“Captial Hilton” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #90 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Miami, Florida
“Captial Hilton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

My favorite hotel in DC. I've stayed here twice. Two blocks from the white house and a few blocks from the metro station so getting around is so easy. My only complaint about this hotel is the outragous room service prices, when I'm travelling / on vacation I like to eat and go. There's a starbucks around the conor and a nice italian restaurant next to it. Also I would highly recommend taking the red line subway upto friendship heights, lots of restuarants up that way.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cruiseboy305
rapidresponse, Front Office Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments and observations while you were with us.I am glad to hear that our convenient location was a plus factor during your visit. I truly appreciate your feedback and took the opportunity to share with our Director of Food and Beverage your room service comments .

We look forward to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.

Thank you and kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Before I start my review I need to preface it by saying I had an awful experience here. That being said, my review and rating is not reflecting that, just the property itself. Because its still not a 1 despite my bad experience, just not as nice as other Hiltons.

Positives:
Great location, walking distance to White House, easy walk to Blue, Orange and Red line metro stations.
Big meeting spaces
Executive floor and lounge
Restaurants and bars on site, nicely laid out, and aesthetically pleasing when you walk in

Cons:
Paper thin walls, truly one of the nosiest Hilton hotels I've stayed at in a long time
Obnoxious housekeeping staff - The housekeeper on my floor started at approximately 8 am even on the weekends and basically threw every door open and closed so that it slammed shut at full volume. Given the lack of sleep from the thin walls it wasn't appreciated. They have a job to do, but slamming doors is unnecessary.
Parking was full (42 dollar valet and they don't even have capacity for a weekend crowd?)

This is obviously something that wouldn't happen on a normal trip, but my last day I awoke to a flooded carpet inside my room and the extremely loud sounds of machinery in the hallway. I never found out exactly what happened, but there was some sort of flood in one of the wings of the hallway. Truly the icing on the cake of a stay of virtually no sleep. The location of the hotel itself is great, but its safe to stay I will never stay here again because of the thin walled rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
rapidresponse, Front Office Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments and observations while you were with us. I am glad to hear about your postive reveiw regarding our location, meeting spaces, exececutive lounge ,restaurant and lobby bar.Conversely, I would like to apologize for the service in other areas of the hotel that did not meet your expectations. I have reviewed and shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping , Director of Property Operations and Parking Manager , regarding the housekeeping ,engineering/maintenance and parking issues. I would be very grateful if you would favor us with a return visit and contact ed.gollayan@hilton.com.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property soon.

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

the Capital Hilton is one of the best Hilton properties in DC. The located, property, and Staff are all terrific.I stayed here recently and greeted by the Concierge Floor staff that happen to be at the Front Desk when I was checking in. He, Steve H, always remembers me when i come and always has a very warm welcome to me. the Hotel is in excellent shape and it is always a pleasure to stay there.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room as far as i am concerned.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rapidresponse, Front Office Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Thank you so kindly with your great tripadvisor review.We are certainly gratified to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. . We are also delighted to know that our team member , in particular, Steve Hart, our designated" Guest Services Ambassador" and Concierge in the executive lounge factored in the success of your visit. We take pride in our product along with our warm and welcoming staff but nothing could make us more happy than to hear great compliments for our staff and the services they provide to our guests. We look forward to have the many opportunities to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in all your travels to the Nation's capital.

Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed at the Capital Hilton, Downtown DC. I took the SuperShuttle from the Reagan airport. My meetings were also at the Hilton. The hotel is very close to the metro. Across the street is a starbucks. I had breakfast in the hotel, coffee and a selection of bread, kind of expensive. The rooms are very big and very nice. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: close to the metro, behind the White house.
1 Thank daxootsu
Thank you for your tripadvisor review. We truly appreciate your comments and observations..... We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location, room accommodations, meeting spaces and friendly staff factored in the success of your visit to the Nation's Capital. . . We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future, if not sooner.

Union City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

recently stayed for 2 nights. good size rooms, neat and clean. service was great, always what you expect from a Hilton. met Shujaat concierge, found out he is the President of Concierge Association- no wonder his service was great. only negative, vent in bathroom was dirty.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dbb4216
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations while you were with us. I am glad that our Chef Concierge Shujaat Khan made it easier for you to navigate the city and enjoy the sights of Washington, DC. We truly look forward to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future, if not sooner.

