“Not worth the money”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #99 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Checked in today for a 3 night stay. Issue over booking when checking in, took ages with worried receptionists muttering about being full despite having a confirmed booking. Restaurant closed food available in the bar but it was freezing cold with icy blasts from the front doors. Internet access such a rip off paid for 24 hours only to find out the fee is per device not per room. Most hotels allow up to 3 devices for one fee. Not unreasonable to want to connect phone iPad and work laptop surely?

I am a regular worldwide business
traveller and come to DC every 3 months or so. Only staying here because my regular place (Donovan Hotel- highly recommended) is full. Thought this would make a nice change but very disappointing.

Rooms are clean and beds okay but no fridge, no mini bar, and whilst in good condition very old fashioned.

At $440 a night plus tax it doesn't make the grade.

• Stayed: March 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (3,240)

Reviewed March 8, 2011

My husband and I planned a trip to DC about a month in advance, just going for leisure and to see a concert at the 9:30 club. We stayed in Alexandria over the summer and decided that this time we wanted to stay in DC to keep the travel times minimal and be able to spend more time touring rather than worrying about hopping on the metro to get back to the hotel before too late, and also bouncing back and forth to rest or shower.

I had looked at many other hotels in the area ranging from $130-$150 a night, which is what I intended to spend. I took a chance and booked through Hotwire, just to see what kind of deal I could get. I chose DC/Capital Hill area and a 4 star hotel. I was overly pleased when my $92 a night hotel room ended up being at the Capital Hilton. I looked on other websites and it was running for about $200 a night.

The location of the hotel is perfect, about 2 blocks from 2 different Metro stops (McPherson Sq. and Farragut). Standing outside of the hotel you can look down the street and see the Whitehouse. Lots of restaurants and shops in the area!

Our flight got in way early and we were at the hotel by 8:00am to check in. I had called the day before to have them flag our reservation for early check in if at all possible. Luckily, they had one room left and it was a queen size bed rather than the King we booked..not a problem for us! The lady who checked us in was definitely not over friendly, I was kind of scared of her, but the point was that we got our early check in! All other staff members we came in contact with were super friendly and helpful.

Plan on not having a view, because there really is nothing to see, our room overlooked the roof of the lobby. Not a big deal for us! The room was well appointed, not huge, but had all of the necessities. There was a nice entry way leading into room with a large flat screen TV and a very comfy couch(with a pull out bed). The bed was very comfy, great linens. The bathroom was a decent size and very clean of course. If you are a light sleeper, you may be bothered by the street noise, lots of sirens. It did not phase us one bit though!

The hotel itself is very busy, there were several conferences going on while we were there and when we checked out I overheard someone telling the doorman that two congressmen were coming for lunch and to be prepared for their arrival. Very prestigious hotel.

The food at the hotel restaurant is very expensive, but it sounds great! The buffet breakfast was about $25 per person...but it sounded worth it!
I have never had a bad stay at a Hilton, and this trip just make me love them even more!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The room was fitted with a large flat screen tele, lounge, comfy bed, clean bathroom and overall a generally large room. Great location for transport and sight seeing, plenty of great places spotted around the place to eat out as well. 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Needed a hotel within walking distance to DAR Constitution Hall (check...it took 19 mins) that had big rooms, a bar/restaurant open late, was safe to walk to at night, clean, reputable and in my price range. This was it! I've stayed here twice before and it was good each time, which is why I chose it over the other hotels in the area. This time was actually the best! The bed was so comfortable and the room looked to have been updated recently (Rm 889). Every single staff member at this hotel that I came into proximity to said "Hello" or something similar to me and my travel partner. It was very pleasant and I'd definitely recommend this hotel and I'd stay here again. Oh, it's also caddy corner to a Starbucks and you can see the White House from the sidewalk in front of the hotel ~ 5 min walk (at most).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Good stay - not plush but solid - food I'm the bar was good.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Great location 2 blocks away from the White House Close to Train stations, bus routes etc. The hotel its self was just OK room were small (hear that’s a east coat thing) .

There were some issues very thin wall could hear everything in the room next door = \ and there was a lot too hear!

All the public restrooms on the main floor and in the ballroom had no seat covers and were out of toilet paper ….even in my room we had to call for toilet paper from house keeping!? … not sure what’s going on there.

The restaurant/ Bar in the hotel was totally over priced so don’t eat their or drink there, there are lots of places to eat idrink with in walking distances around the hotel. For being promoted as just remolded I didn’t think it look all that remodeled especially our bathroom ceiling had issues.

And remember your down town in a major city with lots of HIGH profile people, so lots of noise all day and night Police Sirens and motor Cades all the time!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2011

This hotel was impressive on several levels. We had requested and early check-in, we got it. We requested extra towels, they were there when we got there. We asked for a refridgerater and...you got it...it was provided. The rooms were large, and extremely clean. The bedding was superb and the pillow choices were perfect. This hotel is 2 blocks from the White House (could see Lafayette Park, the White House, and the Washington Monument from the front of the hotel). The rate (approx. $100 per night) was more than reasonable. This hotel is within a few blocks of 3 different metro stations and several places to eat. One note...the Burger King across the street is no longer open. We loved this hotel and would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family