“A mixed experience but more good than bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #39 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Guildford
“A mixed experience but more good than bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I had Room 409 for a week's business stay. It was a nice quiet room/ apartment. I particularly liked the kitchen which was big enough for two people to eat in and was well equipped with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The small CVS store next door made buying refreshments very easy. My room was large and very comfortable. The bathroom wasn't so good. It was a little dated and small, the plumbing was a bit "dodgy" and the shower hard to control but it was clean.
The location comments made by other reviews I agree with. Great location for business stay or for visiting kids in uni.
The biggest problem for me came out check out. Company account travellers beware! The hotel receptionist tried to charge me for my room even though my company had already paid. As my colleague and I had stayed there a week, this was a large sum of money. She was quite disinterested and only got the finance people in to sort it out because I was quite persistent.
This isn't acceptable. I've never had this issue before even though I probably travel 20,000 miles a year. This is something that needs attention by the hotel. A simple process to hand over my key should have taken two minutes. It took 30 mins in the end.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Commuterqueen
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Commuterqueen,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during check out, as the billing should have been clarified upon check in. Please rest assured knowing that the concerns you have mentioned are being addressed. However it is nice to hear how easily accessible our hotel was for you during your stay and we hope you will give us another chance.

Best Regard,

Declan Kealy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Niskayuna, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

My daughter, son, and I went down for the weekend to visit my son at GW for his birthday. We got a good deal online, so the cost was very affordable. The hotel was right down the street from my son's dorm so it was very convenient. We had a two double bed suite with a kitchenette that was comfortable and well provisioned. The staff was helpful and friendly. The room was very clean. We loved having HBO, which we don't get at home.I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you stand on a box and crane your neck a bit, you can see the Washington Monument from some of th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy L
Dear Nancy L,

Thank you so much for your review. I am delighted to hear how much our location and rooms suited your needs while visiting your son at GWU, as it is just steps away. We look forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you back to the State Plaza.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

This hotel used to be an apartment building, our room was big, with a full kitchen. Could use some updating for sure. The beds were comfortable The staff was great. CVS right next door to get snacks and drinks for the room. Foggy Bottom location was great, 10min walk to Lincoln memorial and the National Mall. Bus stop right out front, which drops off at subway station, or a 10-15min walk. It was myself and my teenage son, nice and safe location. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JennRN1966
Dear JennRN1966,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review. It is nice to know that you will come back and stay with us again due to our great amenities such as our apartment style rooms and our wonderful service. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Washington, D.C.!

Topeka, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

This reasonable-for-DC priced, Foggy Bottom district hotel used to be an apartment building in the heart of GW University. Our studio one-bedroom "suite" was clean and certainly sufficient for a week's stay on mixed business/vacation. My main hesitation to stay there again would be the lack of accessible taxi/cab traffic. After 3 or 4 instances of waiting 10 - 15 minutes to catch a cab, I started working with an on-call limo service to get where I needed to go by car. (Only $2 - $3 more per ride and SO worth it!) The kitchenette in our room had a full-sized fridge, stove top, microwave, dishes, cookware, and, utensils. There was also the standard coffee maker & packets of coffee. The bathroom was small but included a tub and shower. It was difficult to regulate the water temp and the drain was veeeerrrry slow, but, again, it was certainly adequate to meet our needs. The bedroom was very quite, while the sitting area (where the pull-out sofa bed was located) wasn't as insulated and got a bit more of the street noise. The 3-block walk to the metro was easy and there are a few nicer restaurants in the surrounding area. Staff were helpful and friendly. This hotel was priced about $150 per night below the rate of my conference site hotel. Used a AAA discount and it was even better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StatePlazaHotel, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear StellaStot,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to know that our spacious rooms with a full kitchen, and our convenient location were a great fit for you. I, as well as my team enjoy hearing such positive comments regarding their excellent service. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to D.C.

Florida Keys
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is its location near GWU and my daughter's dorm. That's about it. The hotel itself is old but clean. Our room was large and spacious but was not very comfortable. Bathroom was small. Shower water pressure was weak. Difficult to control hot and cold water. Bed pillows are uncomfortable. Noisy outside the room. No gym. No room service. Not even an ice machine. WiFi was free but slow. People were nice.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank rwkinfla
Dear Rwkinfla,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. I would like you to know that we are working hard on investigating and resolving the concerns that you have mentioned. I would also like you to know that we have a gym, room service and an ice machine, and I will speak with my team to gain more insight as to why you were not informed of the amenities that are available. If you have any other concerns please contact me through email at generalmanager@stateplaza.com. I urge you to give us another try on your next visit to the nation’s capital.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

This apartment style hotel was just okay. The bed was comfortable but the pullout couch was old-school... Staff was nice and very helpful. The kitchen had only one outlet so you had to unplug the microwave in order to make coffee or toast... Not very convenient but great location..

Stayed March 2014
Dear Kathleen K.,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is nice to know that you enjoyed our great location and helpful associates. In light of your concerns, I am pleased to let you know that we are currently undergoing renovations floor by floor. We are very proud of the new look, and we urge you to come back and stay with us again!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed at the State Plaza while on a business trip to DC, and it was fabulous! The staff were brilliant - nothing was too much trouble, and they were incredibly friendly and helpful. The location was also brilliant -- 10 munites walk to the metro (with easy access to everything from there) and also 10 minutes walk down to the National Mall (Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, etc). My 'room' consisted of a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom and was fabulous! It was like being at home.
My only slight criticism is that the water pressure in the shower wasn't brilliant, but I'm used to a power shower at home, so, really, it was fine.
Overall, I cannot praise the hotel highly enough, and I will definitely stay at the State Plaza on my next trip to DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchen! Definitely worth having.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Donna J
Dear Donna J,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our convenient location and friendly guest service. The fact that we are walking distance to the national mall and other attractions is one of our greatest assets. We were delighted to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!