“Excellent Location”

Ranked #96 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
North Carolina
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at the Capital Hilton over New Year's with my mother. Room was spacious - we had a corner room facing 16th (or 15th?) St. We were downgraded from a junior suite (needed smoking) so this was probably a high category standard room. The hotel will become 100% non-smoking on January 1. Bathroom was in good condition and clean. There was a nice desk and large flat screen TV. The hotel is older so there are clear signs of age and areas needing repair but overall in good condition. The location is ideal - we were mostly heading to theaters and restaurants and all locations were within easy reach. We had breakfast in the restaurant and ate at the lounge one night and the food and service were very good. Service was a strong point with the caveat that occasional persistence was required. My mom booked a massage at the Spa and it was excellent. They took great care of her and she's 81. Taxis were always available and the taxi/valet staff were excellent. I appreciated the location, service and food enough to overlook some of the typical issues of an older hotel. The elevators were also fast.

Room Tip: The food was surprisingly good for a hotel chain restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GregIBrown, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. Your gracious feedback is quite refreshing and very reassuring. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to the Nation's Capital. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was actually attending the US Conference of Mayors Winter Conference this month and was able to experience a week of great service from the hotel. The staff at the bar was INCREDIBLE!
Our server Desi was so accommodating and helpful. She was super friendly and helped with finding great things to do around the city.

Room Tip: MAke sure you ask if your room is near an elevator. My room was near the service elevator and I coul...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Nation's Capital. We appreciate your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Very accommodating of the business traveler...several, well placed outlets, nice shower, comfortable bed, complimentary bottles waters, wifi free if a Hilton gold or higher. Staff was helpful, too, with directions or cab needs. Did not try room service or use the valet. Room rate also felt reasonable rather than a gouging for similar stays I've experienced at other DC area hotels. If room rate is same or close to what i paid this time, i'll be back the next time I'm in town.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife and I were in DC last week to attend the press conference held to release the 2014 report of the Surgeon General on the health effects of smoking. Because this was also the 50th anniversary (hard to believe its been 50 years) of the first report issued by Surgeon General Luther Terry, the press conference was held at the old Executive Office Bldg right next to that big white mansion and it was originally thought that the occupant of that big white house would attend the momentous event. Not. A no show. I worked on the first report and given its historical contribution to public health, I would have thought BO would show up and at least say a few words. Maybe he was busy fixing those pesky computer programs.

We were put up in the Capital Hilton for two days because it was within walking distance of the OEOB. The Hilton has been there it seems forever and typical of hotels in the middle of a large city, you pay for everything. Because we drove to DC via way of Durham (to see a Duke BB game) we had to find a place to park. I had checked the location of several local parking garages but after driving to 3 -- all of which were full -- we decided to just use the valet parking at the hotel. A staggering $47.50 a day!!!

One thing about this Hilton -- and I have generally found at most inner city upscale hotels -- is that the staff do really treat you nice and that was true here as well. Anything you wanted, just ask for it. While the Capital Hilton charges $13 a day for Wi-Fi in your room, the clerk when we checked in made it a point to say, "of course we have free Wi-Fi in the lobby." Which I certainly appreciated and made use of as did many of the folks there.

Rooms were a little on the smallish side, but more than adequate but I think that too is typical of somewhat older inner city hotels. However, the room was nice appointed, appeared clean, with a flat screen TV, but overall nothing special.

While I was at the press conference my wife had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and while it was a little on the expensive side, she said it was extremely good, with large serving sizes and a very attentive wait staff.

We had a government rate of $184 a day, so I suspect the regular room rack rate has to be $200 plus per day. Of course you are right down in the middle of DC, two blocks to the White House and the Mall. One can easily walk to most of the close by attractions such as the Lincoln Memorial, etc. A friend and I walked from the hotel and toured the newly established FDR memorial and the MLK memorial as well as the Korean War and World War II memorials as well as the Vietnam War Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial all in a space of about 4 hours with just very brief stops at each. And that is one of the things you are paying for at the Capital Hilton, the convenience of being down close to some of this country's major tourist stops and because they are all FREE, the room seems kind of a bargain and I could easily see myself staying here again just for that reason.

1 Thank Don_Chattanooga
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Theresa Thomas saved me an enormous amount of time and effort by doing me a solid at the front desk. She helped me by avoiding a trip to Kinkos to scan and email a document.

She was also very friendly and competent when I checked in.

It's an excellent four star hotel for the $80 a night I paid on www.hotwire.com.

Oh, and the sheets are SO COMFORTABLE!

Kansas City, MO
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I came in town for a conference the day of a major snow storm. Theresa Thomas was so helpful, so nice and incredibly professional. Thanks for helping me get a room. The buffet at the hotel was incredible too.

1 Thank travelmaniaks
New York City
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here for two nights recently, and had to switch rooms after the first night, was given rm. 417, which shared a wall with a service elevator which got quite active after 11pm. Did not sleep, but front desk immediately arranged for a different rm. for the following night. They shouldn't even sell that room, but the desk staff was very apologetic and helpful. They also serve a very good breakfast, complete w/ omelet station.

Room Tip: avoid any rm. that is near an elevator!