Just got back from our DC trip and now settled back at home and this was 1st on my do list.
Travelled from Hawaii so it was already a long trip for my 2 kids and myself. We got in early so I knew it would be a gamble if our room would be ready and it was not. I think Theresa checked us in. I personally gave my cell number to call me when the room would be ready if done early. We started our sightseeing around town. It was now past 3-4p (regular check in time) and still no call, I naturally assumed because of the time it would be ready...real bad assumption. Got back to the hotel around 9pm and was anxious to get my 2 kids showered and relaxed in the room. We were very tired at this point. Got to the check-in line and Alice (manager on duty) was there and this is when my nightmare started.
Room was NOT ready, but she made us follow the bellman with our bags to the room. Housekeeping was still cleaning room. Bellman calls Alice and it sounded like she wanted us to wait until the room was cleaned. ARE YOU FREAKIN' KINDING ME?! it takes a lot to upset me and she pushed every button immediately. she then told bellman to take us to the corner room. holy crap, this was THE smallest room i have ever been given. 2 adults and 2 kids couldve spread their arms out and we wouldve touched one side of the room to the other. WTH....this was worst than a deluxe regular room. oh and btw, i paid for an upgrade too, expecting 2 DOUBLE BEDS EXECUTIVE FLOOR!!! (look on their website under this room category and look at the size). i was expecting this spacious room and what she gave me for all my troubles and inconvenience was 1/4 of that size. BS!!!
bellman now takes me to a junior suite. now WHY did she not give us this room originally? still not the spacious room anyone would expect for a "suite" but whatever i am finally satisfied. it is now almost 10pm. i just want this nightmare to end!
whats very frustrating is:
1. Alice knew I paid for an upgrade. by 9pm, she can tell in her computer system which rooms are ready. but yet she sends me to a "closet" to make me happy. what a joke!
2. no customer service at all. she was very rude and unaccomadating. she talked back to me too. she was very scarcstic the whole time. im sure she was rolling her eyes while talking with me.
3. Alice made me feel bad for not accepting and appreciating the "closet room".
4. this is a slow season for the hotel, no follow up phone call when i already tried to check in 12 hours before
5. I asked for Alice's business card because I knew i'd be doing this. she said she didnt have any and instead wrote her name in the back of the room card envelope. i probably wouldnt have seen it if i didnt take out all the room cards. how can you NOT have a business card when you've been a manager for 5 years? also, with experience, im sure you couldnt handled this much better.
6. this is some of the conversation i had with Alice:
-"What else do you want me to do? i've been doing this for 5 years and now you're telling me how to do my job?"
-"executive rooms ONLY have 1 king size bed". (i was looking at the hotel website and she lied to me
-"to compensate you, I will give you 2 free kids movies". im thinking, "THAT'S ALL?!" (btw, i was still in the closet room at this time). this was a slap in the face. thats suppose to make me happy and satisfied?
7. for being HHonor members, its the expectation to make us happy than the average tourist. we are members because we are loyal to hilton hotels.
My in-laws arrived the next day. I told them about my mishap the night before. they came up to see our room and they were very upset. their room was the 2 double beds executive room (the room i originally upgraded and paid for). we ended up switching rooms the remainder of our trip.
I honestly would have rated this Terrible for this property for obvious reasons. BUT the only reason why I gave it another star was the AWESOME breakfast service we got every morning at the hotel cafe. Nancy and everyone else were fantastic and she went out of her way to make us feel welcomed every morning. On our last morning, we didnt even order, she took care of all 6 of us. After 4 days, she knew what we all liked. She knew I enjoyed a toasted croissant. by the end of the trip she brought it out to me as soon as i sat down. amazing service! even my kids enjoyed Arthur (?) who cooked their omelets. our coffee, water, and juice were always refilled. we all looked forward to seeing her beautiful smile every morning. my kids even took a pic with her on our last morning dining with her because they said it was one of their best parts of their trips. =)
-i would spend the extra money and stay at another hotel closer to all the museums and better restaurants (ie, JW Marriott or the Intercontinental). Next time it will be the Willard Intercontinental.
-i would become loyal to another brand hotel who actually takes care of their members
-i def would not stay here on our next trip, but i would come back to see Nancy and everyone else in the cafe
-several positive things: concierge, bar, and restaurant staff were awesome!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hilton Hotels, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Travelocity so you can book your Capital Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capital Hilton Hotel Washington Dc
- Hilton Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Hilton