“Convenient and Staff is great” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #39 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Arvada, Colorado, United States
“Convenient and Staff is great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed there for a long weekend. The location was great. We walked to/from the subway station, the White House and National Mall. Restaurants were also within walking distance. The staff was awesome. Helpful and friendly. We even talked Denver Bronco football. The room as great We liked having the kitchen. Sounds weird but the shower was awesome. Great water pressure. I have a friend planning a trip to DC next year and have recommended this hotel to her.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Terry B
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Terry B,

Greetings and we're glad you posted your review. We're happy you found many things to enjoy while staying with us and shower pressure might not be much to brag about, but it's the little things that make all the differences with us. Thank you for recommending the State Plaza Hotel and we hope to see you as well in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

State Plaza Hotel is conveniently located near the University and is within walking distance from the White House. The room was beautifully and elegantly decorated. The bed was comfy and the room was very spacious. It was much cheaper than the other 3 stars hotels in the vicinity. The valet was very competent and offered us an umbrella right away when he saw us coming back as we were deterred by the rain. We enjoyed our stay very much.

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here on a weekend to attend a wedding. I booked the hotel because of the location and proximity to the venue and ceremony. We were in a remodeled suite with bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen. It was very modern and comfortable, but most importantly so CLEAN! The staff went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. It is in a safe location and a short walk to all the DC attractions. You do have to pay for parking- $35 a night, but very convenient and car is ready in a matter of minutes. They also don't charge on sundays so that was nice. Overall, I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a place to stay and doesn't know the city that well.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed for one night on a weekend visit to DC. We probably would have stayed longer, but our stay was during the government shut down.

Overall, the room was spacious and comfortable, the location was good (especially if you like to explore a city by foot, as I do) and was exceedingly good value. I have just booked to stay here again next month (hopefully the government will have re-opened by then!).

Room: Our room was 737 in the north tower. The room was spacious with a large, comfortable bed. The bathroom was nicely done. We were asked at check-in whether we wanted a kitchen - we didn't so this room does not have one. I expect this is one of the updated rooms I have seen mentioned in other reviews. The corridors and exterior of the hotel look a little dated, but the room made up for this.

Staff: The staff were helpful and friendly, offering maps, guidebooks, a list of nearby restaurants and loan of an umbrella.

Location: I liked the location becuase it was close enought to walk everywhere, but it was quieter than the downtown. Meter street parking ended at 6pm on Saturday so suited our short visit.

Value: This hotel offers great value for the standard of room and the location in DC. I was pleasantly surprised.

I would stay here again (and have a booked another stay next month). It's not a luxury hotel, but is very good, especially for the price.

1 Thank Joe L
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Joe L,

Thank you for your review of the State Plaza Hotel. So sorry about the timing however on the government situation. Hope that your visit with us next month will be under better circumstances. We're glad though that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms spacious and nice. We look forward to welcoming you back to the State Plaza Hotel.
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I spent 4 days in Washington D.C. during an international conference. I selected the State Plaza Hotel due to the fact that it was close to the meeting place (National Academy of Sciences) and the Marriott hotel, where some parts of the meeting also took place. I also found out that it is in walking distance from various sights, like the White House and Capitol, the Lincoln Monument, the Potomak river etc.

State Plaza is conveniently located in walking distance from the Foggy Bottom metro station (less than 10 mins) which connects directly to the Ronald Reagan airport, which I used to reach Washington D.C. There is also a mini-market/pharmacy next to the hotel, which provides almost everything that you may need, including an ATM for withdrawing cash.

The hotel looks rather old but well-maintained and the stuff was really helpful at all times - their help during check in was really appreciated as I had an issue with both my debit cards and they offered a solution. In fact it seems that both my Visa and Mastercard debit cards were initially rejected for some reason (I suppose it was due to lower limits than the full amount of the hotel bill; I had to check with my bank but still there was an issue)

The room was huge and too big for a single traveller like me; however, it was the standard size of the hotel so there was no smaller one available. It also looked rather old but also well-maintained and it was easy to tell that it is more like a little apartment than a hotel room. Especially the bathroom looked more like a home bathroom (warm) and not as a typical hotel one (cold). There were two beds (I only used one of them as they were separated) which was really comfortable. The kitchen was also rather big and appropriate for preparing breakfast as it included most of the kitchenware needed for this purpose, along with a full-sized fridge.

The facilities included an iron board and an iron as well as a safe, and the common amenities in the bathroom (nice soap bar, shower gel and shampoo, among others. I also got a free newspaper every morning outside my room; this is something not common in Europe.

My overall impression of the hotel was nice and I would definitely consider the same hotel in the future. Next time I would be more prepared though with my debit cards in order to avoid the same issues of them being rejected. In addition, I was also frustrated by the fact that there was no response in my emails when I was trying to confirm my booking to the hotel; it seems that the contact email provided during the booking was not the correct one (or the recipient was not responsive). In the end I managed to get in contact with the hotel only using the hotel's online booking form. I am sure that this is something easy to fix.

Room Tip: The hotel consists of two main buildings, which are not connected to each other internally (at least...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vprot
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

It is a nice hotel, quite well located if you work at GWU or at the World Bank, but otherwise not so convenient (metro stations are not too close). I had a very large room with a kitchen and the hotel was very quiet. The staff helped to get a cab.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StatePlazaHotel, Director of Sales at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear krsto57,

Thank you for referring to us as a "nice hotel". We really appreciate your feedback. We are also just a few blocks away and one of the closest hotels to the National Mall for tourists just in case you didn't get the chance to explore that side (south) while you were here. We're glad you found our rooms large and quiet and that our staff was able to help you secure a cab. Take care and we hope you'll come and visit us again in the future.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Super convenient location. The hotel is a bit old. Apparently some of the floors have been updated, but mine wasn't.
HUGE suites! Plenty of room to stretch out. I like having a coffee maker in the room. Kitchen is also nice (although I didn't use it).

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business