“Good location”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #98 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The location was very good for seeing the sights around the mall and had easy Metro access. The facility is clean and the room bathrooms are nice. Overall the hotel could be updated. I would rate the hotel as clean functional with a helpful staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank FBobroff
GregIBrown, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. Your gracious feedback is quite refreshing and very reassuring. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to the Nation's Capital. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,262)

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The location is very good and close to White House and walking distance to many monuments. The service at the hotel is just OK, it is a big machine but with certain lapses. Such as when I arrived no one offered to help with bags.

As Hilton Gold breakfast is in a very small and cramped lounge. The breakfast is poor but this is not unusual for US Hiltons, your basic continental breakfast with cereal and bagel and hardboiled eggs. Though this is much simpler than what I get in other Hiltons that let you eat in the main restaurant.

Room was fine, large enough and a big flat screen. Good wifi connection.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We are glad you enjoyed your visit to the Nation's Capital. We would also like to apologize for the services in other areas of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. We truly appreciate your comments and observations and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Capital Hilton in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We chose the hotel that is conveniently located next to white White House and close to DC's museums. Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. We had a room on the executive 11th floor. Room was rather small for family of four, likely reflecting the age of the hotel which was built during the second world war. Free continental breakfast is included for the quest located in the executive floors, this is a good bonus although the dining room was very crowded in the morning s during the holiday season. The real snag we faced was lying on the floor. We came across several large bunches of long white hair on the carpet. Knowing our hairstyle, these belong to some previous quest... Seemingly they do not vacuum the carpets.

Room Tip: As usual, higher floors tend to be more quiet. You can also ask a quiet room in sign in, try one awa...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments and observations while you were with us. We are glad to hear that our convenient location, and breakfast were a plus factor during your visit. We really appreciate your gracious comments but at the same time, we apologize for the services in other areas of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back at the Capital Hilton in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

The rooms are nice and reasonably priced. The staff is more than helpful and cheerful to boot. Everything has been clean and well kept. The location couldn't possibly be better. Easy walking distance from the White House, the national mall and all of the monuments. On the other hand, the room smells of mildew. Furthermore, the prices of room service are a lie. We ordered a $9 item, and paid ~17$ for it, due to a $5 room delivery charge and another random fee. Neither fee was mentioned before bringing the food. The parking fee is atrocious, $47. I accepted the fee thinking my car would be safer at the hotel only to find that the garage is not at the hotel and valet parking drives the car a block away to park it. I have no idea where my car is or if it is safe. Overall I think the price of the room is worth it, but don't order room service and try to park at a different garage.

Room Tip: Using the hotel's website to reserve a Queen room they give an optional upgrade for an extra $5...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

We would like to take this opportunity to thank for you for your posting. We always appreciate candid feedback from all of our guests, and we will make sure all of your comments are shared with the Hotel Management. We look forward to having you back in the future. Regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

A business trip brought me to DC and when booking the hotel, the Capital Hilton came up at a great rate ($109/night). So, I gave it a shot and a pleasant surprise. The hotel was pretty well maintained, the staff was great and the room was fine (a little on the small side, but certainly adequate).

My only complaints...there seemed to be a mildewy smell in the room, but it either got better, or I just got used to it. The only other thing, which is not really a fault with the hotel itself, but perhaps the location, was the street noise that filtered up to the room. I was on the 9th floor and it sounded like the traffic, with the horns, ambulance sirens etc, was in the room with me. These two "issues" are what prevented me from giving this hotel a 5 star rating on Tripadvisor.

So, if you are looking for a reasonably priced, DC hotel, in a decent location, with friendly staff, then you will probably be pleased with the Capital Hilton.

1  Thank Biz T

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I spend at least one week a month in DC hotels. The hotel location is convenient, but the service is a problem and you may end up paying for charges that you didn't make. In my case, a charge for dinner at the hotel restaurant was incorrectly added to my bill the night before checkout. It is understandable that sometimes an incorrect charge is posted. At checkout, I said that was not my charge and asked to have it removed from the bill. The staff suggested they would investigate and IF it was not my charge, then it would be removed. In several different ways, it was suggested that I had made the purchase and was now simply trying to dodge the bill. I didn't have dinner in the hotel. There are plenty of places within walking distance and in a half dozen stays I have never eaten at the hotel restaurant. Fortunately, I had a receipt from a business dinner that same night Hilton claims I charged dinner to my room. The charge was reluctantly removed from my bill at checkout although the staff made it clear they though I was simply trying to dodge the bill. I was disappointed but thought the matter was resolved. The next day Hilton made an additional charge to my credit card for the invalid dinner charge. It was very disappointing to be accused of attempting to dodge the bill. It was even more disappointing to see Hilton simply charge me for the invalid meal after I had gone through the questioning from the checkout staff and the charge had been removed from the bill. I am now disputing the charge with my credit card company.

1  Thank Dan M
GregIBrown, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

DC Business Trip - Capitol Hilton was a great value near Metro and convenient to city center. Staff was friendly and helpful. Minor key access problem in elevator was handled quickly by attentive staff. You could tell that they cared about their guests.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
GregIBrown, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014