“Hotel within walking distance of many attractions”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #99 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

For a downtown Washigton hotel the Hilton was affordable. The car valet neglected to give me my parking pass and he didnt admit his error but I spoke to his superior and the matter was quickly resolved. The rooms had a cute kitchen " corner" for making drinks and preparing snacks but there was no fridge (however the ice machine was generous and we kept our food cold with ice). Overall the room had a clean appearance but there was a slight mildew smell near the air conditioning unit. Centrally located to many attractions. Staff was helpful. Close to 2 Starbucks and a Caribou coffee shop.

• Stayed: September 2012
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments and want you to know that we do have refrigerators available upon request, and at no charge. We will be happy to deliver one to your room. We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome and serve you at the historic Capital Hilton in the future.
Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,240)

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed for two nights for a conference held in the hotel. The room wasn't huge, but spacious enough for me and was in the shape of an "L" with the TV (large flat screen) and desk in the one part and the beds and bathroom in the other. The bathroom was on the small side, but was nicely remodeled. I liked the small touches like the shower feeling very spacious due to the curved shower curtain rod and the clear section at the top of the curtain that let in plenty of light. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, but the chair for the TV area was not. But with all the attractions nearby, who's sitting in their room watching TV anyway? The great location allowed me to see the White House and all the monuments and memorials around the National Mall within the few free hours I had in the evening. They are within walking distance, but if you're like us and get a bit tired, it's easy to grab a cab for the trip back to the hotel.

WIFI was $13.95 for 24 hours and the bottled water in the gift shopped was rather overpriced.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Only problem was the trash truck outside that woke me up earlier than my alarm. But this was on the street and was not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. Your gracious feedback is quite refreshing and very reassuring. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to the Nation's Capital. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed here for two nights, the location is great, service was wonderful. The building is clearly older but they do a nice job keeping it up. My corner room however; the bathroom was very small and the vent in shower was so low and directly over my head, it made showering uncomfortable. I also noticed crumbs and cheerios under the bed, was surprised under the bed was open, usually boarded to avoid this. I would return. May request not a corner room next time though, the street noise was very loud also.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The first room I was given looked at a painted brick wall about two feet from the window. When I complained, I was upgraded to a room on an airshaft. Suggest you make sure you get a room facing the street.
Otherwise, the rooms are clean, bathrooms are fine. The food is actually quite good. It's somewhat annoying that they charge for internet access in the rooms.
The location is great, and the staff go out of their way to be solicitous.

Room Tip: make sure you don't overlook the airshaft. it's dismal.
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Good value and very close to the White House, National Mall and the Smithsonin . Room was nice but a little small , very quiet and overall was a nice experience staying there. The staff was very nice and on 2 occasions the restaurant manager gave us great reccomendationd on local placed on interest. You are 3 blocks away from the White House.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review. It is certainly gratifying and reassuring to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. . We are also delighted to know that our friendly staff factored in the success of your visit. We take pride in our product along with our warm and welcoming staff but nothing could make us happier than to hear great compliments for our staff and the services they provide to our guests. We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel is close to the White House. And you can hear road traffic noises from the window. Room has rather basic settings. It was very average. But the customer service are very good. They have a members lounge with very basic complementary breakfast for members.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here recently on business. The front desk staff were very friendly and accomodating. I'm Hilton Diamond and was given an upgrade.

Positives- great location. I walked everywhere, but if you do, wear comfortable shoes. The valets out front will give you good directions and restaurant recommendations, and also will get you a cab quickly. Good, comfortable beds, which is a Hilton staple, and one reason I stay with the chain. Very clean, and air conditioning worked great. Executive lounge was okay, nothing special, but they did have Starbucks coffee in the morning, which was a plus. Didn't have any problems with the internet.

Negatives- there was construction in the lobby, I think to the lobby bar area. It really wasn't that bad, but not very welcoming. No refrigerator in the room- you would think that the suite would have one in it. That was very unhandy- I like to keep bottled water in my room when I travel, but I had to keep the ice bucket filled if I wanted it cold. Terrible view- mine was of the neighboring building, but I guess in a city where each building is right up against another, it's hard to get a good view. And, I probably wouldn't have wanted a front view due to traffic noise.

I didn't use any of the dining services at the hotel, so I can't speak to that.

All in all, it was a very nice stay, and if I have to go back to Washington, I'll probably stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business