Best regards.
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I had a terrific long weekend stay at this hotel. I found it on Hotwire and received an excellent rate. After finding out the name of the hotel that I booked at a discounted rate, I was a bit apprehensive after reading the mixed reviews. I had friendly, pleasant front desk/bellman service, and eventhough I was paying a discounted rate, I was treated well. I received an excellent room and it was very quiet, one of my requests for a room. It faced L street. Nice TV and good movie options in the room.Very comfortable bed and I slept like a log. This is one of the better Hilton's that I've stayed at. Usually, their heating/air systems are very loud, but not here. If you want WiFi in your room you have to pay; I chose not to. But there is free WiFi in the lobby and lounge, and it is a very comfortable place to sit and check your email. The location is excellent for walking/site seeing and using the subway. No need for a car at all, which is a good thing, since parking is $42 at the hotel. The only negative thing that I can say about the hotel is that the coffee is like dishwater. I find when I travel in the U.S., either the coffee is very good or very bad. The latter is true here. Not to worry, there is a Starbucks across the street. Each morning I joined the line of hotel guests making their pilgrimage to it. A scan of the lobby shows a sea of Starbucks coffee cups held in hand, and even morning diners take them to breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Overall, one of my better stays in Washington, DC.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rapidresponse, Front Office Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you for your great tripadvisor review. It is certainly gratifying and reassuring to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. . We are also delighted to know that our friendly staff factored in the success of your visit. We take pride in our product along with our warm and welcoming staff but nothing could make us more happy than to hear great compliments for our staff and the services they provide to our guests. I also shared you comments regarding the coffee with our Director of Food and Beverage.

We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Capital Hilton in the future.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as it was not too far from the convention center, but close enough to enjoy a run around the national mall and there are many good restaurants around it. In addition, it's a Hilton and I generally always stay at a Hilton for the points and the consistent service, amenities etc.

The amenities were great, the hotel is very nice and is in a great location, but the front desk was either not properly trained or lacked in the basics. I was scheduled to stay 5/16 - 5/19. I called to extend my stay through to 5/20. When I checked in they were able to accommodate the stay all in one room and make sure the extension was connected to my original scheduled stay. I also booked a stay for my business partner for 5/18-5/20, mentioned this to the front desk attendant and she made a note with her name etc. All was set right? Not at all.

I came back to the hotel on 5/17 after dinner and couldn't get in my room. Turns out, they had me as a "no show" on 5/16 and I wasn't charged nor do they have me in the room anymore. However, all my stuff is still in the room and clearly I stayed a night. After :10 minutes of sorting it all out, I was back in my room. I awoke 5/18 with a checkout invoice that was slipped under my door. Again, I was booked through 5/20. I went to the front desk and again explained that I am booked through 5/20, but for some reason they can't keep my stay all on one "invoice." I double checked that my business partners stay was still intact, not trusting them at all.

The evening of 5/18 comes around and my business partner can not check in as the reservation I made for her has been cancelled (by whom, no on seems to know - a complete mystery). In disbelief once again, I stormed down to the front desk. Not only did they cancel her reservation, but when they "found it", they booked her into my room, not a separate room. Seriously? They were going to book her in a different hotel and I said I would be leaving as well then. Apparently, they were negative two rooms, but for some reason, as the gentleman walked away to the back room, he came back and miraculously, they got her a room.

The kicker is, they billed both rooms to my business partners VISA rather than two separate invoices/card charges. I'm still trying to get that resolved, but am guessing it may take a large miracle. I'm still waiting to hear about that.

In contrast, their meeting room service people were terrific as we had a meeting scheduled for Sunday morning. They were professional and we had great service.

The hotel is very nice, but I'll think twice before booking a stay there again.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and observations while you were with us. I am glad to hear that our convenient location, room accomodation, meeting spaces contributed to the success of your visit. . I really appreciate your gracious comments but at the same time apologize for the services in areas of the hotel, particularly the front desk, that did not meet your expectations. I have reviewed and shared your feedback with our front office team and rest assured that similar incidents will not happen again.

We truly hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our property soon, this time in a different light.

Best wishes.