Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
The Watergate
$330
$239
  • Pool
Fairmont Washington, D.C. Georgetown(Washington DC)
$229
  • Restaurant
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
$256
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
$169
  • Restaurant
JW Marriott Washington, DC(Washington DC)
$299
$188
$126
Official Website
2,263 results
All reviewsdupont circledog parkmemory foamnew hampshiresmall kitchenettekeurig coffee makeru streetcorner roomnice neighborhoodwine hourstreet parkingsafe neighborhoodfew blocksfront desk staffembassy rowsitting areabeds were very comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This property is situated on what is an otherwise residential street. We drove right by it when we first arrived. The property is from 1930's heyday and does have some character. In some senses, it is a little awkward because it is not quite historic, not quite luxury, not quite a business hotel...etc. It is pretty well situated and is close to the metro (clearly a selling point for the property). There is a nice bar and a passable brunch restaurant (not quite good). Our rooms were clean (but in an "older room clean" kind of way. The decor was nice and updated, but the structure itself was a bit dated (like with doorways with doors removed years ago). Our rooms had kitchenettes and a small make-up application area...but were not useful to us (I could see someone who wanted to stay in and cook liking this place).

The staff was friendly and nice. Not always helpful, but they tried, and we got all our needs met in the end. I would call the service at this property "quite good" for the price.

The biggest problem of this property (for me) -- and the reason I will never stay here again -- is the parking, Like I'd mentioned, I first drove right by the property...one reason was that there is nothing at all at the front of the property that would separate it from a residential townhouse. This means there was no valet and no obvious parking. There is a 15-minute side-of-the-street slice of curb, but even that was full (so I never noticed it).

There is a non-descript alley that leads to a small parking area in the back that has a number of spots at strange angles (trying to maximize the space). The parking is complimentary which I am guessing is abnormal for the area. However, if I am staying at a hotel (whether business or pleasure) and spending $250+ a night, I do not expect to have to troll the area looking for street parking (and then having to wake up before I get a ticket in the morning). It was raining hard for most of my stay, and it was miserable trying to find parking each time I got back to the hotel. There is a public parking garage close by, but they charge $43 to park overnight (if you pick your car up after 9:00AM). I couldn't do that just out of principal.

Over the few days I was here, I ended up eating at several other area hotels. Each sported a modern feel and had a valet (or other parking), and a clear drop-off area for patrons. Thinking about my return to the Carlyle and my inevitable search for area parking soured my trip. I am not used to looking at all the other hotels in the areas and feeling like I would be more comfortable at them.

I don't want to sound too negative. If you are not driving and will take the metro everywhere and are looking exactly for a 3-star hotel with kitchenette, this one may be for you. It sounds like this is a very convenient property for the metro. And again, the staff was nice and friendly, and operationally it was fine (not luxury, but fine). I would not give this property a fail in any category except in parking.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Cool_Capybara
dtrezevant, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Good morning Cool_Capybara, My deepest apologies that we simply did not give you our very best of service. Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We have come up with a parking solution with attendants at the front door 24 hrs a day! This will take effect by the end of this month! When you return to Washington DC we hope that you give us another opportunity to show you our best.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 202-735-8915 or at dtrezevant@carlylesuites.com so I may make all of your arrangements personally! My sincere regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Really nice Hotel in a great location with an easy walk to Dupont Circle & restaurants.
Nice Art deco furnishings & atmosphere with a very well laid out room , very comfortable bed and with a good size kitchenette.
Very good price compared to others in the area. I would definitely stay here again.
Parking is "first come first served" so we had to park on the street but this was free on the weekend anyway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fussytripper99
dtrezevant, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Fussytripper99, It was a pleasure to have you with us! We shared all of your comments with each of our team members. Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community! We hope you have a great summer ! ! ! David Trezevant, Resident Mgr.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Carlyle Suites Hotel was a recommendation of the 9:30 Club and we are so glad it was! The hotel was spotless and the staff was friendly and accommodating without being overbearing. Their bar was superb! The bartender made our drinks from scratch with NO POWDERED MIX! Woohoo! We ordered appetizers in the bar as well, which were fresh, beautifully prepared and delicious. The location of the hotel was perfect...we parked our car and walked everywhere we needed to go the entire weekend. The Carlyle is located in a beautiful and safe part of the city, with bars and restaurants galore.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sayersman !! We LOVE our friends at the 9:30 Club! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your experience with us! Mouhcine is truly one of our best bartenders! We are so glad you had such a great time!! We look forward to seeing you again the next time your are in Washington DC. Our best regards, David Trezevant, Resident Mgr.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I really like this hotel. It is within a short walk to the Dupont Circle Metro. The surrounding neighborhood is charming. The hotel has interesting art deco features. The room was clean, had comfortable beds, and a little kitchenette. It suited our needs just perfectly. The room was a little on the small side, but it did not bother us at all since we were only there to sleep. They have a very friendly staff with helpful amenities as an on-site laundry and bar. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013

Good morning Patricia, We are thrilled that you had such a great stay with us! DuPont Circle is simply a great neighborhood to be in! We thank you for choosing us! Sincerely, the Carlyle Suites Hotel Team.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has everything ... Friendly & helpful staff; large rooms with separate dressing area, sofa/sleeper sitting area; large tv that swivels from seating area to bedroom area; a kitchenette w/ Keurig coffee maker, dishware, fridge, microwave, and stovetop; and it close to restaurants, metro, and grocery store.

Our group of 5 stayed here very comfortably for 7 days! It has a cool Gatsby style in exterior and lobby with all modern in room style.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank calgal405
dtrezevant, Manager at Kimpton Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Hello calgal405 ! ! !

Our entire team were humbled by your kind words in your review! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! It is not often we have a chance to serve such a seasoned traveler. We look forward to seeing you next time you are Washington DC - from all of US at the Carlyle Suites Hotel - our deepest regards, David Trezevant, Resident Manager