good Suite Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

The positives: great location in quiet residential neighborhood four blocks from Dupont Circle and two blocks from 16th street; large spotless room with small kitchenette; firm but comfortable bed; accommodating staff; bar/restaurant on site; moderately priced for area. Negatives (minor): no ice machine (but staff will get ice); small bathroom; difficult shower controls and weak shower flow (8th floor room).

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kiddoc1940
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear kiddoc1940,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am glad you loved the location and the overall accommodation. As of the ice machine, we do provide ice upon request, you just needed to call the front desk. I know we will get a five star rating from you on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Best Wishes, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Please let me begin this with explaining that I was not happy with the hotel when I first arrived, I was under the impression that the rooms would be a bit more luxurious for the price. Sadly I was mistaken. However, I did this an EXCELLENT rating and it is to simply recognize two gentlemen that know and understand what the word Customer Service means. Abou and Mediombo are the two gentlemen that truly made our stay top notch. We only stayed at the hotel for one night, and these two Gentlemen treated us like we had known each other for years. The apologized for the room and they were heavily booked, then Abou comes to my room with a bottle of White Wine for my fiance and (6) little pieces of chocolate. Abou was so amazing he even recommended us a wonderful Italian Restaurant, The Dupont Italian Kitchen, YOU MUST EAT HERE! The food is amazing, the service Top Notch! and the owner is true Gentleman. We were there to celebrate my Fiance's birthday and it was definitely a wonderful time thank you to our friends Abou and Mediombo! From our hearts to yours! Thank you for treating us so well, it will be a pleasure to stay with you again in the future. Oh, and please let me tell you about the bed...Oh MY! This was the most incredible wonderful sleep that I have had in year. King Sized Tempurpedic Foam Mattress, that was pretty amazing.

Cheers,

Andrew Lausen

Room Tip: Ask for Mediombo or Abou and they will treat you like the king or queen that you are! Trust Me! Tre...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew L
Dear Andrew L,
It's just an honor for me to have team members like Abou and Mediombo. The Staff just love what they do and do it with passion and personal touch. I am glad Abou and Mediombo turned your sad impression into a memorable birthday celebration. Please let me know next time you are here so I can personally meet you. We look forward to seeing again. Best Wishes, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks during a research trip to the Smithsonian Institution. The manager upgraded me to a suite when he learned how long I was staying, and the room was perfect for a solo traveler working long hours. The room was warm and comfortable (awesome bed!), the wi-fi, was reliable, and the kitchen was adequate to cook simple dinners. There is a supermarket nearby, and the DuPont Circle metro is an easy 5-minute walk away. The area has good variety of restaurants and shops. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Back rooms overlook the hotel bar (noisy in the evening) and alley (noisy in the morning) so front s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank BucktownTraveler
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear BucktownTraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. Staying in a hotel for two weeks just sounds like staying at home away from home and I am glad to hear that you've been upgraded to a larger room and the Wifi was reliable for you. Let us know in advance the room you occupied so we can make sure you get the same room type when you return. We look forward to welcoming you back. Sincerely, Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager
Berwick, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We recently stayed at Carlyle Suites Hotel in Washington DC for five nights. We arrived very late at night and unfortunately had to deal with a very rude member of staff on the front desk. There was apparently some mix-up with our booking (no reason was given) and for the first night we were given a room which was not what we had booked and told that we would be moved the next day. Obviously we weren't happy, but not a lot you can do about it at midnight!

The next day my husband went down and spoke with the front office manager (Simon A) who couldn't have been nicer. He was very apologetic and went out of his way to correct the situation. He upgraded us to their best suite and gave us vouchers for a breakfast buffet in their restaurant which was really lovely. All of the staff we encountered from then on were friendly, courteous and extremely helpful, especially Mediumbo (we know this is probably not how to spell his name but we did want to mention him specifically).

The suite we were in had 2 double beds and a sofa bed, a small kitchen and a bathroom. It was quite ok for our family of four and the location in Dupont Circle is excellent. It was very easy to get to everything we wanted to visit and the Metro is simple to use once you get the hang of it. Overall we ended up having a lovely stay at the Carlyle Suites and would like to thank Simon A and his staff for their excellent service. We would highly recommend this accommodation to anyone.

4 Thank Kirsty G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and the service they provided. The accommodations were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The location was great. There were many restaurants and stores located nearby. The staff was suburb. I had an emergency change of plans and they willingly worked worked with me to meet my needs. Thanks Mediombo.

4 Thank Mike S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Nice large rooms and a good breakfast buffet. Clean rooms and located quite well as it´s near It's near Dupont Circle Metro. The hotel itself is located in the embassy district where where it is quiet.The staff was helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Anders J
Susu A, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2014
Heloo GCarnaffan, Thank-you for taking time out to share your feedback about the Carlyle. I’m saddened that you felt one of our team members were a little standoff-ish. I can assure you that ALL of our team members truly embrace hospitality and love being of service to our guests. We have a lot of exciting things going on at the Carlyle, one of them being renovations. So when travel brings you back to DC be sure to check us out.

Happy Holidays from all of us at the Carlyle.

-Susu
Hope Mills, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel twice before. It has always been comfortable. It's near DuPont Circle Metro. It has all the amenities you need, there are food stores nearby you can pick up basics for the room, and of course, there are restaurants located all about. The rooms I've gotten are always clean. You can't go wrong here.

Ray Santini