“Beautiful Art-Deco hotel near DuPont Circle”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here with my 12-year-old son for 4 nights during spring break. The rooms were very clean, modern and comfortable, and we especially liked its location in a safe, quiet residential area near Embassy Row and DuPont Circle. It was a quick 5-minute walk to the Metro. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the kitchenette, microwave, Keurig, and refrigerator were great for quick breakfasts before our day-trips. We definitely will return on our next trip to DC

Room Tip: The forced air heating unit was excellent. We were there during a cold snap, but our room was on a h...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcia F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,236)

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I was much more pleased the first time I stayed here. The hotel is still in a quiet area of D.C. within easy walking distance of the Metro and DuPont Circle. It still has very comfy Tempurpedic beds. But the room I had this time was not as clean and very, very worn. Moreover, it was on the third floor overlooking a back alley that was filled with noisy mechanicals and the dumpster that gets emptied at 4am. At least that's what I think the loud bang was. I choose this hotel for its peace and quiet, and I didn't get anything close to it this time.

I was also annoyed, albeit only slightly, when the housekeeper failed to restock the Keurig K-cups in my room. When I called the front desk, they told me I could come down and get some. Thanks, I guess. How about you bring them up?

I also have a complaint about their room rate policy, if it even is that. I just don't like it when any hotel advertises a rate and then tells you they can't give you that rate on the dates you need, EVEN THOUGH THE HOTEL HAS ROOMS available. Yes, you can have a room, but no, you can't have it at that rate. While they may have the right to do this, it is a business practice that I find tremendously offensive.

This is definitely not a 5-star hotel. It is probably not a 4-star hotel either. But it is a solid 3-star that needs some updating and a review of its pricing policy before I will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 0567cg
Simon A, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear 0567cg,
I am so sorry to hear that your second stay was not as quite nice as the first one. As you already know, this is not the impression we want you to depart with. Please help me know a little more about what happened so we can improve it and make it right for you. My direct e-mail is sattagba@carlylesuites.com or you can contact me directly at the hotel number 202.234.3200 ext 4901.
I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 21, 2014

The hotel was very nice , great art deco decoration , really nice rooms with tasteful furnishings , the staffs there were always ready to help and were really friendly , the checkin was quick even though i was early . My bed was comfortable , the room was big enough , i had a very nice two nights there . Great location .

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank lucy x

Dear lucy x,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with others. I am very happy to hear that your two nights were very nice and you found the staff very helpful.
We know we will see you again on your next visit to Washington.
Best Regards! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We spent 4 nights in a "Grande Double Double" suite. Nice, stylish Art-Deco style property in a great location 5 minutes walk from DuPont Circle, with all the amenities that brings. Staff were efficient and courteous, the room was more than comfortable and spacious having both a seating area and kitchenette. The only negative aspect of the room is that there is only a shower, and no bath.

Otherwise, a very nice place to stay, and good value for Washington.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The location in Dupont Circle was perfect for checking out DC, the staff was incredibly nice and talk with you like a friend, and the overall style and quality of the hotel is top-notch. I stayed for about a week, which was costly for my minimal budget, but the hotel staff gave me a discount to help lessen the load. I highly recommend the Carlyle Suites if you're wanting a great place to stay in Washington DC!

Room Tip: Ask them about getting a discount on your room (military, student, promotional, etc.). Also, bring a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TheShoe1990
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The Carlyle Suites was very much my delightful 'home' for four nights during a recent stay in Washington. I could not have asked for a happier experience! My room was fantastic, very comfortable and clean - and staff could not have been kinder or more helpful on every occasion! Among the many warm, friendly staff who helped make this such an enjoyable stay - Karen and Michelle at reception were exemplary in their care and helpfulness. The location in DC was absolutely superb for me, too. A great part of town! I would very happily recommend the hotel to friends and colleagues, and I look forward very much to returning there myself soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank ardentone

Dear ardentone,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful five star review about us. Your kind messages were transmitted to Karen and Michelle for being exemplary during your stay, and they are very happy you mentioned their names in your review. We can't wait to welcome you back "Home" on your next visit. Best Wishes! Simon Attagba, Front Office Manager

Staff is AMAZING!!
Not only kind, but helpful, outgoing, friendly, patient, accommodating and refreshing!

Rooms are clean and retro 1940's style- well maintained!
Kitchenette available, which was great for my long stay. Restaurant had good food too.

Traveling with pets, no problem.

Only thing is, if you want to sleep in, request a room AWAY from the garbage bins in the alley!! LOUD! And put a do not disturb sign in your door, cuz the maids are ON IT. :)

Michelle was great!
Taj was great!
All the doormen were sweet and helpful! THANK YOU for a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2014