“Location + Service = Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #37 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Oklahoma
“Location + Service = Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

A small group of us from across the country were attending meetings with the Red Cross. Reservations were made for us at this hotel. Many times when this happens the chosen hotel is adequate but not great. That was not true this time. We were all extremely satisfied here. The rooms are large and comfortable (not new and plastic just clean, functional and comfortable), the service was outstanding. Every need or want was met quickly with a smile. Example, when checking out on the last day the desk clerk asked if I needed them to keep my luggage until my departure from the area (my meeting was a block away). Not only did they hold my bag for me they also had a taxi ready for me when I returned to pick it up.
I did not have a car so I did not experience the parking fee but look at the location. You will pay a lot to park anywhere around here.
The restaurant did not quite measure up to the rest of the hotel but we only had one meal there. We did not experience any problems there, it just did not seem to compare to the hotel side. There are several really good restaurants within walking distance and there is no problem walking in the area in the evening.
Overall a very good stay along with productive meetings made for an outstanding trip.

Room Tip: Upper level room in the main tower.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ikiser
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear ikiser,

We appreciate your review and very glad you were extremely satisfied with your recent stay at The State Plaza Hotel. Our goal has always been to match our great location with even greater services to our Guests. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you once Gin on your next visit to Washington DC. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Spacious suite, clean and well furnished.

Good location, near metro station and within walking distance from many places, IMF, world bank, George Washington University.

Friendly and helpful staff.

Complimentary high speed Wi-Fi.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Soon W
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Soon W,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and we're glad you found our location good and convenient to many places including the Metro and large organizations such as The World Bank, IMF and GWU. We're also happy that our staff was helpful and attentive to your needs. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Washington DC. Take care.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I am so impressed by this hotel. The first night they put me in a very nice room, newly refurbished with plenty of space including large main area, a small kitchen, bathroom and dressing area. The next day, due to construction in that tower, they moved me. The noise was not all the bad and I was not fussed to move but they were concerned I would be disturbed. What a nice surprise to find they moved me to a huge suite and sent me a gift basket and note of apology. Moreover, the staff friendly and service is great. For example, I asked where I could find a post office and they sent someone up with google directions and map. Plus the person I spoke said if it was inconvenient for me to go to the post office myself she would post my letter on her way home. This is customer service beyond compare. Definitely would stay here again, have recommended to our agents in our travel agency and will spread the word on Facebook.

Room Tip: North tower is being renovated and the rooms are gorgeous but was happy with south tower room too
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank harleyziggy
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear harleyziggy,

We are very appreciative of your recommendations and thankful for your review. We apologize for the slight inconvenience while we make improvements but we're also happy you found our newly refurbished rooms very nice. We truly enjoy serving our Guests and glad to have made your stay with us a pleasant one. Until the next time, Cheers!
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We recently visited DC for a mini break and stayed in the State Plaza hotel in Foggy Bottom, for us it was a great location within walking distance of all the main attractions we wanted to see. State Plaza is an older hotel that looks to have been recently updated, the room was clean and the bedroom and bathroom were modern. The small kitchenette in the room was clean with fresh paint but the unit and appliances were a little dated. This wasn't a modern luxury hotel but if you are just looking for somewhere comfortable and clean to rest then I would definitely recommend it especially at the great prices.

This is a real hidden gem.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben M
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Looking to stay in D.C then this is the perfect place. It's not far to walk to the memorials and the metro is right there too. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. There is a mini kitchen if you need it and didn't want to venture out for dinner. Complimentary bottled water and newspaper was given everyday. The hotel staff always went above and beyond for us. Check in and check out was painless too!! This is a hidden gem in the city that is a lot cheaper than the big fancy hotels. I'd definitely stay here again and recommend here to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorna M
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

State Plaza in Foggy Bottom is a great stay. I have stayed there twice since 2011 and never have had a negative experience. My idea of a great stay is a small, quiet, nice place to rest. State Plaza is classy. Check-in/check-out was painless. Friendliest people. I have nothing but good things to say about this place. If you love the corporate chocolate of my pillow type place then don't stay here but if appreciate classy quality and hospitality then this is a great place.

Room Tip: They are all beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicholas C
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Nicholas C,

So good to read that you had a great stay with us and thank you for your review. Our aim has always been to be the friendliest hotel in town in our very own unique way being an independent hotel. Thank you for recognizing our efforts and we definitely hope to see you again.
buffalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Found this hotel in a Google search and and what a find it was!! It is less than a mile from the WWII monument and Lincoln Memorial. The rate was unbelievably great for Washington, DC (actually for most places) but the only negative is it cost $38 for valet parking. If you don't use valet parking, you are on your own to find a place to park. It was definitely more convenient to use valet parking and still makes the rate more than reasonable. Would stay there again without hesitation! Restaurant left a lot to be desired. Food was cold and mediocre.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear djlamlBuffalo,

We're glad you found us on your google search and that you enjoyed our location. We always make sure we're very competitive value wise with other surrounding hotels including our valet parking fees which remains lower than our competitors. Sorry. I know that doesn't make it less expensive for you. Would love to have you back and I have already shared your restaurant opinion to the restaurant manager so that we can continue to improve in all aspects of our food services. Take care.