“Great experience...Clean room, professional staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of State Plaza Hotel

State Plaza Hotel
Ranked #38 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Salisbury, NC
“Great experience...Clean room, professional staff.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I'm surprised by some of the other reviews that mention that this hotel wasn't clean. When my husband and I checked in, we were impressed by how clean our room was. It smelled fresh, the beds were crisp and clean, the floors were well vacuumed, the bathroom and kitchen were spotless. No complaints.

On our 1st trip up to our room, unfortunately our key cards didn't work. I had to make an extra trip to the lobby from the 8th floor. Luckily a maid let us in to put down our luggage before I trekked back down...the attendant at the front desk was apologetic and luckily the keys worked the second time. The same employee also called us a cab the morning we were leaving...if the hotel uses a specific taxi service, then this particular cab company was very good (prompt, courteous, clean).

We didn't have any issues with noise from other rooms...

It was about a 20 minute walk to the National Mall and about a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest metro station (Foggy Bottom/GWU)...

There is a little store right down the street (if you leave on the F St. entrance) that is mainly for college students, but anyone can shop there...basic food (incredibly overpriced though). There is also a Whole Foods about 3-4 blocks away (near the metro). The rooms do have kitchens with gas stoves, full size fridges, and stocked with cookware/dishware. Ours didn't have a microwave...which was a little odd I thought.

I'd definitely stay at the State Plaza Hotel again when visiting D.C.!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Katherine G,

Thank you for staying with us and we're happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience regarding the key not working the first time you used it. We'll make sure to look into this. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit with us. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This fit the bill for our objective of sleeping. The rooms are old but are clean and quiet. The hotel is a bout a 20 min walk from Georgetown and the Mall. Parking is $$ but if you play it right you park on the street overnight for free.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank TravTF
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My room was in serious need of a deep cleaning. Everything except the sheets and towels had dust, grime, or mildew coating it. The TV remote control had fallen (or been thrown) behind the dresser and when I got down on all fours to retrieve it, I looked under the bed and found old socks and paper wrappers. Yuck!!

The room itself was quite spacious, and quiet. So if this hotel could get its housekeeping together, this would be a more promising place to stay.

I stay at several different hotels in DC each year, and housekeeping is often below standard in this city. I guess that since the hotels will fill up no matter what condition they are in, management can easily get complacent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Human44
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The bed we enjoyed was very comfortable and our room was clean. We had only a few encounters with staff and it was all OK. As noted in other reviews, this is a converted apartment building, so it is a little noisy depending on your neighbors. We were awakened one morning by some yahoo yacking incessantly on his cell phone outside our door. Dude! Go somewhere else. The kitchenette is OK, but we really only slept here. There is a very tasty little cafe' up the street on the GW campus. There is a Metro station relatively close and it is not a tremendous distance to the White House and Lincoln Memorial. We just valeted the car and used public transit as well as hoofing it. I could swear there were about 40 miles on the car, though, I believe someone went for a little joy ride. It was a rental, but still, one would expect a little more. D.C. is crazy $ for a vacation hotel room, but State Plaza served us just fine.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel and ask to NOT be near the elevator!
Allen, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Pros: The room was very large with 2 comfy queen beds, a bathroom, a dressing room, a desk/table area, and a kitchen with a small table. The maid service was excellent. The staff was friendly. The location was not far from the metro and the capital bikeshare (which was a huge plus!). There were some nice restaurants near us (Circa and Founding Farmers). We were able to walk to the Lincoln Memorial.
Cons: It's an older hotel and seemed a little "low rent". I asked for a corner room with a view of the Washington Monument and did not get either. The elevator is excruciatingly slow! I wish that I had heeded the advice on this forum to get a lower floor so we didn't have to wait in the elevator, but I wanted a view instead.

Room Tip: If you want a view, try to get it if you can, but if you don't, ask for a lower floor room to av...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear TheCeccos3,

We're glad you enjoyed our large rooms and excellent maid service. We are getting more and more renovated rooms as we slowly but surely complete our renovations and we hope you'll stay with us again to experience them. Thank you.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

First, let me say that the entire staff I encountered was always friendly, helpful, polite, and professional. From the door men, to the front desk, to housekeepers and bellhops, all were great. Secondly, the room was huge with a full kitchen, which would be great for a long-term stay. The bathroom was also a decent size with plenty of hot water and great water pressure. The bed was comfortable as well. I would say the room was decently clean, but definitely not the cleanest hotel room I have ever been in. It could have used a better wipe down.

The one thing I need to mention as a lot of other reviews discuss is the price. I use to live in DC, and I know hotels can be pricey. However, I was on a work trip and the government rate was still $224.00 a night. I honestly do not think that is reasonable, but maybe it is. It still seems very pricey for a much older, out-dated hotel. Regardless of a great staff, the hotel is old and kind of smells that way. There is no gym or other amenities most hotels have these days. I think this is something to consider.

Lastly, other reviews mention the hotel's central location. It is right near the State Department, which is not a far walk to the National Mall, but that is kind of it in terms of a vacation hotel. In my opinion, this hotel is more for business travelers who are working in the area or parents visiting their kids at George Washington University since the university is all around. I think there are many other hotels closer to tourist destinations around the city.

Overall my stay was pleasant and suited my business purposes, but I can not say I would recommend this hotel in general for vacationers.

Room Tip: There are two buildings that are not connected. I stayed in the main one where the front desk is, wh...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicole G
GMatSP, General Manager at State Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Nicole G,

Thank you for taking the time for giving us your review. It is always good to hear back from our Guests. We're glad you found our staff to be friendly, helpful, polite and professional. I will make sure that our housekeeping director knows of the wipe-down issue and we will resolve this right away. The government rate in DC has not changed actually for the last two years and we are only a few of the hotels in this area that still offers the government per diem even when the week is very busy. I'm sorry you weren't notified or told that we do have a fitness center and it is complimentary. We are renovating the hotel floor by floor which should address the "outdated" rooms so we hope you'll consider us again the next time you're in DC. Regards.
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Every staff member we encountered was very helpful and friendly. We arrived 3 hours before check-in, soaked from walking in the rain, and they were able to get us into our room right away. We really appreciated that! The night before we left, Anna happily printed our boarding passes and hand delivered them to our room. Every time we needed something, a staff member was there promptly and cheerfully. We loved our suite and fully stocked kitchenette area! We bought groceries for breakfast at the CVS next door (Whole Foods in about four blocks north also), and were able to save a lot of money that way. We only wish they also provided a microwave, but the toaster came in very handy. (Even the in-room coffee was suprisingly good!) I asked for dish soap, which they provided, but the housekeeper did our dishes on the days that I didn't have time. Bathrooms were quite small, but clean and modern, and the extra vanity area helped make up for that. Loved the powerful water pressure in the shower! Towels were large, new, and fluffy. Bed was pretty firm, but comfortable with lots of extra pillows. Great, quiet location! Reasonable walking distance to many sights and great restaurants, or four blocks (10- 15 minute walk) to the Metro when we needed to go further. By the way, Metro is easy to use and the perfect way to get around DC! Unfortunately, the view from our room was mainly the brick wall of the building next door, but we didn't spend much time in our room anyway. We were directly across from the elevator and I was afraid the noise would bother me, but thankfully, it wasn't very noticeable. For the price, this hotel can't be beat! It became our "home away from home," and I would happily recommend it to others. I look forward to staying here again!

2 Thank dbaron62