“Convenient Location - Facilities Could be Improved Upon”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #94 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Des Moines, Iowa
“Convenient Location - Facilities Could be Improved Upon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. The location was convenient for sightseeing in the evenings and dining in the area. This was one of the 12 hotels in the Statler hotel chain of the 1930s, which was bought out by Hilton and this is the last one that is still owned and operated by Hilton. The interior is updated and looks nice, and the room was large. However, the hotel does not provide much else. While it is not uncommon for a hotel of this age not to have a pool (families may want to know that), and I am not intersted in a pool myself - I was shocked that the fitness room is only available to hotel guests at an extra charge of $15 per day. This is not a gymn or large fitness facility we're talking about - it is a row of treadmills and some free weights - for $15 a day!! I did not pay it, I would rather walk around sightseeing than pay to use a hotel treadmill for that price. If that isn't offensive enough - stop in the gift shop for a $5 bottle of water or a $3 candy bar and read the notice posted at the cash register that there is a fee for a bag for your purchase (.05). No free internet in-room, and all of the machines in the "business center" - provided for guest's convenience - first require you to swipe a credit card and pay for use. You can, however, sit in front of the counter and use the WIFI which is a secret that I learned on my last day, because that isn't mentioned in the hotel information in the room or at check in. You may want to request extra blankets, as they provide a top sheet and a thin coverlet, and that was not enough to keep warm at night. Housekeeping didn't do a great job cleaning, either. There were many, many body hairs in the shower, on the shower curtain, in the soap dishes, etc. The last complaint I have is that I requested a non-smoking room, which they provided, but the hotel does not designate non-smoking floors - so the hallways smell like 68 years of stale smoke and so does your room if your neighbor is a smoker. The smell is musty and not very pleasant. That was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask for extra blankets - they only provide a top sheet and a thin coverlet. The corner rooms have w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed there for 2 days to explore Washington's monuments and the Cherry blossom Festival and it was the right choice! Ok - the room was nice and clean but a little bit "vintage", the bed was excellent, the bathroom and especially the doors need some remodeling. Don't talk about the few from the windows - just walls - but didn't came to DC to stay in my room. Everything you need to explore was in walking distance and I have to compliment the staff and especially the concierge who was so helpful and patient to answer all my questions. If I come back I will stay there again - affordable price and excellent location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Lady2407
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We are delighted that our convenient location factored in the success of your visit. We appreciate and value your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the historic Capital Hilton.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I only stayed at the Capital Hilton for one night while in DC as part of a business trip, but that one night generated more than a few grumbles. First, the room. It was clean and adequate, but it had one of the worst views ever -- the wall of another side of the building. It was also a little on the small side. The bathroom was also exceptionally tiny with a low ceiling. I'm only 5'4" and lean, so it wasn't a disaster, but even I felt chlostraphobic. Getting around the door was awkward because it swang exceptionally close to the toilet. Then, there were some mixed issues with the service. In the morning, I called the room service line to order my breakfast, and it rang approximately twenty times before someone picked up the phone and then immediately hung up on me. I called again -- no anwer. I gave it ten minutes and tried again. Eventually, someone picked up the phone, and I ordered my breakfast entree. What kind of bread did I want? Wheat, I said. Would I like coffee? Sure, I said. When the food arrived (40 minutes later at the time they specified--so, at least that was good), I discovered that the toast and coffee were not included with my breakfast and their cost doubled my bill. There was no coffee pot in the room, so making my own was not an option. The breakfast was adequate, but it was not worth $40 when the entree was listed as being $19. I mean... $20 for toast and coffee?! While my company was paying for it, I try to be responsible with their cash given that it's a nonprofit organization and their funds are used to greater good elsewhere. The positives: The room was clean, and staff was friendly enough. With that said, I would definitely not choose to stay there again for business or pleasure on my next trip to DC. A hotel this expensive shouldn't be this aggravating.

Room Tip: If you care about not facing another wall of the building, you may want to tell them so. My view of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JackieKerouac
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We truly value your comments and observations. While we recognized the ever changing market conditions, particularly in Washington DC, we do our best to keep our pricing in line with the rest of the hotels in the area. We have also created a variety of value added packages for our budget conscious travelers.
We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome and serve you at the historic Capital Hilton in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We had a great stay at the Capital Hilton - the room was nice (not upscale, but above an average hotel room somewhere else), and clean. I did the bed bug check and found nothing.
Parking at the hotel is expensive - park off-site. It's a very short 2-block walk to The White House, and close to the McPherson Square Metro Station. It was nice being close to The White House and Lafayette Sq - so pretty! I would stay here again.

Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review. It is certainly gratifying and reassuring to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

When we checked in, the room was not really acceptable. I'll spare the details (it involved some limited mobility issues we had at the time) but when we went back to the desk, they were more than accommodating. It may have helped that I am a Diamond status with Hilton but they quickly found us a very nice room and offered to help us move our things.

The executive lounge is nice but nothing to write home about. A good place to step out of the hurly burly, however, and a pleasant place to sit a while at those times when you really want to get out of your room.

Our conference amenities were well handled and even though some construction was underway they managed to keep things flowing well.

And, of course, the location is great as most reviews note (except when the President decides to dine across the street, as he did during our visit, and the whole area of blocked and congested!)

So for a pretty much standard Hilton experience with a helpful service attitude, the Capital Hilton is a fine choice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. Your gracious feedback is quite refreshing and very reassuring.... We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to the Nation's Capital. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights to explore Washington DC. The hotel is located within walking distance of the major sights like the Whitehouse, the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial etc.

There are not a lot of dining and shopping options in the area. You'll need to travel to Georgetown, downtown or Dupont Circle. This is pretty do-able since the bus and metro station is only a 2 minute walk.

The rooms are huge, clean and modern. It would have been nice to have a mini bar / fridge in the room though.

Unfortunately the in-room internet at a Hilton is always quite expensive. Lucky it is free in the lobby and at any Starbucks or McDonalds (plenty in the area). I still believe that this should be a complimentary service though.

All in all, we had a great stay. Staff were very friendly and helpful!

Oh, a good tip for people who have a late flight out from Dullus. There's a Spa/Fitness in the hotel, they let us use their shower facility for free (Hilton Honors Gold/Silver) which was nice and refreshing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Capital Hilton. We are delighted that our convenient location and friendly staff factored in the success of your visit. We take pride in our product along with our warm and welcoming staff but nothing could make us happier than to hear gracious compliments for our staff and the services they provide to our guests.
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Got a great deal for three rooms on Hotwire for us and friends. Very clean, near everything as a tourist. Being a business hotel parking, breakfast, in room wifi are very expensive but that sort of goes with the territory. One of our friends expressed his outrage at the wifi charge properly pointing out that in this day and age in room wifi is the equivalent of having a TV or telephone in the room. They comped him and he shared. Nice place to stay, my favorite part: very fast elevators.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Imane B, Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We were pleased to note that our location worked well for your visit in Washington DC. We hope to have a future opportunity to host you here in Washington DC.

Best regards,